Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 2022 Skeeter FXR21 or 2021 Ranger 521L

Hey guys,

So, in my quest for a new boat I found a 2022 Skeeter FXR21 in my favorite colors with very low hours for $79k then I realized I could probably buy a low hour 2021 Ranger 521 around that same price. I have owned 3 Skeeters and 2 Tritons and I’m finally in a financial situation where I could purchase something like this. I know the Ranger will likely have better resale value but those new FXRs are so freaking cool, and having come out of three different iClass boats the FXR has been a dream of mine. But dang I could buy a Ranger for the same price and they are pretty darn cool too. A Ranger is a Ranger.

Help me decide guys!

Oh yeah, and I have considered a Caymas CX 21 as well. I know the Phoenix 921 is a great boat but I’m just not crazy about the looks of them and everybody has one.
    2022 Skeeter FXR21 Apex
    Helix 15/ Helix 12 / Garmin 1222 / LS34 Livescope

Jer. 33:3

2. Member
    It seems like only you can decide what boat you should get. I have never owned a Ranger but I know, having ridden in several, they are extremely nice rigs. I currently own a 2022 Skeeter FXR 21 and absolutely love it. The attention to detail is amazing IMO. The seats are ridiculously comfortable. I changed out for a Bobs hyd JP which I like better than Atlas. Only personal preference. The FXR comes with the floor storage compartment and a few upgrades compared to the ZXR. Again, I'm certain Ranger will provide you with many luxuries as well. The choice is only yours. My boat is dark in color with nothing to attract people from a distance. I like to be ignored. I don't think you could go wrong with either boat.

Thanks for your thoughts on the FXR. I think the porpoising issue scares people away. I happen to like the way the Skeeter feels when driving and I the think if you want that Skeeter feel then you deal with the slow speed issues, which in my mind isn’t a big deal at all. The engineers at Skeeter would have resolved that obvious issue many many years ago. I’m sure Yamaha corporation has plenty of top end brainiacs to engineer these hulls. Their R&D resources and reach in the industry probably exceed any other boat brand. But getting into a Ranger has to be on the table for me at that price point. I know I need to drive both and that’s the challenge.
    2022 Skeeter FXR21 Apex

Yeah a decision that only you should make. Being that it will be over a 100k to get into a new one, either option, 20k+ less is not a bad deal.

But your also comparing a possible 3 year old boat, with a 2 year boat, course dependant on when they bought the boat. Options and warranty would matter to me.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchdip View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts on the FXR. I think the porpoising issue scares people away. I happen to like the way the Skeeter feels when driving and I the think if you want that Skeeter feel then you deal with the slow speed issues, which in my mind isn’t a big deal at all. The engineers at Skeeter would have resolved that obvious issue many many years ago. I’m sure Yamaha corporation has plenty of top end brainiacs to engineer these hulls. Their R&D resources and reach in the industry probably exceed any other boat brand. But getting into a Ranger has to be on the table for me at that price point. I know I need to drive both and that’s the challenge.
    For what it is worth this is my two cents. I have a older FX21 and love it. Yes Skeeters do porpoise if you don't know how to get up on plane. For anyone reading this who might not know, what you have to do is leave the engine trimmed all the way down until the boat is up on plane and then trim up as you add power. If you trim up as the comes out of the hole like most bass boats a porpoise will be induced and the porpoise won't go away until you are running pretty fast. I've experimented and it is amazing. If I trim up as the boat jumps on plane the boat will porpoise at a higher speed than if I just let it get on plane and then trim up. By waiting to trim up I can stay on plane at a much lower speed without any porpoise at all. Rangers are great boats but for me personally I would have to take into consideration that since WRM purchased Ranger their reputation with many is not as good. I don't want to start a fight with Ranger owners. Note that I said "reputation" is not as good and I think that is true. Many people feel that since WRM took them over that the quality has dropped. Maybe real quality has stayed the same or gotten better. The thing is that often what people think becomes reality so if enough people feel that Ranger has slipped then the resale might not be so strong as the past. I think as a past Skeeter owner you know Skeeter quality and what a bug is all about. Perhaps if you could fish with a late model Ranger owner for a day and be allowed to drive and fish from up front you would be better informed.

6. Moderator
    As a Ranger owner, I'll say this. My current 518 is the best boat I've ever owned. I've never driven a Ranger L boat before but have only heard how sluggish they are performance wise. If it were me, I'd pass on the L boat. I'd look for a C model or the new R model. I have spent alot of time in a couple R series Rangers on the showroom floor. I can tell you thier quality is still what it always was. I'm OCD to the max and the 3 i spent hours in were absolutely perfect in every way.

7. Member
    I’m not an economist or anything of the like but I have a hard time believing the Ranger will hold any significant value over the Skeeter down the road. So if that’s your only real objection to the Skeeter you love, get the dang thing. You have owned a few so you know how they ride and drive. Will only be an improvement over your older boats. Btw Ranger does make a great boat. My dad has a 2018, so I am not knocking the Ranger at all. It was my 2nd choice when I was looking.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

8. Member
    I had 3 Rangers, then 1 Skeeter, then took 5 years off of fishing. The past 12 months I slowly started looking at boats, reading BBC comments, attending boat shows, looking at used, taking guide trips on different boats, etc. Over the past several months I test drove several brands at about 5 different dealers and took my time with everything. I told each dealership I wasn't buying that day no matter how much I liked whatever boat they had me demo or whatever deal they were willing to make, etc. etc.

The Ranger 521 was a great boat and I would have been happy with it. I thought the Z520R was going to be the one for me because that was the boat I wanted when I started the whole process and I even went to the dealership to order one last year but with the factory delays I ended up putting my checkbook back in my pocket and decided to make sure I drove everything first before making such a big purchase. After a year long process where I was in absolutely no hurry, I ended up with a 2023 Skeeter FXR20 after a year of research and driving and riding in pretty much any boat I could find at a dealership near me in Texas (Phoenix, Caymas, Skeeter, Xpress, Vexus, Ranger and others I'm sure I'm forgetting).

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any questions. You won't go wrong with either boat IMO.

Thanks everyone! I am overwhelmed with the responses, and I really appreciate it. There is lots to consider here and being a Skeeter guy really helps me narrow things down.
    2022 Skeeter FXR21 Apex

10. Member
    It was time for me to get a new boat in 2021 (mid summer) and my final two ended up being between the FXR21 and the 521L. Both were nice boats and equally trimmed out in comparable bells & whistles. I felt the Ranger was built with the high standards it always has been (I’ve owned a few in the past), but this one had some ergonomic issues (for me). Unfortunately they discontinued the C hull and only had the L. The L rode flatter, and had a narrower front deck. Oddly, even the 520L had a wider front deck over the 521L. Front deck size was a high priority feature for me. I did not like the side rod lockers - not long enough for 8ft rods and limited due to the rod tubes in the front (the FXR definitely had a better designed rod locker with that single open tube). The center compartment was either tackle or rod holder, it could not do both together well as the rods need to be stored in the middle. The FXR could store a few rods and they were positioned to the sides, allowing access to tackle storage systems in the center better. The FXR also had that nifty removable rack storage system. The front side compartments were deeper in the Ranger, but, like I mentioned, stored less rods (I still liked the deeper depth). The trolling motor pedal in the Ranger was positioned further back from the bow panel, “stealing” away some of the front deck space as this forces you to stand further back (wasting the space in front). The only other negative I could remember was the Ranger had fewer livewell pumps (big deal for me as I’m a both pumps “constant on” guy. The Ranger had a nicer cooler, but the Skeeter technically had two.

The out the door price I was offered on the 521L (loaded, including lithiums, 2- 12” graphs, poles, hydraulic jackplate and Ghost) was $75k. Anyone selling you a used one for more today is ripping you off (I don’t care about market conditions, I don’t believe selling something used for more than what you paid for it new is a fair deal).

I ended up going with the Skeeter FXR21. It was actually a few thousand higher, but came with 3 - 12” Helix’s, a 12” Garmin with Livescope, and HB360. Batteries were not lithium, but it came with 5, not just 4. The rest of the options were similar, but I preferred the pedal feel of the Ultrex. The FXR had the better ride and I thought the seats were more comfortable too. Msrp’s were comparable, Skeeter might have actually been higher, but had better rebates (I got the APEX trim). I could have cared less regarding the Yamaha/Mercury choice, I’ve had good luck with both brands in the past.

The crazy prices came right after I got mine. If I had to pay those prices used, I’d rather just get new instead and pay more. People forget that little detail that the “lifetime” hull warranty is only to the original, new purchaser. Second purchaser only gets 10 years (from original delivery date), anyone after that gets nil. Though well built, I don’t buy into the hype of “a Ranger is a Ranger” mentality, but if enough people believe that, it only helps resale values (which is a wash if you paid more up front to begin with). Ranger build quality is still good (at least my experience to 2021), they have not become “Nitros” yet. Skeeters are comparable, but I’m a little suspicious that the current generation might not be built like the tank my iClass was (every thing else is better with the new ones though). Time will tell on durability, my previous Skeeter held up better than my previous Rangers (gel stress cracks, etc). Both finishes (Ranger & Skeeter) held up over time better than all the other brands I’ve been around.
    Last edited by JJohnSind; 03-21-2023 at 10:25 PM.

11. Member
    Yes, you should drive both before you decide. I run a 2019 521L . Some comments on here about the L boats are true & some not so true. I don't have any 8 foot rods so unsure how many 8's i could fit in. Center rod locker has trays that hold at least 4 3700 planos on edge on each side & still able to get 14 casting rigs in using rod socks & doubling up in some tubes. Side lockers are a bit narrower than my previous 521vx but still manage to stuff more rods & tackle in than I really need. It does seem to want to be ran "flatter " than other boats but every Ranger I've had I could overtim then go faster after after adjusting trim down some. 360, 520, 521vx. L may be narrower on deck than a 520 but has not been an issue for me. Mine is just short of 22 feet long. Sluggish ? 67 2 guys, tournament load wit me @ 6'1 300ish lbs. Maybe not the fastest, but not the slowest on the water either in real life. 250 Pro XS 4s, 10" Atlas plate, 2 10' blades 23 Fury. Holeshot 2nd to none in my opinion. Can EASILY get up with plate max up & 3 guys seated in less than 1&1/2 feet water. I can't comment on the Skeeters since I haven't been in 1 of the models you are considering, but I would not trade my 521L for a 518/519 that I have driven. Not trying to call anyone out on this either. I know I'm happy with mine & hope you will be with your decision. Best wishes. Again, DRIVE THEN DECIDE !
    Last edited by Fishshooter; 03-21-2023 at 11:46 PM.

12. Member
    Only you can decide. I will say I owned a 2015 Ranger Z119c and now own a 2021 Skeeter ZXR20. Everyone talks about the proposing issues with skeeter but I don't see it. Every boat out there will porpoise if your over trimmed without enough speed. My ranger would porpoise if I slowed down a bunch and didn't trim down. There are things I liked about my ranger that I don't see in my skeeter and things I like about my skeeter vs my ranger. I will say that my skeeter rides and handles better than my ranger did but how much of that ride difference is the added length in the skeeter is unknown. I will add this, congratulations on the opportunity to get a new or new to you high end rig. I don't think you can go wrong with either. My advice would be to look at both models closely and in person. As you go through them think about which one gets you the most excited.

520 has always had a wider front deck than a 521.
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Hey guys, thanks for all of the great insightful info!

I went ahead and put a hold deposit on a used 2022 FXR21 Apex with only a couple hours on the motor. Whopping $78k. And yeah, I'm paying crazy "new boat" money for it. (Somebody talk some sense into me! LOL) The new FXR21 Apexes are selling in the $100k range now and the used ones are in the upper 70's to low 80's. Hard to believe. I have numerous discussions with dealers and the FXR's and ZXR's are flying off the shelves. At the beginning of the week my dealer brought in 8 FXR's and have already sold 4 (sold 3 last saturday). Even with the higher price points on the FXR over the Rangers, the Skeeters are out selling Ranger 2 to 1 according to the latest sales stats. I don't have to drive the FXR to know how it handles coming out of 3 different iClass models. Everyone tells me its like an iClass except more agile and responsive. Of course its pretty easy for any boat to be more responsive than the iClass! LOL Anyway, the 2022 & 2023 FXR's are some kind of machine and at first site are very impressive to behold. It checks all the boxes for me. Also, I found out that the ZXR and the FXR are now the exact same hull. So, its only the finishes and a few amenities that are different. The ZXR sells for $79k and the FXR at $94k. Apex is over 100k and the ZXR is the same hull... Hard to pass up a ZXR these days if one is buying new.

I admit, with the exception of the Rangers, every other boat I see just pails in comparison to the FXR's. When you see it and crawl up in the boat you feel like you have walked into a luxury penthouse with attitude. I'm very happy and confident in this purchase.
    Last edited by Ranchdip; 03-23-2023 at 12:25 AM.
    2022 Skeeter FXR21 Apex

15. Member
    Congrats....post some pics when u get it
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

16. Member
    Congrats Look forward to the pictures and the official review once you have had it out.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

17. Member
    You might look into a Falcon they handle like a Skeeter and fish like a Ranger. The price on them is a little bit better. I wil admit I have really been looking at the Skeeters though. They make a good looking boat.

18. Member
    Unfortunately there are many folks that no longer adhere to the old adage that a Ranger is a Ranger. I heard it now goes that a Ranger is more like a Nitro than the pre BPS Rangers. Could just be poor judgement, not sure.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    You might look into a Falcon they handle like a Skeeter and fish like a Ranger. The price on them is a little bit better. I wil admit I have really been looking at the Skeeters though. They make a good looking boat.
    I was a co angler in a BLF a with a guy in a Falcon. I was very impressed with the ride and handling. I have a Ranger and it was a way better ride than mine in choppy water. Been a Co Anger in several brands. My favorite was Phoenix, Falcon, Basscat and Skeeter in that order. The fastest ride was a Phoenix 721 but he was a wild man on the throttle so that may have been the deal with that. I would buy a Falcon or Skeeter at the drop of a hat.

20. Derek McCullough
    Man that is a smoking deal on a 2022 model Apex. I have a 22 FXR20 Apex and absolutely love it. The Skeeter will hold the better resale over Ranger. Once Ranger was purchased by Johnny and the gang it became a mass produced boat and the resale doesn't hold up like it once would have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast