Thread: Dollar General

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    They are strategically positioned structures. They represent a footprint. That’s the long term value.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Sweet Clover Valley

3. Member
    Our small town of 25,000 people has four dollar generals plus some other dollar stores —they are gold mines I have read
    Last edited by mactlman; 03-23-2023 at 01:46 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    What town? Seems like there would have to be a whole bunch more in the entire county, to support that much retail grocery.
    Vidor Tx I get what you're saying but that just isn't the case. Each town in our surrounding area has at least one grocery store and more than one dollar general. That is why I don't understand why having three dollar generals on one road makes any kind of sense.

I need to quit building new stores and just unpack the ones they have.

6. Member
    League City, TX/Lake Sam Rayburn (Rayburn Country)
    The good thing about Dollar General, ya don’t have to dress up. Now Walmart, different story. Ya need to dress up to go to Walmart!

7. Member
    Also the distance they are from each other makes zero sense to me. I could understand if you had one each on each side of town but I'm talking 3 within 10 -15 miles of each other on the same highway. I'm sure that it makes sense to the powers that be at DG I'm just having trouble wrapping my small brain around it I guess.

8. Banned
    Worked for a small local hardware store and a Home Depot was built in the same parking lot. Their sales for the small store increase drastically. It drove more customers to the area!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I think [this is just a theory] that Dollar Generals tend to spring up where traditional grocery stores have disappeared. Around here, I see a Dollar General in almost every little town. We’re talking towns of no more than 1k population, but towns like that seldom have a grocery store any more, or a hardware store, or even a place to buy sun screen and flip flops. So it’s a godsend to people who otherwise would have to drive 10-20 miles to a decent sized city in order to purchase those items on a moment’s notice. We live a mile down the road from the major shopping area in our city of 40k, with a plethora of grocery stores, big box stores, and every other kind of retailer nearby. We have one Dollar General, and if it disappeared tomorrow it wouldn’t be missed. Very different situation in those little burgs.
    Another little Dollar General tidbit is that if the store is actually far enough from a grocery store, DG puts in a small produce section. Google "Food Desert"...they are everywhere, particularly in urban centers and way out in the country.

10. Member
    Like gas stations one on every corner. There’ll be busy.

11. Member
    Usually dirty, cluttered, unorganized, poorly staffed, & lastly more expensive than wal mart, just not for me but to each their own.

12. Member
    I have one on my way home from work at a corner I have to turn- I stop in about every third trip home for some thing or other. Easy in and out for small stuff-I know exactly what is there and where it is.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    You saw what happened with Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, not long ago there was one on every corner it seemed. Now there seems to be more closed ones than open. DG will probably go the same route when they have too many stores, lots of empty buildings that can't be rented out.
    Could be worse: ANTHONY JESELNIK Live Around 15 Child Molesters 😂 #shorts - YouTube

14. Member
    We have a DG in front of our neighborhood. The parking lot is loaded with Range Rover's, Mercedes, Escalades and other fancy cars.
    ________
    $8

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    You saw what happened with Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, not long ago there was one on every corner it seemed. Now there seems to be more closed ones than open. DG will probably go the same route when they have too many stores, lots of empty buildings that can't be rented out.
    Kinda like the Walmart "Brownfield" footprint. A lot of towns have several former walmart stores in various stages of deterioration.

16. Member
    I go into a DG here and there on occasion. It is always the same mess and unpleasant shopping experience no matter what community.

I had to deal with DG's attorneys in metro Nashville a little while back due to a boundary dispute with one of its lessors, they were nice and professional and much better organizes that their stores are.

I am surprised that the Walmartians in Bentonville have not perfected a scaled down store concept similar to DG, Fred's and others with its pre-existing distribution network.

Some communities are banning or limiting them.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/co...nwide-invasion

17. Member
    I have heard that their goal is to build Dollar generals in every location possible, until they can cut into Walmart's market share, if they become enough of a PIA to Walmart, they are hoping they will buy them out. Just what I have heard, not gospel or nothing.
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

18. Member
    The distribution center is a few miles.from my house and that place is huge.
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WWDIII View Post
    The good thing about Dollar General, ya don’t have to dress up. Now Walmart, different story. Ya need to dress up to go to Walmart!
    TRUTH !!!!!

20. Member
    Draw a circle with a half-mile radius around a Dollar General store and anything outside that radius is fair game, as best as I can tell.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast