Trolling Batteries High Wind

Trolling motor batteries died in heavy wind (I did run spot lock a couple of times in the steady 17mph wind). Never had a problem before and haven't since in normal weather. Can you run batteries dead just from high wind?

Lowrance ghost on 24v setting
    2 ac delco 29 group size batteries

Never had a problem before that day and each battery reads 13 volts after charging. Any thoughts?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Wind puts a huge load on the batteries if you try to hold position.

How old are the batteries?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Wind puts a huge load on the batteries if you try to hold position.

How old are the batteries?
    if more than 4 or 5 years replace the batteries
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

4. Member
    [QUOTE=HookedAgain!;12936407]Trolling motor batteries died in heavy wind (I did run spot lock a couple of times in the steady 17mph wind). Never had a problem before and haven't since in normal weather. Can you run batteries dead just from high wind?

Constant high wind, or constant fast currents are death on TM batteries.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by HookedAgain! View Post
    Trolling motor batteries died in heavy wind (I did run spot lock a couple of times in the steady 17mph wind). Never had a problem before and haven't since in normal weather. Can you run batteries dead just from high wind?

Lowrance ghost on 24v setting
    2 ac delco 29 group size batteries

Never had a problem before that day and each battery reads 13 volts after charging. Any thoughts?
    Running a 24v troller on 2 group 29 batt. is not a great combo to begin with. Very little capacity before motor performance starts to drop off. Yes, high wind with this setup would be a quick killer!

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

^^^what he said^^

7. Member
    Batteries are 2.5 years old so it sounds like after this season it might be time to transfer to lithium and bump up to 36v. Thanks for the input

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JACQUART21 View Post
    Running a 24v troller on 2 group 29 batt. is not a great combo to begin with. Very little capacity before motor performance starts to drop off. Yes, high wind with this setup would be a quick killer!
    That’s as big as it gets in a lead-acid. People have been using those batteries successfully for a lot of years.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    A group 29 is pretty much the same size and capacity as a group 31. They make great trolling motor batteries.

Check the water level in them. Might be low and needs to be topped off.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    That’s as big as it gets in a lead-acid. People have been using those batteries successfully for a lot of years.
    I guess there is a number of variables that the OP didn't elaborate on. My comment was based off my own experience with a 20 ft Nitro and a 24v setup with napa premium 31 series batt. Brand new batteries couldn't make an 8 hr day fishing in heavy winds. Obviously, all that depends on batteries, boat size wind, etc!

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    I guess there is a number of variables that the OP didn't elaborate on. My comment was based off my own experience with a 20 ft Nitro and a 24v setup with napa premium 31 series batt. Brand new batteries couldn't make an 8 hr day fishing in heavy winds. Obviously, all that depends on batteries, boat size wind, etc!
    Too small of a trolling motor was your issue, a 20 ft boat needs a 36v trolling motor.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Too small of a trolling motor was your issue, a 20 ft boat needs a 36v trolling motor.
    That's well understood now, but in the early 2000's that was a common setup!

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

14. Member
    Honestly with the ability of lithium batteries to allow for 100% capacity discharge you could get away with a 24v system in the wind. Had the OP had lithium over wet batteries of the same AH he would have almost doubled his fishing time.

36v Ultrex w/ 3 Walmart Everstart Maxx maintenance free Batts. Fish easily 10 hours in 15-20mph wind. I had issues with AGM Batts on my 24v Fortrex and upgraded to the 36v Ultrex and never looked back!
    Scott Inman