View Poll Results: Screen Protectors on Electronics

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I use Screen Protectors for my electronics

17 41.46%
  • No - I do NOT use Screen Protector for my electronics

24 58.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Screen Protectors for Electronics - Yes or No?

I'm stepping up to 12 inch screens for the first time (Taking advantage of the discounted HDS live units). Should I buy the close- to-$50 screen protectors for my 3 units? I cracked one of my Helix screens in the past.

2. Member
    Well that just about sums it up.

3. Member
    Well I took a jig right to the center of my Carbon 12. My heart sank looking at the huge crack. Removed the protector, and the screen was perfect. Precision Sonar honored the warranty with no issue, all I had to do was pay shipping. IMG_3740.JPG

Precsion Sonar has warrantied two protectors for me. I've complained about protectors in the past (glare, reduced touch sensitivity, etc) but for peace of mind I am running them on my two units up front. I'm not running them on the console units anymore though.

5. Member
    100%. I feel like the screens easier to clean and they flat work. I cracked one with a jig, no damage to the unit screen.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

6. Member
    The one on my Carbon 12 works great, the one I have on my Live 12 is horrible. It ruined the touch screen capability. In fact I want to figure out how to remove it and take my chances that it could get hit and cracked. Both are on the bow.

I use them. The anti glare versions suck though.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Member
    Do you have one on your cell phone? Then why not your expensive graphs.

9. Member
    They all the same or does one brand out shine the rest. I heard precision sonar ?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n8cas View Post
    They all the same or does one brand out shine the rest. I heard precision sonar ?
    RMP makes some also, I’ve had a couple for a while but been to afraid to put them on after people talking about the glare and touch sensitivity being affected.

11. Member
    I don't like having them as the screens do seem a bit more susceptible to glare but I have them on my bow units anyway. Figured I'd rather deal with a little more glare than bust a 15" Solix or 16" Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by ColbyKiller View Post
    I don't like having them as the screens do seem a bit more susceptible to glare but I have them on my bow units anyway. Figured I'd rather deal with a little more glare than bust a 15" Solix or 16" Garmin.
    Yep, this is pretty much why I put them back on the bow units. Think I need to adjust the angle of my units now to help a bit with the glare though.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Yep, this is pretty much why I put them back on the bow units. Think I need to adjust the angle of my units now to help a bit with the glare though.
    I just recently readjusted one of my screens to try to help with this. The other can’t move much. It’s not so much an angle glare as it is like it whitewashes the screen. Not enough to keep me from using it for protection, but it is definitively annoying after having used without them. Still gonna keep them on though.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kacordy View Post
    The one on my Carbon 12 works great, the one I have on my Live 12 is horrible. It ruined the touch screen capability. In fact I want to figure out how to remove it and take my chances that it could get hit and cracked. Both are on the bow.
    Just get a fingernail under one corner and pull slowly. They’re not what you would think of as having adhesive on them. There is some but it’s not aggressive at all. Slow steady pressure should get it right off.

15. Member
    I bit the bullet and bought the clear glass protectors from Precision Sonar. I hope it doesn't affect the Active Target viewing. The whole reason I got the 12's is for better viewing quality, lets hope these protectors don't hinder the view.

QUESTION: How much is a cracked screen repair let's say for a Lowrance HDS Live 12? (Good to know if I hate the protectors, take them off and then follow it up right after with a jig to the center of the screen)

I bit the bullet and bought the clear glass protectors from Precision Sonar. I hope it doesn't affect the Active Target viewing. The whole reason I got the 12's is for better viewing quality, lets hope these protectors don't hinder the view.

QUESTION: How much is a cracked screen repair let's say for a Lowrance HDS Live 12? (Good to know if I hate the protectors, take them off and then follow it up right after with a jig to the center of the screen)
    Lowrance won't repair them, so basically whatever your insurance deductable is as you'll be buying a new one most likely. :(

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Lowrance won't repair them, so basically whatever your insurance deductable is as you'll be buying a new one most likely. :(
    You mean call up Geico Marine and say it got cracked while driving on the road? My Ranger is an 05 - and I buy insurance for boat n stuff plus 10 k in accessories. This would fall under that umbrella? Sorry for the dumb question, but my electronics have always been secondhand and no greater than 10 inch. I cracked my Helix MSI before (which was my most valuable graph) and just dealt with the crack and did not repair.

You mean call up Geico Marine and say it got cracked while driving on the road? My Ranger is an 05 - and I buy insurance for boat n stuff plus 10 k in accessories. This would fall under that umbrella? Sorry for the dumb question, but my electronics have always been secondhand and no greater than 10 inch. I cracked my Helix MSI before (which was my most valuable graph) and just dealt with the crack and did not repair.
    Typicially it would be covered under your boat insurance physical damage policy.

19. Member
    I don't know how you guys are hitting a screen that is pointing up and backwards with a jig, unless you're fishing backwards. I have never hit a depthfinder of any kind in the face with a jig or worm weight in 50 years of fishing. Maybe I'm just lucky. I've hit myself and everything else, but not the depthfinder face.

20. Member
    It is very easy to do. Especially punching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast