Bass and Crappie near Austin?

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in Minnesota but considering a move to Austin. What is the bass and crappie fishing like near Austin with 30 - 45 minutes drive?
    2020 Ranger Reata 1850MS Merc Pro XS 150

2. Member
    No fish in Texas! They all moved back to California where there is water againcan’t help you for crappie but pretty much all centex lakes have a decent population of bass. Some lakes(lbj, stillhouse, Austin) have a better population of larger fish while others has greater population of numbers by mass(Travis, Decker, Belton). There are also smallies in Belton and stillhouse.
    2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited

3. Member
    Only thing you need to worry about in Austin is the Transvesticles and the rest of the alphabet brigade.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cx21 Pro View Post
    Only thing you need to worry about in Austin is the Transvesticles and the rest of the alphabet brigade.
    LOL I have noticed quite a bit of political division on the internet regarding the city.....

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    LOL I have noticed quite a bit of political division on the internet regarding the city.....
    Little San Francisco, keep Austin weird is the motto and nothing but liberals. UT had a anti gun protest a few years ago and the Qs chanted “cocks not glocks” defund the police type dump, Shithole of Texas is all it is.

6. Member
    Austin sucks!

7. Member
    Ok so back on the topic of fishing as this is a fishing website...anyone crappie fish around Austin?

8. Member
    Couldn’t give me house in Austin…

9. Member
    Hillsboro, MO 63050 & Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    Yep and the homeless camps on 290 has just ruined that area. That is why my place is 20 - 25 west of there and no need to go to Austin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cx21 Pro View Post

10. Member
    All the guys are on the money about all the bs Austin has turned into! Used to be a great city and everything was laid back and cool. Boy has that changed over the last 25 years! But to answer your question about fishing, there are several lakes in our area that hold a good number of fish. If not within the city there are several great lakes within a 4-hour drive north, south, east, or west. Honestly though, moving here is the last place I would move to if I were to move to Texas from up north! Tooooooooo many fags and liberals from California that bring all their bs with them that they claim they tried to get away from!! Plus, the cost of living here has gotten higher than in San Diego!!! Heard that 1st hand from a lady I met in San Diego in July while on a soccer trip with my son. The average cost of a single-family home is still over 600k! Hope ya find a place that works for ya, but I highly suggest you think long and hard about it before you make a mistake!

11. Member
    Bass lakes around Austin-
    Austin
    Travis
    LBJ
    Buchanan
    walter E Long
    Bastrop
    Fayette (awesome fishing)
    Belton
    Stillhouse Hollow

That consensus about the libtard city is completely true. Traffic is awful. Homeless camps all over the city. Just dirty. I work in Austin but live an hour and a half away out in the sticks. That said there are some great fishing opportunities all around here. Lots of lakes are low right now and if we don’t get some rain this spring you can cross a couple lakes off that list.

12. Member
    I live in Austin. Don't listen to the BS above from people that do not live here. It's a beautiful city, but like all cities has its issues. The liberal city government tag fits but doesn't bother me one bit, and I am far from a liberal.

There are many lakes within an 1-1.5 hours drive of the city that have some really good fishing. Fayette County to the east is one of states best bass lakes. It has a slot limit and 50-100 fish days are common. Decker Lake, (another slot limit lake) which is on the east side of Austin is a small lake with an excellent bass population. I fish there a lot because it is only about 30 minutes from my house. It has an excellent bass population and the crappie fishing can be good. Granger Lake is just to the north of Austin and has a top notch crappie fishery. The others listed above are also options. OH Ivie and Choke Canyon also aren't far if you want something different. One nice thing about central Texas is you can fish grass or rock lakes. Your choice. There is also a ton of high-quality stream fishing opportunities in the Hill Country just to the west of Austin for Guadalupe Bass and Largemouth. You are also within striking distance of the Texas coast should you want to fish the salt.
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 03-26-2023 at 11:19 AM.