2013 Evinrude 90 HO WOT when steering motor dies

MODEL E90DHLAFA

Please be patient while i explain this...

This motor is mounted on a 2014 17' Legend SS Aluminum flat bottom with a jet drive lower on it..

Its our river boat for northern wi... It has developed a problem as of late that i need some opinions on..

Motor runs fantastic.. Starts first try... purrs like a kitten.. runs wot 5600 with no trim into the motor... 6000rpm trimmed out a bit... but really dont trim a jet much...
    Runs great..

Heres the problem...

The river i run on is real rocky and dicey... lots of tight chutes and aggressive turning to make it up some of the rapid areas...

The motor has developed a issue where at wot when you turn left or right aggressive at all the motor falls on its face... its like if it had a choke and you instantly turned the chock on and soon as you turned and as soon as so straighten the wheel back out you shut the choke off and back to normal..

Motor falls on its face down to 1500 rpm if you let it.. no error lights.. no anything..

I took it out this past weekend as the ice if off the lakes up here... in gear at idle i can go lock to lock no issues... 2000 rpm lock to lock no problem.. 3000 rpm almost on plain lock to lock no problem...

4000 rpm on plane now running about 18-20mph lock to lock no problem... 5000 rpm turn slightly doing maybe 100 yard circle no problem... turn harder rpm drops a fuzz like 400 rpm but not bad and recovers...

wot can make a wide circle maybe 100 yards no issue... but any sort of aggressive turning left or right it falls on its face but as soon as you straighten the wheel this issue is gone...

You can imagine driving thru a s-curve of rocks in 2 feet of water and lose power while turning....

so to sum it up i have a motor that wants to die when you turn at speed...

I have looked under the dash for wires for anything rubbing related to the steering like if i was getting a short of something but all appears to be fine.. And i would think if it was a wiring problem related to the steering it would do it all the time when i turned the wheel...not just at wot

ive taken the cowl and lower off motor and check all wiring connectors and plugs for being connected... check as much harness as i can see for rubbing or anything wrong.. all seems fine...

i dont think its fuel related as it recovers so quick when you straighten out the boat... i removed the water seperator filter on motor and drained it into a jar thinking maybe moisture in it sloshing at turn was doing it but no water...

I dont think the ecu losing power or anything like that as the qauge stays on and fuctioning with no light flashing like its restarting... and the motor is still running just dying...

The way i can related it best would be like if you where making a turn in a older boat and someone turned the choke on... its that kind of sound from the motor and feeling... just blaaaaaa.... but as soon as you straighten it out its like it never happened...

if you ran the boat straight and didn't make aggressive turns you would never know anything is wrong...

So ill stop there... I'm open to any ideas and will answer any question...

Thanks for the help

Doug

2. Member
    my first thought goes to a primer bulb problem or a pinching fuel line.
    A picture of the rigging tube area would be helpful.

also suggest you post here https://www.etecownersgroup.com/categories

there is a dealer who posts there frequently and he is very familiar with Evinrude and the jet drive system.
    Last edited by Bighare2; 03-21-2023 at 01:05 PM.

3. Member
    i forgot to add that i removed anti syphion valve... replaced fuel hose from tank to motor.. new evinrude primer bulb... cause i thought also fuel... but it almost cant be.. as the i can turn at wot... get it to act up... and straighten it out and back to normal in about 3 seconds... and i figure theres no way the fuel injectors, lines, fuel filter, lift pump and vapor separator could run dry so fast...

the jet drive is just a lower unit... motor is same as a prop motor... I will put a post over there as well..