Installation and Set up for Active Target and HDS Live

I bought a new HDS 12 Live and Active Target (Gen 1) last night and will be installing it tonight, probably all weekend . The live 12 will be going at the bow and connected via ether net and NMEA 2000 to one HDS Gen 3 and One HDS Gen 2 unit at the console. Also on the NMEA network is a Point 1, an external temp sensor, and SmartCraft. I have existing dedicated power for the bow unit that runs directly to the battery. My trolling motor is an Ultrex with the internal sonar. The active target box will be mounted in the center rod locker on my Ranger. I have a few questions.

1. Reading another post I don't think the Gen 2 unit will work on the network with the Live unit. Is this correct? If so, can the gen 2 unit be disconnected from the ethernet network and remain attached to the NMEA 2k network to access the Point 1?
    2. How high up the shaft of the trolling motor should I mount the AT Transducer to avoid interference from the motor?
    3. Can I use the transducer built into the trolling motor for regular sonar and turn it off when using the AT?
    4. I have an accessory switch available on my bow panel. Would you recommend using this for the wake up wire on the AT box?
    5. When I use Active Target do all other sonar sources on the boat (Side Imaging, regular sonar at the console) need to be stopped?
    6. My current laptop does not have an SD card slot so getting a software update on the card will be a challenge. I see the new Live unit has a USB port. Can I upload the software update to a USB drive and update the software that way.

Thanks in advance for the help. I am sure I will have many more questions once I get into this.

2. Member
    1) yes
    2) most say 8” but I have had one on the barrel for a long time with no problems and have one beside the barrel but not mounted to it now and have no problems
    3) yes
    4) yes
    5) no
    6) no, gotta be done by the card , usb port is for video use

3. Member
    For #5 rather than answering, I'd say wait and see. Most installations I see will have a pulse going across the screen from other sonars. You may have it you may not. You may be able to live with it, you may not. Best advice is to check your own system. But USUALLY you will need to turn off pinging on all sonars on the boat.
    For #6, if you have no other way to do it, you can update the Live by WiFi connected to your home system. I don't recommend that but it can be done and I have done it previously. I now use exclusively mSD cards and you would need one in the unit even to do it by WiFi. If you can figure out how to connect to your home WiFi, they unit will check for updates automatically

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

4. Member
    For your laptop w/o a card reader issue; If your laptop has a USB, there are plenty of USB card readers out there to suit your needs.

5. Member
    Thanks guys, I got everything installed and updated. Will be hitting the lake tomorrow and will be coming back with more questions I am sure.

The only issue I ran into is that the transducer plug does not fit the blue sonar port on the HDS Live. Is there a jumper or converter to make not work?
    Last edited by CLT; 03-24-2023 at 08:16 PM.

6. Member
    Yes there is a converter cable to make it fit the 9-pin style sonar port on the LIVE. Search for the part number or someone will come along and let you know what it is...you can get it at Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas.

BTW, mount that AT transducer as high as you can on that Ultrex shaft as the ultrex magnets and radio frequency will interfere with your image and direction finder.
    ciao,
    Marc

7. Member
    Adaptor is called Lowrance 7 to 9 pin. Google it. They are available everywhere
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

8. Member
    Thanks

9. Member
    Lowrance 000-13313-001 7 Pin Blue To 9 Pin Adapter