Suction tubes in gas tank cracking?

1998 202ZXc, I dropped the boat off to have a few things done and they told me the tubes are cracked and need to be replaced, or engine may fail.
    It was running great the last few years. Thoughts? Anyone else ever see this problem? thanks!
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

2. Member
    I would assume you mean like the fuel pickup tubes. All I would say is if you trust the shop let them replace them. If one breaks you would be in a bad spot. If they are cracking and even a small piece got sucked up the tube you could be dead in the water and who knows what kind of issues that could cause, certainly more expense if it got lodged someplace. Not sure what they make them out of but I would suppose after 25 years of sitting in gasoline they might get hard and brittle like anything else could? Sorry none of that is probably any help just thoughts of an auto technician. (Not at all a marine technician or boat expert).
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

Thank you! I have never heard of this issue, so I was doubting the diagnosis. I do have other filters and screens inline after the tubes, so I doubt particles would get ingested, but better safe than sorry. I also am wondering how they found it in the first place? lol

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP

4. Member
    99R is totally correct. I've had the tubes out of mine. They are a very hard "plastic" which looks like it could easily get brittle with age. I can't see how it would cost much to change them out...it's a very simple setup. Also the filter screen/mesh at the bottom can then be cleaned or replaced.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    99R is totally correct. I've had the tubes out of mine. They are a very hard "plastic" which looks like it could easily get brittle with age. I can't see how it would cost much to change them out...it's a very simple setup. Also the filter screen/mesh at the bottom can then be cleaned or replaced.
    agree thanks!

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP

6. Member
    That’s a good question, the how they found it. I have no clue what you’re having done, but maybe they found some particulate in a filter or screen. If so that could be a fairly straight forward sign that they are flaking or coming apart. Again totally speculating.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    That’s a good question, the how they found it. I have no clue what you’re having done, but maybe they found some particulate in a filter or screen. If so that could be a fairly straight forward sign that they are flaking or coming apart. Again totally speculating.
    I'd like to think that they were replacing the older fuel lines and went a step further by pulling the lines from tank. If so, that's a good, thorough mechanic...Many would not take the time or even think of it. Also, if the line was cracked, it would be sucking air and not run properly...
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    I'd like to think that they were replacing the older fuel lines and went a step further by pulling the lines from tank. If so, that's a good, thorough mechanic...Many would not take the time or even think of it. Also, if the line was cracked, it would be sucking air and not run properly...
    I had no starting or running issues last year. They were just giving it the once over, I haven't spoke to the mechanic yet, glad they found it, but don't think it would cause the engine to break?? I changed the old lines out a few years ago.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP