New to me boat help...! (2020 225zx)

Lookin for some solid input as I have been scouring for a boat in my price range. Found a 2020 225 but after reading on all the yamaha sho issues with blown power heads etc I am definitely leery. The time frame I am looking is 2016 to 2020. Problem is most used skeeters in this year and my price range have 150-250 hrs on them. I preferred a 250 zx, however stumbled across this 225 with only 42 hrs on it. It was one of the only that still had remaining warranty 2025 with the option to extend it out a year. Im thinking this would be a wise choice however, I would be giving up a foot of boat. Does the 2020 model have "most" of the issues worked out..? I would feel semi safe with the warranty, "I think"... What is the predominate hr range on the sho that most of them were blowing up...? and would it be safer to buy a motor with more hrs that is out of warranty (past potential failure point) or go with the lowest hrs possible with warranty and pray for the best... Just hesitant to go this deep on a boat and have to worry about the motor going pop in the back of my mind. Any input / advise would be greatly appreciated..

2. Member
    If you are so worried about a Yamaha blowing up, why are you shopping Skeeter? Now days in the bass boat world it’s basically Yamaha or Mercury. If you don’t want a Yamaha then stop looking at Skeeter. I own a 2018 ZX225 and am on my original power head. I would buy another Skeeter/Yamaha in a heartbeat!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dreese View Post
    If you are so worried about a Yamaha blowing up, why are you shopping Skeeter? Now days in the bass boat world it’s basically Yamaha or Mercury. If you don’t want a Yamaha then stop looking at Skeeter. I own a 2018 ZX225 and am on my original power head. I would buy another Skeeter/Yamaha in a heartbeat!

Here we go- read the post- If I didnt want a skeeter I wouldnt be on the site- matter of fact I currently own a skeeter. I was looking for input on the newer yamahas which I am not familiar with...
    Appreciate the guidance though..

4. Member
    Any motor can go at anytime. That being said I’m buying a 2017 zx225 with 30 hours and no warranty. Picking it up Monday. Price is right so I’m going all in. I have confidence in the sho cause one my best friends has had one for 8 years and has put 1200 hours on it with no issues. If it’s breakable and fragile, he would have broke it. He’s very hard on equipment. I’m like you and I’ve read every thread about shos and some blowing up. I’m gonna take mine and out fill it with fresh gas and run the hell out of it for several hours and get it hot to seat everything. Monitor oil levels and keep everything serviced. I’ve Been a merc guy my whole life but am ready for a change.

5. Member
    My last 2 outboards had warranty and I was always worried about having warranty. I decided on my last boat to buy older and not worry about it anymore. If it blows, it blows. Well I put 350 hours on a 2007 Optimax. Same one everybody says blows up all the time. It never didn’t start and run like it should. If you like the boat and it’s been cared for I say go for it and worry about what the fish are biting. Yamaha builds solid products as does Mercury.

6. Member
    I don’t have one, but I’d not hesitate. I think the issues have been pretty well ironed out. I would expect any engine from
    any brand to go 1000 hours plus. If you think about the sheer volume of engines out there all over the world and salt water boats, they are quite reliable.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

7. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    I sometimes believe we have access to way too much information and a lot of times its negative information. I just bought a 2014 with 194 hours on it. I read and read and read. I came out of a 2004 Evinrude that had treated me great. The more I read on the SHO the more nervous I became. Then reality set in. For every post on here or on Facebook I could find about the issues I could counter that with friends/fishing acquaintances that were running these engines with zero issues. Some are maintained to the letter of the manual and some get the oil changed gas put in them and are wide open everywhere they go. I've had mine out a few times and I love it. I think you will be very happy with the SHO.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude520 View Post
    I sometimes believe we have access to way too much information and a lot of times its negative information. I just bought a 2014 with 194 hours on it. I read and read and read. I came out of a 2004 Evinrude that had treated me great. The more I read on the SHO the more nervous I became. Then reality set in. For every post on here or on Facebook I could find about the issues I could counter that with friends/fishing acquaintances that were running these engines with zero issues. Some are maintained to the letter of the manual and some get the oil changed gas put in them and are wide open everywhere they go. I've had mine out a few times and I love it. I think you will be very happy with the SHO.
    My point exactly, you probably said it better. For every time someone might have an issue or complain online there are probably 5,000 engines out there running flawlessly.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

9. Member
    I have a 2019 ZX 225 and its a very solid boat. It isnt flawless but it has been solid. The SHO is by far the most solid piece of equipment on the boat. I have no concerns about it. Ill never run a merc.

10. Member
    I’ve had a 2013 sho with 480hrs no problems. Currently have a 2020 sho with 290 hrs zero problem. 150-250 hrs is nothing on a motor