Thread: Where to start

Where to start

I acquired a 97' 200 efi. Power head was rebuilt. Oil reservoir removed ( must add oil to gas, advanced timing module removed. . supposedly replaced impeller. Boat/ motor has been sitting 8 months. Owner says he cranked it on muffs a couple times over that period. I put fresh gas 10 gal. And a qt. Of oil, and pint of sea foam and it cranked right up. Ran fine. After 10 min. Steady alarm came on. I shut it down waited 30 seconds restarted... No alarm. Ran at 3000-35000 rpm for a other 10 min. Alarm again. ( 12 psi at idle,15 psi engaged, 20 psi at 3500 rpm. ) shut down and immediately restarted... No alarm. Repeat as above. When alarm came on I left engine running maybe a min before shutting off then restarted immediately and no alarm. Pulled bowling heard no steaming or crackling as if engine was hot. Then the last 15+ min of my break in run no alarm. Next day only one alarm during break in perod. I would think if it was impeller my psi would be weak. I'm thinking it has something to do with disconnect of oil pump or the power packs Any advice appreciated.
    Mike Clemons-Lake Butler, Fla..
    97 Gambler Intimidater / 200 EFI Merc

2. Member
    module should have been deleted at time of oil pump removal , would chech all components of cooling system starting at pump and all 3 gaskets , all psi sounds lil high to me , inspect poppet for sticking must be butter smooth
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Listen to Joe, that psi is high. I would also check thermostats, sometimes people remove them trying to fix a problem are they could be stuck closed. But since this motor is new to you and sat for 8 months, I would consider replacing the pump, even though it seems to be high pressure. On a fresh rebuild it’s also possible a gasket has failed and exhaust gas is entering the water jacket.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Member
    make sure your gages are accurate
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Read original post

Replaced water pump
    Water pressure gauge is not accurate
    Motor pees ...stronger as accelerating
    Still in breakin, so I run 3-3500k rpm
    At this rpm I can run 30 min+ before alarm
    If I take it up to 4 k around 10 mins before alarm
    My observation:
    Motor does not appear to be overheating.. No steam,no crackling and as soon as I shut motor off and immediately crank back up..no alarm
    At 3-3.5k I don't seem to get alarm. At 30 min run time
    As soon as I push up to 3.5-4k around 10 min.
    Thermos seem to be operating properly but I can replace those.
    ? How do you check a poppet for proper function
    What to check next?
    Mike Clemons-Lake Butler, Fla..
    97 Gambler Intimidater / 200 EFI Merc

6. Member
    i would remove poppet and verify all components are there and installed correctly and butter smooth ,may want to do leak down test to check head gaskets also , make sure all warning module wires disconnected , oem thermostsats , hose from poppet to top of block not restricted