crooked engine mounting

i have a 22 518 with a 200.when sitting on the deck looking back at the engine,you can see the engine is slightly crooked.crazy thing is,on my boys 2019 521.its the same.so,question is..is it done on purpose to offset torque or something?

NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST!!!!!!

2. Member
    Get your tape out and measure to corners. Don’t think it is designed for a crooked engine

3. Member
    If you have a plate make sure both sides are the same

4. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    My 2000 is a hair off too, Looking from the rear it tilts a hair to the left. I have seen many boats like this too.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

5. Member
    my stratos was like that also bought new--was told it is to help offset prop torque??? never had any issues
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    Not supposed to be crooked. Had a Skeeter that was this way. Didn’t seem to hurt anything performance wise, but looked strange.

7. mikesxpress
    It's a 2022. Have the dealership check it.

8. Member
    How in the world would you fix crooked mounting holes other than filling and redrilling. Just wondering what the correct way to remedy this would be. If I had a crooked engine on a new boat I would be furious.

9. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    How in the world would you fix crooked mounting holes other than filling and redrilling. Just wondering what the correct way to remedy this would be. If I had a crooked engine on a new boat I would be furious.
    Life is too short to get excited about issues you may never face. Please relax. This is why the dealership network and warranty protection are so valuable.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

10. Member
    I had this before as well. The holes on the jackplate were drilled uneven and caused the motor to lean one way. Jackplate was replaced under warranty and fixed quickly. So check your jackplate as well when measuring.
    Collins Boating Pro Staff - Smithfield, North Carolina
    JeffreyDavisFishing.com
    | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram | NC Bass Challenge

11. Member
    I am just wondering how this would be fixed? Just curiosity. Like I said I had a boat with this issue. Never fixed it and sold it like that.

Had this issue with my 2011 521. Turns out the bushing in the tilt shaft was bad on one side. That was o n a SHO with the cheap nylon bushings Yamaha uses
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Depends, Seen it on a Slide Master. The plate was mounted correctly but the adjusting screw on the plate is pretty much in the center of the plates but doesn't always raise or lower the sliding part equally.

Check to see if the plate is mounted to the boat correctly. Then measure the top of the slide part of the plate to make sure both sides are the same.

If not it can be corrected. I loosed the side of the plate that was lower leaving the higher side tight. It was just about 1/8" to 1/4" lower on the one side then used the adjusting bolt to raise the lower side to equal the higher side. Retorque the side that was lower. I used a dial caliper to measure the slid plate.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

14. Member
    I had a 2015 Z119c that I purchased new. For the first few months I really struggled to control it at top end. It walked like a bastard. One day when cleaning it I noticed 3/4 of a mounting hole was visible on the Jackplate on the left side and only about 1/3 was visible on the right side.

I started investigating more and put a straight edge along the pad of the boat and lowered the lower unit down to see how off it was. The LU was 3-4” off the center of the pad. It was discovered that the JP holes were off when they were drilled. Ranger replaced the JP under warranty. Boat performed much better after the JP swap.