Listing on plane

My friend has a 2019 trx 21 elite that lists badly when getting on pad. He’s running a 26 trophy. Normal fun fishing load. Full tank of gas or 1/4 tank. Live wells empty. Does it with just me or with both of us. It will even out with some trim or with speed but trying to run slow on pad is bad. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Member
    Seems like mist Tritons lean. Older models are worse because the fuel tanks were under the seats and fuel shifts in turns.

Use a 48” level & balance the load by redistributing weight to port or starboard. I have mine set up so I fill port livewell when fishing solo & starboard livewell when I have a partner. When fishing a tourney I have co-angler put all his heavy tackle in starboard aft compartment.

Good luck.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

3. Member
    It sits level in the water not moving. Happens when taking off or going slow. There’s really no extra weight in the boat. Almost seems like prop torque if that’s a thing. Doesn’t matter if I’m alone or with a passenger. It’s not a little listing it’s bad. But once I trim up slightly it evens out some or if I stomp on the gas it evens out. Runs fine once I’m at speed. But trying to go 25 in the canals is a challenge.

4. Member
    That is different than mine….partner really helps balance mine. You should try filling one livewell to see if the extra 144 lbs helps.

You might also think about shifting your batteries around…..some previous posters reported that helping…..especially with Lithiums or after adding ppoles.

I added a cb marine foil for different performance reasons but it really aids my boat plane at low speeds…..I can ride on plane at 16 mph gps when solo & just a little faster when a tourney load & partner. Not saying that is the right thing for your boat but it really helped mine.

good luck.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

5. Member
    At those slower speeds, it's the keel still cutting water, and the boat is prone to listing whichever way the imbalance is. Work on weight distribution, otherwise, as you trim up, you'll lift the keel up and the boat will flatten out as it transitions to running on pad.

6. Member
    My 2017 had the bad lean at low speeds or launch. I purchased a CB Marine foil and all of the is gone. Just my experience. It doesn't matter now what load I have and or speed, its gone.
    2017 Triton 21TrX Elite
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Ultrex 112, Mega 360 w/ Helix 10 Di Si Meg+
    Garmin Livescope + on an Ultra 122SV at the bow.
    Garmin Ultra 122SV and Ultra 126SV at the Helm

7. Member
    Frosty, I have a TR-196 and have posted about the same issue. I've balanced everything out, added lead weight where passenger would sit, tried different props, adjusted motor height, swam under the boat to check the hull for damage or blisters, shifted weight from front to back and back to front and every place in between. Still does it.

It's real bad at slower speeds but does go away over approximately 23 mph. I've been told it's everything from prop torque, balance issues, water soaked hull from sitting outside (lol, even though it's garage kept), to the way Triton TR series rides on it's pad. I think it's just a Triton issue, characteristic, flaw or whatever other word you'd want to use.

I have a 26 Tempest+. I've tried a 25 tempest+, a 25 Trophy, and a 24 Trophy. Though changing the prop did not remove the low speed listing, the 24 Trophy did get me to the speed at which the listing goes away a little quicker, and maybe it was in my head, but it also seemed to lessen the issue.

If you figure it out let me know. I've spent way too many days trying with no success.
    Last edited by FishingKY; 03-31-2023 at 07:45 AM. Reason: added prop info