2020 Bullet 21XRS Top Speed, Tourney Load... 75 mph... Good or Bad???

I have a 2020 21XRS, 250 ProXs 4 Stroke, 27 Bravo, 8' Power Poles, 2 12 inch graphs at console, 2 12 inch graphs on bow. I have the Garmin troller with 360 and am running 3 50 ah Ionic Lithium batteries and the front deck is padded....

Top speed ever running this boat is 76 and on average I am running 75 mph at 6000 rpms.

When I bought the boat a friend running the same model with a Yamaha said "Welcome to the 80 mph club" yet my experience has been a little different.

Love the boat, planning to run this one and or other models for many years to come.

Looking for others top speeds? Suggestions?

Appreciate ya all!

There are factors that will affect that. Sounds like that prop is doing all it can and you may have to go up a pitch. What’s current pitch now? Running a torque master? What’s the prop to pad distance?

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

3. Member
    Hydraulic jackplate or manual plate? Height, water pressure at wot? 28 bravo is the go to prop for you.

4. Member
    If your loaded fairly heavy that’s about right. I have same combo and about 76 is all it will do with full load. I have never tried to see what it will run empty. I run a 28 bravo but would be better off with a 27 I believe my rpm’s are only about 5900 wot.
    Bullet 21XRS 250 pro xs serial#2B775575

5. Member
    Just for comparison, mine is also a 2020 model. I'm running a 28p Bravo I XS and I'm running the manual plate at the factory setting (though I've ran it one click up and down from this point during this time) and I'm at .595" below. Yes I am carrying 3 decimal places on my measurement. I'm an ME and I'm OCD on certain things.
    Yesterday - hit 80 mph at 6K rpms in perfect conditions with a light chop. 12% slip according to the Merc calculator which is good.
    I'm solo and arguably "light", but that's all she's got and I'm happy with it.
    Ghost and 16 Live at bow. No poles, 3 AGM batts. A little a over half tank of gas and empty livewells.
    Water pressure 14+ psi and I have the top hole on each side plugged because I was getting some air in there.

Plan for this July/August is a 14" Bobs and possibly a lithium cranker.

I think your numbers are good. I would say in your case with the lithium, the poles are helping with keeping some weight in the rear (and balanced).

In my case I don't mind shedding the weight of the agm cranker, but I'll add a Bobs when I do to get more weight back there and centered up.
    Last edited by djb750; 03-22-2023 at 03:15 PM.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

6. Member
    To me it sounds like you are carrying a little extra weight. This is probably a couple mph right off the bat. Plus the drag of the poles and the electronics may add a little too.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

7. Member
    Load makes a big difference especially if you are putting a bunch of stuff in the front boxes. I try to keep anything that is heavy in the back boxes. Still end up with too much stuff up front. I think my all my rod and reel combos were 60+ lbs. I weighed everything once when I unloaded the boat to take in for service and I was carrying 160lbs of stuff and that was a "light" load for me.

8. Member
    I have a 2014 xrs, sho 250 on manual plate. 2 8ft poles, same graph set up, lithiums. I run a razor 4 28p prop and im about 78 to 79 max with my stuf, just me, and 3/4 tank gas. Fastest ive ever ran it was 84, that was not much load, low fuel, and a 3 blade 28 txp prop ( not a very good fishing prop though, hole shot terrible).

I suggest the Mark Croxton prop. Everyone tells me the mercs are faster but i see better numbers than most xrs with mercs. Seat time and driving in the right conditions matters also. Ill also say weight distribution is a big key on these boats. I think you can get it up a few mph with a razor prop

9. Member
    I Have the same rig you have without the 360. 16” set back and hydraulic plate. Worked 28 bravo. 75-80 with 2 160# guys. There was a learning curve for driving it. I have a spot at 77-78 that I have to get a run through. Jackplate, trim, boat balance and water has to be right or it stops speeding up. By myself mine is 78-82. After I added 6 inches of set back to mine it ran much better and was easier to get hooked up.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLET FAN View Post
    To me it sounds like you are carrying a little extra weight. This is probably a couple mph right off the bat. Plus the drag of the poles and the electronics may add a little too.
    Believe it or not the graph setup on the bow actually helps some, it’s been tried and proven but it was on boats with a 300. The front graphs help with a little lift of the nose and can get a few more mph. With the graphs removed there was a 2-3 mph loss. That came from Tim Powell when he was prop testing Patterson XRS and with mine as well just a few months ago. They’re not graphs, it’s a spoiler for fast boats, lol. He told me I needed to add 2 inches spacers on mine and it would pick up another 3-4mph.

11. Member
    Good to know. Thanks for sharing.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

12. Member
    I really appreciate yalls input. Im sorry for the delayed response, wife had some emergency health issues and ive been in hospital with her. I will be looking at recommendations and info shortly. Hydraulic atlas plate on the boat, turning a 27 bravo at around 6000.

Appreciate it yall

13. Member
    I really appreciate yalls input. Im sorry for the delayed response, wife had some emergency health issues and ive been in hospital with her. I will be looking at recommendations and info shortly. Hydraulic atlas plate on the boat, turning a 27 bravo at around 6000.

Appreciate it yall

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    Just for comparison, mine is also a 2020 model. I'm running a 28p Bravo I XS and I'm running the manual plate at the factory setting (though I've ran it one click up and down from this point during this time) and I'm at .595" below. Yes I am carrying 3 decimal places on my measurement. I'm an ME and I'm OCD on certain things.
    Yesterday - hit 80 mph at 6K rpms in perfect conditions with a light chop. 12% slip according to the Merc calculator which is good.
    I'm solo and arguably "light", but that's all she's got and I'm happy with it.
    Ghost and 16 Live at bow. No poles, 3 AGM batts. A little a over half tank of gas and empty livewells.
    Water pressure 14+ psi and I have the top hole on each side plugged because I was getting some air in there.

Plan for this July/August is a 14" Bobs and possibly a lithium cranker.

I think your numbers are good. I would say in your case with the lithium, the poles are helping with keeping some weight in the rear (and balanced).

In my case I don't mind shedding the weight of the agm cranker, but I'll add a Bobs when I do to get more weight back there and centered up.
    Do yourself a favor and go with 16" of setback while you are going through all of the pain of swapping plates.
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO