Spinning Rod For Jerkbaits

I haven't thrown a jerkbait much and would like to try this spring. Fishing northern smallmouth in clear lakes so thinking of going with a spinning setup. Not sure if I need a new rod though. The only rods I have under 7' are a bps carbonlite 6'6" mh/f rod with a president reel or a custom 6'10 ml/XF that I use for fishing a ned rig with a Daiwa Fuego reel. Just not sure if the mh is too much and the ml too light or if I need to find something in a medium-fast. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    2021 Vexus AVX 181, Mercury 60CT 4S, MK Ultrex, HB Helix 7 MSI and MDI

Megabass Orochi.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

3. Member
    Ronin.
    -Matt

You can throw them on either rod you have, both will work, neither are ideal. These guys are right on about the Megabass XX Ronin. It gets a lot of love for jerk bait fishing and it does a fantastic job, even on some of the bigger bodied baits like the Pointer 100. I actually like the XX Whipsnake a lot for tossing jerk baits around, even the Vision 110 sized baits. You obviously don't have to spend Megabass money on a JB rod, but they sure do make some nice ones! Feel free to send me a PM if I can help, The Tackle Trap keeps them in stock when at all possible.

ALX Rods JPS

Built to handle size 90 and 110 jerkbaits, the ALX Rods ZOLO JPS fills the need for a spinning rod built specifically for twitch baits. A short handle paired with the correct working length makes the JPS an indispensable tool for the angler looking for that hard-to-find jerkbait rod in a spinning style design. While forward-facing sonar has changed bass fishing by making the jerkbait a year-round technique for many anglers - we discovered in testing that the JPS performs very well with shakey heads and small jig head + 2"-3" swimbait combos.

• Line: 8 - 18#
    • Lure: 3/8 - 3/4 oz
    • Length: 6'8"
    • Power: Med
    • Action: Fast
    • Average Rod Weight: 4.25 oz
    • Handle Length: 11" (End of butt to the front of reel seat)
    • Number of Guides: 8

6. Member
    I actually like a longer spinning rod for jerkbaits I’m using a kage 7”3 all around and really like it for long casts.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

7. Member
    NRX 803s
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

8. Member
    Hello!! Loomis makes a imx spinning jerkbait rod I like alot!! the other models I use is the Dobyns 742 and 743 spinning models.

I don’t sell rods, unlike most others commentating. Get a Loomis IMX Pro 812S.

Was in a small tackle shop yesterday and found a 6'8" Daiwa Kage jerkbait spinning rod on sale for $99. Couldn't pass it up so we will see ��
    2021 Vexus AVX 181, Mercury 60CT 4S, MK Ultrex, HB Helix 7 MSI and MDI

11. Member
    St Croix mojo 7' medium fast

12. Member
    Dont overlook the Dobyns colt. Yes, COLT 693 spinning. Has a little bit of fiberglass in the blank that makes it NICE.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.