Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ionic battery showing 2.95 volts first time use

First time out with brand new one time charged Ionic batteries and could not power my 24 volt motor due to one battery only showing
    2.95 volts while the other was over 13. Charged to 100 percent according to the app and deployed motor and got nothing. Testing was fine at the house, charged with brand new lithium compatible charger. Checked with volt meter.

Any ideas would be helpful. Tried plugging in charger to "wake" the battery but no joy. Did not show charging on the same battery while plugged up to the charger. Not really sure what to do next. Texted Drew but got no response yet.

Not a very happy ionic customer as of yet.

2. Member
    wake the battery up by jumping it to the good battery. Leave jumper cables on it 5-10 minutes to wake it up. Then it should take a charge ( with jumpers removed).

3. Member
    Tried that first. Got back to place we are staying and plugged up charger... nothing changed.

4. Member
    What charger are you using?

From what I have read some chargers will not wake up a battery

connect it in parallel with the other 12V lithium
    "The handicapped angler"

6. Member
    MINN KOTA ON-BOARD PRECISION CHARGER MK-212 PCL

7. Member
    Yep, that MK charger should have woken it up! Sounds like a dud battery.

8. Member
    Dang it. That's what I was afraid of..first trip of the season gone. Crap.

9. Member
    Really cannot say I'm impressed at all with these batteries with not even one trip without issue.

10. Member
    Ionics will make it right they are a great company and great customer service

11. Member
    Everyone hates to get a dud but I believe Ionics will back their product and help you out.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JT2012 View Post
    Really cannot say I'm impressed at all with these batteries with not even one trip without issue.

once it gets settled/fixed and you use the batteries a few times, you might appreciate them a bit more. I wasn’t impressed at first, mostly due to the cost; but now I’m fine with it and won’t go back to regular batteries if I can avoid it.

Who knows, Andy might have a way to get it working, without sending it in.

13. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Jeff I replied to you PM, Please contact me at the office, call or text 910-722-0001, Ill be happy to help sort out the issue
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

14. Member
    Couple years ago I had a 50 amp hr do the same thing...everyone kept saying just wake it up...tried it several times. Called Ionic...same story, the tech I spoke with told me I was just doing it wrong. I assured him I wasn't and something more serious was wrong. I was due to go to a conference about 30 mins away from the headquarters in a couple weeks so I told them I would just stop by with it. After all shipping is a pain. So Stopped by they tested it and say" Well your right something is definitely wrong here"....Tech walked over to the shelf picked up a brand new battery and said here you go. So long story short...definitely will stand behind the battery with the warranty but it may take some doing to get them convinced.
    2013 Ranger Z521, 250 ProXS

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by royalsblue View Post
    Couple years ago I had a 50 amp hr do the same thing...everyone kept saying just wake it up...tried it several times. Called Ionic...same story, the tech I spoke with told me I was just doing it wrong. I assured him I wasn't and something more serious was wrong. I was due to go to a conference about 30 mins away from the headquarters in a couple weeks so I told them I would just stop by with it. After all shipping is a pain. So Stopped by they tested it and say" Well your right something is definitely wrong here"....Tech walked over to the shelf picked up a brand new battery and said here you go. So long story short...definitely will stand behind the battery with the warranty but it may take some doing to get them convinced.
    There is a reason behind that. In the aircraft industry, where parts failures are diligently monitored, the vast vast vast number of parts taken out of service are found to be without fault. The weak link is usually the operator. And these are supposedly trained mechanics that are misdiagnosing the parts problems.

“Wake up” voltage isn’t 2.95v if you are using a meter. With a meter it will read 0v. Because when a lithium goes to sleep it literally breaks the connection internally via the bms. If the battery is in sleep mode such as it arced and shut off by touching posts together or it’s ran dead to 0% it will not even be able to be found on the app from my experience. To me sounds like something internal isn’t right with the battery like a broken connection possibly.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    “Wake up” voltage isn’t 2.95v if you are using a meter. With a meter it will read 0v. Because when a lithium goes to sleep it literally breaks the connection internally via the bms. If the battery is in sleep mode such as it arced and shut off by touching posts together or it’s ran dead to 0% it will not even be able to be found on the app from my experience. To me sounds like something internal isn’t right with the battery like a broken connection possibly.
    Unless it’s like mine…which can never be found by the app. I don’t have the time to send it back and be without a battery either

18. Member
    The battery has since started showing proper voltage again and has been used once successfully. The setup used roughly 6% of both batteries for
    a 6 hour period of fishing. I guess I will build some trust in it the more I fish with it. It has warranty so I am not
    too overly concerned about it. I have this on a jon boat and have a gas motor back up so all should be good...and not get stranded.

I gotta be honest though...I really did think about sending them back and go back to lead acid. My last set lasted 7 years in the boat but I really wanted
    the weight savings so I ultimately decided to keep them and roll the dice on the one.

Quote Originally Posted by JT2012 View Post
    The battery has since started showing proper voltage again and has been used once successfully. The setup used roughly 6% of both batteries for
    a 6 hour period of fishing. I guess I will build some trust in it the more I fish with it. It has warranty so I am not
    too overly concerned about it. I have this on a jon boat and have a gas motor back up so all should be good...and not get stranded.

I gotta be honest though...I really did think about sending them back and go back to lead acid. My last set lasted 7 years in the boat but I really wanted
    the weight savings so I ultimately decided to keep them and roll the dice on the one.
    you made the right choice

20. Member
    Yep, it just takes some time to realize that they are worth the cost and totally no maintenance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast