Praying Seastar steering problems

My issue is that while running down the river my boat would start to slowly veer off to the left, but when I would try to correct it, the steering wheel would just spin and eventually it would catch and straighten up. The seals were leaking so I figured that was the problem. So last year I replaced the seal and bled the system. But the issue was the same. The only funny thing is it really does not do it when its hot during the summer, only when its cold outside. But anyways the other day, I tried to bleed the system again and ran it. still the same, but the steering really feels good but if I turn the wheel fairly quick from lock to lock it does fine, but if I turn the wheel really slow it stops with the motor dead center and the wheel turns some what freely. If I jerk the wheel quickly it will start back turning. Kind Of lost, just hoping someone has had the same issue.

1999 Skeeter zx202 w/2007 225 Optimax

2. Member
    I don't think there's much that can go wrong with the system. Sounds like either the system is not bled correctly or possibly the pump failing. If your sure the system is bled and the seals are good then I would be looking for a replacement pump.....

3. Member
    Sounds like helm is shot, it is bypassing, new helm quick
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

4. Banned
    Sounds like the check valves in the helm. Check this out.

https://www.classicparker.com/thread...m-tidbit.5850/

I have this exact same issue. Bringing it in this spring. Really is a safety issue. I will not run the rig until it’s corrected.
    Paul Gifto
    2013 Nitro Z9 2021 250hp Mercury ProXS
    Ontario Canada 🇨🇦

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old4runner View Post
    Sounds like the check valves in the helm. Check this out.

https://www.classicparker.com/thread...m-tidbit.5850/
    This could be happening. I've never disassembled a helm, but if I had issues like that I would try to increase the spring pressure on what appear to be pressure relief valves.