Message on HDS 12 Live Screen

Evening, fella’s - I just mounted my new hds 12 live tonite, and when i powered it up, I got this message on my screen. Can anyone “dumb it down” for me and tell me what this means?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 Z9
    2023 250 Mercury Pro XS
    Minn Kota 112 lb Ultrex
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live console
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live bow (with Active Target)
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 bow

2. Member
    Your carbon only accepts one sonar source, your lives accept two. Depends what you want each unit to be able to see as to which option you want to choose.

3. Member
    Acuallu software issue. Live has.37, waiting on software update
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyKiller View Post
    Your carbon only accepts one sonar source, your lives accept two. Depends what you want each unit to be able to see as to which option you want to choose.
    Wrong, Carbon's accept many sonar sources (can hook up 2 transducers direct to the unit), and can read any other network sonar soruce.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe.Parisien View Post
    Evening, fella’s - I just mounted my new hds 12 live tonite, and when i powered it up, I got this message on my screen. Can anyone “dumb it down” for me and tell me what this means?
    What all is on your network, we need that info to help you.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyKiller View Post
    Wrong! If there is a Gen 2 or Gen 3 on the network they will dumb down a Live to the level of the two older generations.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Esox Z518C View Post
    Wrong! If there is a Gen 2 or Gen 3 on the network they will dumb down a Live to the level of the two older generations.
    A Gen 3 with the latest update will play with the Lives.

8. Member
    The new units won't play with the old units without the newer units loosing their updated features. You're better off NOT running any older units on the network with the newer units. That's as simple as I can make it.
    Last edited by SteveS; 03-27-2023 at 06:59 PM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    The new units won't play with the old units without the newer units loosing their updated features. You're better off NOT running any older units on the network with the newer units. That's as simple as I can make it.
    Truth, but he doesn't say he has a legacy unit on his network. His sig shows 2 Lives and a Carbon.

10. Member
    Excuse all my “wrong” fellas ��. My terminology may have been off, I was talking about multiple channels available on the Live where as not available on the Carbon. Hence the asking if he wants to use the multi sonar source (2 channels of sonar) vs the single sonar source (1 channel of sonar). I ran a similar setup with carbons being the oldest units and got this message or one similar to it talking about sources. Performed all updates on everything on the network and it didn’t come back.

11. Member
    A Carbon is Multisource capable. Not sure where you are getting this info. You can run an AI on Channel 2 and show 2D and you can run a dedicated 2D on Channel 1. That is what is meant by 2 sonar choices and the Carbon is fully capable as long as it has been fully updated. You got the message because there was an update to allow Multisource on a Carbon. The OP probably just needs all units updated, hard reset, and restarted. As long as there are no Legacy devices on the network he failed to mention.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

12. Member
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I should have clarified my setup a little more. The 9 Live with Active Target is a standalone system on the bow (no issues). The 12 Live on the console is only connected to the 9 Carbon with a ethernet cable - no nmea system at this time. All units are less than a year all and are up to date. I did a system reset on the units and started from scratch and the error did not appear again - I don't believe I did anything different this time from the original set up. I'll be monitoring my units for the next while to make sure everything is functioning well.

Thanks again.
    2013 Z9
    2023 250 Mercury Pro XS
    Minn Kota 112 lb Ultrex

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I should have clarified my setup a little more. The 9 Live with Active Target is a standalone system on the bow (no issues). The 12 Live on the console is only connected to the 9 Carbon with a ethernet cable - no nmea system at this time. All units are less than a year all and are up to date. I did a system reset on the units and started from scratch and the error did not appear again - I don't believe I did anything different this time from the original set up. I'll be monitoring my units for the next while to make sure everything is functioning well.

Thanks again.
    It is possible that if the Carbon was ever connected to a Legacy unit, it still had the data in its memory. Once you did a reset, it cleared it. Whatever happened, its resolved now. Enjoy

14. Member
    Hi, Bloodman - yes, it was previously hooked to a Gen 2 HDS 12 - that makes sense, since this was the first time setting up the new HDS 12 Live. Thanks
    2013 Z9
    2023 250 Mercury Pro XS
    Minn Kota 112 lb Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    I have Gen 2 12's and a new 9 Live and was told by Lowrance tech that the 9 would be okay on NMEA, but connecting the Ethernet would cause it to go into "legacy mode".

16. Member
    The Lowrance tech new what he was talking about.
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175