Tying a 3 tag knot

Just recently started a youtube channel to share what I've learned. my newest video is out today on tying the 3 tag knot. Please like, comment and subscribe.
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Bow: Garmin 106sv & Livescope Plus
    Console: Garmin 106sv
    https://www.youtube.com/@fishnitup

2. Member
    I call that a double pitzen knot?

3. Member
    Very strong, but the one problem with the knot tied that way is that you end up with 3 tags all facing forward - and if you use fluorocarbon or mono, those 3 forward facing prongs are a magnet for any fine moss and weeds. There are YouTube video variations of this knot out there - take a look at the Gerald Swindle version - basically the same knot, but instead at the end - you go back down through the loop that is nearest to the hook eye. That way when you're done and trim the tags - only one tag is facing forward and two are facing backwards which prevents getting gunked up all the time.
    Last edited by FryDog62; 04-06-2023 at 09:27 AM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FryDog62 View Post
    Very strong, but the one problem with the knot tied that way is that you end up with 3 tags all facing forward - and if you use fluorocarbon or mono, those 3 forward facing prongs are a magnet for any fine moss and weeds. There are YouTube video variations of this knot out there - take a look at the Gerald Swindle version - basically the same knot, but instead at the end - you go back down through the loop that is nearest to the hook eye. That way when you're done and trim the tags - only one tag is facing forward and two are facing backwards which prevents getting gunked up all the time.
    Thanks for the info. I have noticed some buildup but I have gotten in a habit of running my hand up the line after a fish catch or a couple casts. Just feeling for bad spots in the fluorocarbon. I will have to try tying it the way you suggested.
    2022 Vexus 1980
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Bow: Garmin 106sv & Livescope Plus
    Console: Garmin 106sv
    https://www.youtube.com/@fishnitup

5. Member
    Shaw Grigsby has a GREAT video on a 3 tag knot I have been using for years and it has NEVER failed me.

6. Scraps
    The Pitzen seems easier to tie compared to the "Shark" knot for me. Keeping that loop open right in front of the hook eye can be tough. As far as the forward facing tag ends, yeah, might be able to address that by using a bobber stop. Saw that trick from a CA guy on a chatterbait.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MainelySmallmouth View Post
    Shaw Grigsby has a GREAT video on a 3 tag knot I have been using for years and it has NEVER failed me.
    Yes strong, but the Swindle knot is the same thing with a different finish and without the 3 forward prongs to get gunked up.