Fortrex gas cylinder spring (Piston)

I am looking for the best way to remove the existing 80# thrust spring/piston and replace with the 112# spring/piston for added lift and deploy functions.
    1. Does the motor and shaft have to be removed from the unit to do this?
    2. What is the best approach to use when removing the cylinder spring/piston
    3. Obviously, don't want to do anything stupid or get hurt. A cribb sheet would be helpful for those that have done this modification.
    I looked on U Tube, but couldn't find anything.
    Thank you for any and all input.

2. Member

1. No

2. With the trolling motor stowed:

The two screws that attach the gas spring cylinder to the mount arm have loctite on the threads. Heat the heads of the screws so it softens the loctite. I used a hair dryer.
    Use two #3 Phillips screw drivers to remove at least one of them, then the pin will come out.
    I used two changeable bit screw drivers in 1/4 sockets and ratches to remove a screw==better leverage.

On the other end is a single pin that attaches the gas spring rod to the yoke. It has a knurled end and smooth end, drive it out with a punch, etc from the smooth end. To get to it, remove the mount side plates and rotate the yoke so you have access to the pin.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Thank you Wayne. Just waiting for the new piston to arrive.

5. Member
    Wayne id 100% correct. As an added infor. Use a hair drier or a paintremover heat gun to loosen up the loctite on the #3 screws to make it easirer to remove. should be easy peasy.

6. Member
    Yes Sir, completed the install yesterday.....thanks for all the help. Cribb sheet was " spot on"!