Deep cycle or Dual?

Electronics setup will include mega 360, 2 helix at bow and 1 at Dash. Currently I have a Interstate group 27 battery and Looking to move to a group 31 until I can afford to buy lithiums, but I am curious do I go Dual or Deep cycle for cranking and all electronics?

Need to use a dual purpose or any of the top rated 31 series AGM's that meet your needed cranking specs. Many of the standard 31 series deep cycles do not have the cranking amps to start the bigger motors. You should try to adhere to the minimum cranking amp specs. for you motor.

With your electronics and assuming you have a larger outboard, you should definitely be looking at the top rated AGM's to avoid capacity constraints.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    Depends on what outboard motor you have, a battery that is labeled as "deep cycle" is fine as a cranking battery as long as it has enough cranking amps for your motor.

4. Member
    I have a 150 yamaha sho

5. Member
    Check out FVP Group 31 starting battery. Good luck.

6. Member
    agm batteries are basically both in one box
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by ayang View Post
    Electronics setup will include mega 360, 2 helix at bow and 1 at Dash. Currently I have a Interstate group 27 battery and Looking to move to a group 31 until I can afford to buy lithium's, but I am curious do I go Dual or Deep cycle for cranking and all electronics?
    North star, X2 or Odessey
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    I would go with a Group 31 commercial starting battery like the Napa 7234 or Diehard HDP30. I run one on mine as the cranking and electronics battery with 2 Garmin 9" and one 10" unit, power poles and livewell and have never had a problem.

9. Member
    Alot of good deep cycle batteries have a CCA rating also if you call the mfg. I believe the Trojans I am running are rated at 850cca. My trollers and cranking batteries are all the same. My cranking batt has a tough job with live well, 2 graphs and a sound system with a 1k amp. Never any issues with starting. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    One of these will do the job. They are expensive, but, high quality. Should last several years. However, if you see yourself getting into lithium in a year or two, then I would take bassfisher444’s recommendation, and just get an inexpensive group 31 commercial battery that should do until then.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    This is the correct answer for your set up. They are expensive but are a much better battery.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I would go with a Group 31 commercial starting battery like the Napa 7234 or Diehard HDP30. I run one on mine as the cranking and electronics battery with 2 Garmin 9" and one 10" unit, power poles and livewell and have never had a problem.
    I am not 100% sure but I think your SHO requires an AGM battery. Check with your owner’s manual. The NAPA batteries are great and I have used them on my 2 Stroke Optimax and ProXS motors.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    This is the correct answer for your set up. They are expensive but are a much better battery.

I am not 100% sure but I think your SHO requires an AGM battery. Check with your owner’s manual. The NAPA batteries are great and I have used them on my 2 Stroke Optimax and ProXS motors.
    Were Great, seeing a lot of early failures on then lately, 18 month warranty, I wont use them any longer or recommend them.
    If you consistently pull them down 50% or more, don't expect 18 months of service
    Thank You Leon Pugh