Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Panterra II Loading

I have read about it some on here, but didn't pay it much attention because I have loaded countless styles and brands of boats in my life without much if any trouble. But yesterday I took my 1992 Panterra II out for the second time and it kicked my butt at the ramp. I fish solo at least 90% of the time so a 1 stop loading process is crucial. Not the best of weather yesterday so I was able to experiment. Seemed like there were only 2 options. Back in just where the nose would make it over the roller, but when I stopped at the exact point, the boat would be 2' short and too far to winch up. Or get the boat to the roller, but bow too low to get over the roller. I would consider the ramp a little steep, but not extreme and not even abnormal. I will listen to any tips, but I think I might lower the roller. My trailer has 2 rollers the black smaller roller on bottom to run the strap under. I am thinking about making that the 1 and only roller and then it seems as if loading will be normal.

My Sabre is a pain compared to a little 17’ Ranger I had. Best advice I have: outside bunks maybe 4” out of the water, (dip them first), and sit in the middle seat or on your coin box when you pull up on trailer; better balance going on. Then power load last foot or so. I occasionally, have the bow eye off the roller if I don’t follow my procedure.
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

The loading is based on bunks depth, so get the outside bunks just tipping out of the water in most cases. Less depth for steep ramps, more depth for shallow ramps as a rule. Ramps with flat vehicle areas and steeper ramps are a problem for all loading. We did have Sabre loading images in our gallery that showed a consumer loading at the Selma City Ramp.

4. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    When I had my old PII I found the easiest thing to do at any ramp was to remember the depth of the trailer you unloaded it at and try to back it in that same depth.

mine was a power off power on trailer. I had serious problems at first with mine because they are an entire different trailer than anything I had. But once you get used to them you will love the way they load and unload.

5. Member
    I have tried everything, and my newish P2 is the hardest boat to load I have ever dealt with. My issue is the keel loading up off center of the roller. I have to pay attention to the bow shimmy as it's going up the bunks. The miss is always right, so I err to the left. The positive is, once the bow eye hits the roller, the boat does not move at all. I hate boats that shift down when trailering back up.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

6. Member
    Well I tried at least 4 different trailer depths yesterday and never came close to reaching the roller if I could get the bow over. I was moving up or down in 1’ increments. It’s a 92 so highly likely my boards have been changed multiple times. I think I’m bringing my grinder next time.

no problems with my 96 PII, i just leave the top of the fenders 1-2" out of the water and glide up to the roller connect the strap winch up and drive out, it works every time. PS. no powerloading in Michigan

So... How about trying to get your boards in the right location.

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Well I tried at least 4 different trailer depths yesterday and never came close to reaching the roller if I could get the bow over. I was moving up or down in 1’ increments. It’s a 92 so highly likely my boards have been changed multiple times. I think I’m bringing my grinder next time.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    So... How about trying to get your boards in the right location.
    I’ll buy that. I think I’ll need a couple of OG factory measurements. If I need more, I’m listening.

What length do both sides of running boards extend forward from the most forward brace/bracket?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by barbarian; 03-22-2023 at 06:07 PM.

10. Member
    I have a 91 PII single axle trailer and it’s a pain as well. It’s the only thing I don’t like about the boat. I mainly fish Michigan and can’t power load as mentioned above so it’s often a matter of backing in shallow enough that I don’t hit under the bow roller, then hop in the truck and back in far enough that I can winch it up the last foot or so. I look like an idiot at tournaments lol. Some ramps are better than others and it seems that shallower ramps are better since you can back in further without the bow ending up under the roller.

The front bunk boards have to be pulled in excessively before mounting. Often it’s the bunks boards being replaced and the secondary set not being pulled in on the wedge front. Since these boats are over 30 years old, we definitely doubt the boards are stock.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The front bunk boards have to be pulled in excessively before mounting. Often it’s the bunks boards being replaced and the secondary set not being pulled in on the wedge front. Since these boats are over 30 years old, we definitely doubt the boards are stock.

Can you please elaborate on this please? Shouldn't the brackets dictate exactly where the boards can be placed?

It would seem that my running boards probably don't run far enough forward allowing the boat to come in between the end of the running boards and the roller thus allowing the bow to stay under the roller on a steeper ramp. 'I think' mathematically if I extended the boards a couple of feet forward, they would catch the hull on a steeper ramp and push the the bow up to get over the roller. Then once the rear of the boat settled down that forward runnning board wouldn't even be touching the hull.
    Last edited by barbarian; 03-23-2023 at 08:49 AM.

13. Member
    This afternoon I really focused on my boards like advised. Nobody was at the ramp when the got there so I played around. Stopped backing in a little sooner and power unloaded. Made a circle and loaded it 100% normal. Didn’t believe it so backed it up and did it again. Took a pic of trailer and went fishing. End of day I backed it up to same point, but then pulled forward just a hair. Loaded boat. Bow made it over, but couldn’t get the last 4” to get eye to the roller but close enough. Probably had it perfect before I inched forward. Here’s a picture of the trailer when it loaded perfectly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    Are you trimming up quite a bit when power loading?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbhanger51 View Post
    Enough to push stern down but it’s barely floating on the boards. Not much room to push down. But I can repeat today every day and be happy. And it should get better and better next few trips.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbhanger51 View Post
    Is there a recommended trim for power loading?
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

17. Member
    I always trim to fast trim. Then bump it back to the start of slow trim for loading.

Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Is there a recommended trim for power loading?
    I bump mine up to just before it tilts.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostone View Post
    I always trim to fast trim. Then bump it back to the start of slow trim for loading.
    My exact procedure.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

20. Member
    So, I bought my '97 PII and owned for 25 years. Loading onto the trailer was my biggest issue and the only issue I ever had that I didn't like about Basscat. Your picture is exactly where I would put mine in the water. Even if you find the sweet spot you will have issues the next time you load or unload. Boat ramps are different, the lake rises and lowers. I did more damage to the boat loading than anytime while fishing. I bent the roller brackets. I scrapped the front of the eye because I had to power load and it would dig into the roller. For that boat and trailer you will always have that issue. If I had a partner with me who backed the trailer in I would have them back in shallow until I got the bow past the roller and then have them back the trailer up until I could push the boat up against the roller. Then I would hook it up and pull it out. There were times when I was by myself and couldn't get it against the ring. I would leave the transom straps loose, pull truck forward and hit the brakes hard to slide the boat the rest of the way onto the trailer. Lots of times I would back far enough to get the boat against the roller and when I walked forward on the deck the boat would slide right back off before I could get the winch strap secured. So, pull trailer out far enough to stop that and you couldn't get the bow over the roller. It was frustrating sometimes.

That being said the Cougar that I currently have is a pleasure to load by myself. It's a major difference between night and day from the PII.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast