Ethernet Switch Stopped Working after Mega Live Install

Edit: Ethernet switch and network stopped working after I installed Mega Live. Network did come up momentarily and showed Mega Live after install but won’t anymore. If I disconnect Mega Live from the Ethernet switch the network and all its devices come back. I’m using 3 of 5 ports (2 x Solix, 1 Ultrex) without Mega Live and 4 of 5 with Mega Live.

Any ideas? I’ll call HB tech support tomorrow unless some brilliant forum member knows what’s up….

Original post:
    Is there any way to determine if a Humminbird Ethernet switch has gone bad? Ive searched the forums and didn’t find much…

I’ve verified my power is good at the end of the power cable and the connection is tight and clean. I’ve also verified the Ethernet cables are clean, tight and secure but none of the devices are showing on either Solix G2 unit, they only list themselves under the network tab and nothing else is listed, not even the Ethernet switch.

My network had been working fine for the three years I’ve had the boat but after installing Mega Live this week I was having trouble getting the network working and Mega Live to be recognized, or anything else to show up on the network. Just for a moment the network came up, Mega Live got recognized and all other accessories (Ultrex, Ethernet switch and both Solix) were showing under the Solix network tab but won’t show again after cycling the power. I’ve power cycled the system several times and rechecked connections and there’s still no network. Seems like a strange coincidence this happened right after I installed Mega Live.

I’m hoping there’s a way to determine if the switch has gone bad, other than spending $300 on a new one.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!
    Last edited by Tilzbow; 03-22-2023 at 09:35 PM.

One of my network switches went out on me this summer. It lasted 7 years. I sent it to HB for repair (80 bucks) and they sent me a new one back. Took a week.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

3. Member
    Did you check the fuse you have on the power to your switch? If it is blown leave the mega live unplugged from the network and see if the other stuff works. Then try the Mega live again.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

4. Member
    I got it working, sometimes….

Last night, I checked the fuse and it had power on both sides so it seems it was okay but I changed it anyway since they’re cheap and the one time I got it all to work momentarily, after installing Mega Live, was after I pulled and reinstalled the fuse. So, after changing the fuse the Ethernet switch and network was still not working with Mega Live connected so I powered everything down, disconnected Mega Live from the Ethernet switch, turned it all back on and the network came up with Mega Live disconnected. While everything was powered up, I said, “Screw it”, reconnected Mega Live to the live Ethernet switch and within a few seconds it also showed up on the network. Last night I power cycled all electronics and everything worked. This morning, I did the same and all connected devices came up on the network and everything was working. Edit: I power cycled everything twice more after posting this and it worked once and didn’t work the other time.

Looking at the power to the Ethernet switch, it appears Ranger did a marginal job on this at the factory with a small power distribution board (not a block, a printed circuit board with + and - connector tabs) and small gauge wire feeding that and smaller gauge wire from the distribution board to the bow Solix, the Ethernet switch a heading sensor and maybe a couple of other devices. Could this factory wiring job be causing these intermittent issues? I’m considering connecting the Solix and Ethernet directly to a fuse block I just installed at the helm with proper wire.
    Last edited by Tilzbow; 03-23-2023 at 12:49 PM.

5. Member
    Is your power wire for the ethernet switch connected to the power board by solderless terminals crimped onto the power wire ? Have seen terminals too big for that small of wire cause intermittent connection issues that come & go after time.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishshooter View Post
    Is your power wire for the ethernet switch connected to the power board by solderless terminals crimped onto the power wire ? Have seen terminals too big for that small of wire cause intermittent connection issues that come & go after time.
    Yes, they’re crimp on 1/4 female spade connectors that slide over the 1/4” tabs on the little distribution board. They seem pretty secure and tight but maybe your on to something and the little extra load is exposing an issue with the crimp on connectors…

Upon further inspection the board is powered by 8 gauge + and - battery cable that I believe is run from the main power switch at the back of the boat but that 8 gauge is reduced to 12 gauge, via a integrated splitter, a foot before the board and that board then feeds the bow Solix, the Ethernet switch, Mega 360 and a heading sensor plus the accessory switch on the bow but that switch probably doesn’t draw much since it’s just some blue LEDs that light up when something is turned on. It seems like way too much for the little board and 12 gauge to handle but my electrical knowledge is just past beginner at best.

The Ethernet switch has never given me problems before the Mega Live was installed so it seems like that extra demand might be the straw that broke the proverbial camels back…..

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilzbow View Post
    Yes, they’re crimp on 1/4 female spade connectors that slide over the 1/4” tabs on the little distribution board. They seem pretty secure and tight but maybe your on to something and the little extra load is exposing an issue with the crimp on connectors…

Upon further inspection the board is powered by 8 gauge + and - battery cable that I believe is run from the main power switch at the back of the boat but that 8 gauge is reduced to 12 gauge, via a integrated splitter, a foot before the board and that board then feeds the bow Solix, the Ethernet switch, Mega 360 and a heading sensor plus the accessory switch on the bow but that switch probably doesn’t draw much since it’s just some blue LEDs that light up when something is turned on. It seems like way too much for the little board and 12 gauge to handle but my electrical knowledge is just past beginner at best.

The Ethernet switch has never given me problems before the Mega Live was installed so it seems like that extra demand might be the straw that broke the proverbial camels back…..
    Just so we're clear, I am talking about where the ethernet power wires are crimped to the connectors as well as how tight the "tabs" fit. I am suspecting the crimp connections more than the tab connections.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishshooter View Post
    Just so we're clear, I am talking about where the ethernet power wires are crimped to the connectors as well as how tight the "tabs" fit. I am suspecting the crimp connections more than the tab connections.
    I did understand what you meant and the crimps were tight, as far as I could tell. I do appreciate the input since that definitely could’ve been a contributing factor.

That said I cut them all off and rewired the Solix and Ethernet switch to the new fuse block I installed during the Mega Live install. I just don’t like that much load on the little distribution board Ranger put in at the factory. I’m now getting .6 volts more power to the Solix and other accessories. I’ve power cycled the system 6 times and the network has come online each time without fail.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilzbow View Post
    I did understand what you meant and the crimps were tight, as far as I could tell. I do appreciate the input since that definitely could’ve been a contributing factor.

That said I cut them all off and rewired the Solix and Ethernet switch to the new fuse block I installed during the Mega Live install. I just don’t like that much load on the little distribution board Ranger put in at the factory. I’m now getting .6 volts more power to the Solix and other accessories. I’ve power cycled the system 6 times and the network has come online each time without fail.
    I don't like those little boards either. Your adding a fuse block probably the real cure.