2016 250 pro xs compression

I’m looking to buy a 2016 250 pro xs. It has a total of 296 hours and most have been under 5k rpm’s. Been cared for and all the required maintenance has supposedly be done by a certified mercury mechanic. Compression is,
    1- 111
    2- 112
    3- 114
    4- 115
    5- 105
    6- 108

i was a little concerned with the compression numbers, especially 5 &6. What do you think?

2. Member
    I typically look for all numbers within 10% so nothing overly concerning that way. In terms of the actual numbers I was thinking these normally run 110-120 but someone with better knowledge of that will be along to help you out.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'm just going to make a guess that the battery may have been weak. Charge battery fully, retest starting at #6 and working UP.

See if the results aren't better. And see if you can get the Serial Number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Unfortunately the guy selling it has already swapped it with a new four stroke and has it in a crate ready to be loaded up. I called a couple dealers and ran it by them and they acted like everything sounded fine. I guess I will be going to pick it up this weekend.
    Last edited by Tyler Cole; 03-23-2023 at 08:02 PM.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The numbers are within specifications- just that the lower two are a bit lower than normally seen. Good idea to run it a bit after install, then recheck starting at the bottom and working up (with a battery of a bare minimum of 975 CCA for fishing applications).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor