Software Advice Mega Live

Yeah, I know it’s another should I upgrade question….. That said I just wrapped up the Mega Live hardware install and I’m getting ready to power up, finish the set it up and test in my garage. I’ve got a Solix G2 12” on the bow and a Solix G2 15” at the helm, Ultrex with MDI, Mega 360 and now Mega Live.

Both Solix units are on software version 4.020 from September 2021 and the Mega Live software version I’ve got on my card I use to update my heads is 1.130. I believe that is the original Mega Live software version, I’ve also read the original had a lot of issues and many were later fixed with update 1.170 and I listed those below (which I found on BBC).

Since I don’t have the option of updating my heads from 4.020 to 4.070 and Mega Live from 1.130 to 1.170 my options are to I stick with the original software, that apparently had a lot of Mega Live issues, or update to 4.130 and 1.200 which has the Mega Live interference issue and miss out on the improvements to Mega Live listed below.

Lastly, although I have Mega 360 installed I won’t be using it much until June since it’s not really useful on the lake I’m fishing until then so I’ll mostly be using 2D and Mega Live.

Would you update, deal with the interference issues, or run the 18 month old version and miss out on the upgrades listed below?

Edit: I just got it all powered on. Mega Live is connected and showing on my network. Per the Network information on my control head, Mega Live unit I just installed has software version 1.150 so it’s not the original version but not the last two updates either (the Solix control head is version 4.020). Update all or leave as is?

Software Update - APEX Series v. 4.070
    Released July 6, 2022
    Software Description
    MEGA Live New Features:

• Improvements to the MEGA Live return. Prior recommended settings are no longer needed. The defaults are the now recommended start point for use.
    • Auto Sensitivity and Contrast – Automatically controls sensitivity and contrast while giving the user offset options.
    • New Dynamic Contrast Options – Balanced (Default), Low, and High - These values provide options for users to optimize the return to their liking based on conditions and fishing styles.
    • Added smooth range changes to SOLIX G3 and APEX.
    • Added a new color palette based on customer feedback.
    • Added 60 degree Forward mode as an automatically detectable option (vs. manual only)
    • Added negative Contrast options.

SONAR MEGA LIVE

• Moved the sonar return downward on the screen so that the jig splash could be more easily seen.
    • Changed the default color palette to Option 3.
    • Improved the display quality of MEGA Live data.
    • Fixed several issues with MEGA Live ranging issues during initial connection.
    • Fixed several issues with Landscape Mode (note that Landscape mode still rotates backwards unless Pitch and Roll mode is turned off and the system is manually set to Reverse).
    • Fixed an issue where changing Port/Starboard mode was not flipping the return in Down Mode.
    • Fixed an issue causing MEGA Live to stop pinging if the Ethernet network is powered after the SOLIX and APEX units are already booted.

Last edited by Tilzbow; 03-22-2023 at 11:52 AM.

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I think, if you call Humminbird, they will supply you the Solix 4.070 and Mega Live 1.170 updates. That would be my recommendation, since that combination seemed to be pretty solid. Update all of your Solix units first and then update the Mega Live last.

There is a crosstalk issue with the Solix/Apex 4.130 and Mega Live 1.200 combination so I would suggest that you wait until Humminbird fixes that issue before doing any other updates.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

3. Member
    Look deeper into this reading the new update for mega live is only working good with the Helix units and making the apex & solix bad , much interference read some more post here , Humminbird needs a fix for the units

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I think, if you call Humminbird, they will supply you the Solix 4.070 and Mega Live 1.170 updates. That would be my recommendation, since that combination seemed to be pretty solid. Update all of your Solix units first and then update the Mega Live last.

There is a crosstalk issue with the Solix/Apex 4.130 and Mega Live 1.200 combination so I would suggest that you wait until Humminbird fixes that issue before doing any other updates.
    Thanks! I’ll give them a call and give that a shot. I wasn’t aware they’d send me a past version so that’s good to know it’s a possibility.

5. Member
    I am in the same situation. I will need to update soon. Anybody have the Solix 4.070 and Mega Live 1.170 update they would share?

6. Member
    Swing and a miss as far as HB sending the past version. The guy I talked to at HB said they don’t send those out so if anyone has 4.070 and 1.17 they could send me that’d be great.

Quote Originally Posted by foo View Post
    I am in the same situation. I will need to update soon. Anybody have the Solix 4.070 and Mega Live 1.170 update they would share?
    You have to state what generation SOLIX since the G3 is different than the G1/G2
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilzbow View Post
    Swing and a miss as far as HB sending the past version. The guy I talked to at HB said they don’t send those out so if anyone has 4.070 and 1.17 they could send me that’d be great.
    Sorry about that. I thought they would send previous versions. I know they do that when you have such an old version that it requires an interim version to do a current update install. I do have the 4.070 update zip file but it is for Apex and not Solix.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    You have to state what generation SOLIX since the G3 is different than the G1/G2
    Sorry about that. Solix 12 Gen 3

10. Member
    Anybody have the Solix 4.070 and Mega Live 1.170 update for SOLIX GEN 3?