2014 Pro XS Powerhead replacement

I'm looking at a boat that the owner claims the motor needs a new powerhead. It's a 2014 Mercury 150 Pro XS. What numbers should I be looking at to replace it? Is it something I could do in my garage? I'm very mechanically inclined and have or will get all the "special" tools needed

2. Member
    ser number needed for part numbers or are you wanting prices for parts
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

You can lookup pricing on components here: mercurypartsonline.net

Before you start buying things, I would want to know that the CAUSE of the failure had been determined, and addressed. Would also want to inspect electrical, fuel, air induction, ignition and cooling systems for any compromised components.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor