Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I give up; need help! Routing Dual Active Target transducers into Starboard Locker

Hey guys, after all these years and adding new wiring, I finally ran out of room in the starboard conduit from the bow to the console. After trying every trick in the book (and I know many) I simply met my match today. The small conduit is too full of cables to fit the transducers for the dual Active Target transducers.

The boat is a 2008 Z20.

I need to find an alternate route to get both transducer cables into the starboard rod locker where both AT boxes are now mounted and wired.

Has anyone yet done this?

Can I remove the rod tip plastic box at the bow end of my starboard rod locker and create a path through the foam up to under my bow panel? If so how do you recommend I get through the foam up to the bow? Can it be drilled with a wood drill bit (spade bit) up to the bow?

Help, please!!!

(and no, I am not mounting the AT boxes under the bow panel wrapped in bubble wrap)...
    Last edited by Marc Marcantonio; 03-22-2023 at 06:04 PM.
    ciao,
    Marc

I had a similar challenge, 06 VS 175. I routed my transducer cable along the base of the starboard locker, cut the tip off the lowest left rod tube, and ran the wiring through there. Also ran wiring for power through the same tube. My AT box is mounted in the foot well front wall. No issues after a year. Used plastic spiral wire wrap as a chafing around my power. I did not have to cut foam to access the rod tube tip.
    BTW, thank you for all the help you have given on other issues. Hope this helps.

3. Member
    Marc
    I have used the LINT EATER fiberglass rods (used for cleaning dryer vents) to create a tunnel from the bow area to the LED light assy through the foam along the right forward gunnel and into the rightside rod locker on a guys 521 Ranger a few years ago (2020) and then pulled the wires through. Getting ready to do it again on an install for a bud on a new to him ranger in a couple weeks. Something to consider

4. Member
    Marc, when I installed mine on my 20' Z519 i took the bow plate off the hold the front graphs, got in the starboard side locker as far as I could and drilled a 34" hole with a step bit at the top near where the bow plate is. After that you can easily slide your cables thru to get to your black box. I imagine the same would work for you. It's a bit tough getting in the locker with your drill and stretching all the way to the front. And thank you for taking the time doing your youTube videos
    Last edited by wire101; 03-24-2023 at 05:58 PM.

5. Member
    Did you try to remove the plastic shroud at the bow end of the starboard rod locker? I see screws around the perimeter of the rear flange of the shroud but have not yet tried to remove the screws and shroud. Wondering if it is also cemented in or foamed in and difficult to remove before I try. I have too short of arms to reach up in there to drill.

Thank you all for your help!
    ciao,
    Marc

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalliefan2 View Post
    I had a similar challenge, 06 VS 175. I routed my transducer cable along the base of the starboard locker, cut the tip off the lowest left rod tube, and ran the wiring through there. Also ran wiring for power through the same tube. My AT box is mounted in the foot well front wall. No issues after a year. Used plastic spiral wire wrap as a chafing around my power. I did not have to cut foam to access the rod tube tip.
    BTW, thank you for all the help you have given on other issues. Hope this helps.
    I only have rod tubes in my port locker; this would make it easy. Thanks for responding and you are welcome for any help I have given over the years!
    ciao,
    Marc

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rakkc View Post
    Marc
    I have used the LINT EATER fiberglass rods (used for cleaning dryer vents) to create a tunnel from the bow area to the LED light assy through the foam along the right forward gunnel and into the rightside rod locker on a guys 521 Ranger a few years ago (2020) and then pulled the wires through. Getting ready to do it again on an install for a bud on a new to him ranger in a couple weeks. Something to consider
    I have an old CB Radio fiberglass whip antenna that would probably work like your LINT EATER rod...so you penetrated the foam starting at the bow panel and pushed down and through the foam and were able to get it into the rod locker?

My starboard rod locker has a hard plastic shroud inserted into the rod locker at the bow end of the locker. I assume it is there to protect rod tips (no rod tubes or rod organizer in this starboard locker). The shroud has a flange around its perimeter with screws holding the shroud in place in the rod locker.

I am hoping someone with a Z20 or Z21 has the same plastic shroud and has attempted to remove this shroud and can tell me if I am getting into trouble trying to remove it?

I appreciate your help!
    ciao,
    Marc

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wire101 View Post
    Marc, when I installed mine on my 20' Z519 i took the bow plate off the hold the front graphs, got in the starboard side locker as far as I could and drilled a 34" hole with a step bit at the top near where the bow plate is. After that you can easily slide your cables thru to get to your black box. I imagine the same would work for you. It's a bit tough getting in the locker with your drill and stretching all the way to the front. And thank you for taking the time doing your youTube videos
    That is good to know and encouraging. Being vertically challenged my arms won't reach up into the plastic shroud far enough to drill it...did you first attempt to unscrew the shroud to remove it? If that works it would be easy then for me to drill it from its backside after it is removed from the boat. That sounds like I would then be able to find a way through the foam at the bow to the bow opening. Glad you are watching my YouTube channel...I will keep making videos; hopefully one soon about what I am going through trying to rig 2 Active Target 2 units and route the transducer cables. The Ranger Z20 2" conduit in the starboard gunnel is just too filled with other wires and ethernet cables to fit two more transducer cables through it.
    ciao,
    Marc

9. Member
    Marc
    The more I think about it , I think I removed the right side LED NAV light , and used the fiber glass rod to auger/push a channel into the bow area, once you get it started it pushed through the foam pretty easy. And then did the same thing going aft from the LED light into the right side rod locker. basically treat the opening underneath that LED light as the midway point. I am a Phoenix owner and rigged out a few of those, stratos, champs and tritons for buds, Rangers needed the most "lets think this through" planning but once I got that LED light deal figured out it was smooth sailing and fast.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rakkc View Post
    Marc
    The more I think about it , I think I removed the right side LED NAV light , and used the fiber glass rod to auger/push a channel into the bow area, once you get it started it pushed through the foam pretty easy. And then did the same thing going aft from the LED light into the right side rod locker. basically treat the opening underneath that LED light as the midway point. I am a Phoenix owner and rigged out a few of those, stratos, champs and tritons for buds, Rangers needed the most "lets think this through" planning but once I got that LED light deal figured out it was smooth sailing and fast.
    Unfortunately my 2008 predates LED lights, so I don't have the same setup (I have the old style bulb light at the tip of the bow plate). Nothing but foam under my bow plate opening in front of the rod locker. Have you ever tried to remove the hard plastic shroud in the bow end of the starboard rod locker?
    ciao,
    Marc

We drill a hole in the end of the plastic tub in that locker. You may or may not be able to see it from under the front panel. Might have to dig out some foam
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    We drill a hole in the end of the plastic tub in that locker. You may or may not be able to see it from under the front panel. Might have to dig out some foam
    Do you remove the plastic tub first and then drill it? Or do you drill it in place? And do you drill the top or bottom of the tub?
    ciao,
    Marc

It’s foamed in. It won’t come out. 457705D8-A639-4C9C-B412-4FA4E6D75EE0.jpeg

14. Member
    When you take the bow plate off there is some foam that you have to remove but no that much to get to the very upper front of the starboard locker, If you had a longer drill bit you may be able to drill the hole from the opening where the bow plate was, I ran the power, transducer and ethernet thru that hole right to the black box mounted to the side of the compartment

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wire101 View Post
    When you take the bow plate off there is some foam that you have to remove but no that much to get to the very upper front of the starboard locker, If you had a longer drill bit you may be able to drill the hole from the opening where the bow plate was, I ran the power, transducer and ethernet thru that hole right to the black box mounted to the side of the compartment
    Thank you for posting this. I think I will try to remove the foam by going in through the bow panel until I find the black plastic shroud from the starboard rod locker. Then I can figure out how to get a drill bit in through the bow and drill a hole for the two transducer cables and one ethernet cable. Hopefully I don't have to dig out a lot of foam to reach the shroud.
    ciao,
    Marc

16. Member
    It’s foamed in. It won’t come out. 457705D8-A639-4C9C-B412-4FA4E6D75EE0.jpeg
    I couldn't figure out what I was looking at in your picture, but once I removed the foam under the bow panel I recognized your photo.

Do you recommend drilling down through the top of the box or at the top corner of the bow side of the box?
    ciao,
    Marc

The two I did are kind of pointed straight forward. We used a dremel tool

18. Member

Got it Done; Thanks to all who helped.

The two I did are kind of pointed straight forward. We used a Dremel tool
    I was able to dig away at the foam and found the top inside corner of the plastic shroud. Then I simply drilled through the top with a 1-1/8" drill bit which allowed me to pass two AT2 cables through the hole, and one ethernet cable. It worked great and sure beats running the cables anywhere else.

I did video this process for an upcoming YouTube video on installing dual Active Target units and cables.

Thanks for all the help; this is what makes BBC so great!
    ciao,
    Marc

19. Ryan_8
    I just installed livescope on my dad's z20. I cut the rod tube and ran the cable into the port rod locker. On my boat I cut the foam out under the gunwale on the starboard locker. I cut a slit in the conduit and pulled the existing wires from the bow back into the locker. I then ran the large transducer cable then feed the smaller wires back to the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    I was able to dig away at the foam and found the top inside corner of the plastic shroud. Then I simply drilled through the top with a 1-1/8" drill bit which allowed me to pass two AT2 cables through the hole, and one ethernet cable. It worked great and sure beats running the cables anywhere else.

I did video this process for an upcoming YouTube video on installing dual Active Target units and cables.

Thanks for all the help; this is what makes BBC so great!
    Glad it worked . Just sent the vid to another guy asking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast