Need new rods, need help

As usual, I have developed analysis paralysis. I’m needing to upgrade and replace numerous rods and would like to stay with one or two manufacturers. I have a mish mash of stuff now and I’m tired of it. I qualify for 30% off with Dobyns so almost makes it a no brainer. Other stuff I’m considering is Fitzgerald all purpose and Thrift series, ALX zolo series, Falcon, alpha angler, the virtus jewel rods look awesome. Looking for any and all input.

2. Member
    Dobyns stuff so good, can’t imagine going anywhere else with that kind of discount. I have rods from virtually every manufacturer. Not claiming dobyns is superior, but I have lots of their stuff. If you’re picky about models and lines I think you can get exactly what you need for every technique. I pick up my HP and Extasy spinning rods as much as I do my NRX +. My $0.02.

-M
    -Matt

3. Scraps
    Some that I've thought about trying, ALX, Cashion and Phenix. Also like what I hear from G. Dobyns on how they build rods.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Some that I've thought about trying, ALX, Cashion and Phenix. Also like what I hear from G. Dobyns on how they build rods.
    I fix a lot of rods and I'd agree that Dobyns are built well. Better than most. I haven't had every brand in my hands but have had a lot and Dobyns, Megabass and ALX are really the only factory built rods I'd consider if I didn't build my own.

5. Member
    This is the kind of stuff I was looking for! I appreciate the feedback. I should probably go with Dobyns for the bulk of my arsenal and keep an open mind towards select others for highly technique specific stuff if Dobyns doesn’t have something I’m looking for.

6. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I fix a lot of rods and I'd agree that Dobyns are built well. Better than most. I haven't had every brand in my hands but have had a lot and Dobyns, Megabass and ALX are really the only factory built rods I'd consider if I didn't build my own.
    What caught me about the Dobyns was an interview when Gary was asked about rod weights, his response was, "we like to talk about rod balance instead of rod weight." If you ever fish with a badly balanced rod, in particular a flipping/pitching rod, it'll kill you by day's end.
    2017 Phoenix 819

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    What caught me about the Dobyns was an interview when Gary was asked about rod weights, his response was, "we like to talk about rod balance instead of rod weight." If you ever fish with a badly balanced rod, in particular a flipping/pitching rod, it'll kill you by day's end.
    From my experience, if you start with a high quality blank, “balance” naturally follows (unless you overdo the bling or mismatch components). I have never had to (or would ever want to) added weight to a rod to need to balance it.

Dobyns is a good rod for the money, but hardly close the best.

8. Member
    Dobyns with your discount without a doubt. What hasn’t been mentioned is the warranty they offer you. Hard to beat

9. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    From my experience, if you start with a high quality blank, “balance” naturally follows (unless you overdo the bling or mismatch components). I have never had to (or would ever want to) added weight to a rod to need to balance it.

Dobyns is a good rod for the money, but hardly close the best.
    I had a Powell last season that I couldn't even take in the boat with me. Was bad, maybe a one-off. Cheaper rod too.
    2017 Phoenix 819

10. Member
    I was in the same situation a couple years back and decided to change to Falcon. I can't compare these new models to the older ones but I've been 100% satisficed with them and can't complain at all. I've got mostly Cara's but do have a couple of the Experts since they weren't available in the Cara line but have been completely satisficed with them as well. I think they're light, very well balanced, sensitive, and have a model for all the different techniques I use. Just my .02!
    1998 Champion 203
    1998 Mercury 225
    Minn Kota Ultrex, 10" Helix MSI+ G4N, 10" Helix MDI+ G4N
    "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1

11. Member
    Depends what you prioritize. Dobyns at 30 percent is a goof value but most of their rods don't compare well on sensitivity to comparably priced competitors. They don't talk about weight because they're heavy. A light rod that is balanced will beat a heavy rod that is balance all day long. Dobyns do have great actions though and good quality builds.

12. Member
    I’ve thought about doing the same thing in the past. Hard to beat the 30% discount at Dobyns. I’ve driven over there a couple times to take advantage of that in person. Good people there too.

Seems I always gravitate to Dobyns or Falcon.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

13. Member
    I bought my one Dobyns rod after a similar question posted here roughly 5 years ago. Since I have bought four or five new rods and none are Dobyns. They definitely have a following here. Saying that,at 30% off they are certainly worth looking at.
    Red Sox in 6!

14. Member
    Dobyns makes good rods across the line up, with discount makes them a great valve. I've rotated a few in and out of the fleet. Don't care for the spinning handles. Had a ALX Toad Face nicely built rod, little heavy, and grip diameter is bigger than I prefer. Have a custom (cork handle) Alpha Angler Slasher. Nicley built, well balanced, like the action, again a little heavy and grip diameter is larger than I care for. Splitting hairs on the handle, but I know what I like. I will have my rod guy sand it down. I tend to lean toward Smaller diameter grips on Loomis, Shimano, and Diawa. If you like the Dobyns and can get a no b/S discount, I would be all in.

I'm completely switching to 100% Dobyns this year if that gives you any indication. I've gone through about a dozen rod brands over the last 10 years or so and Dobyns was on the short list for a few reasons...

1) They don't change blanks, designs and tapers every other year...if you break it, you can replace it pretty easily
    2) Their tapers fit 9 times out of 10 with what I expect from a rod and how I fish
    3) Sensitivity is on par with other rods in the same price range
    4) They are some of if not the best balanced rods out there across the board
    5) They have some of the best customer service in the business
    6) They are built well and don't have breakage issues like some companies
    7) They run a good amount of sales through their vendors so acquiring them is usually not too hard on the wallet

16. Member
    With a discount like that the Dobyns would be almost impossible to pass on. The St. Croix Legend series is the line I am hooked on but have tried Dobyns and would not pass one up.

I would agree that Dobyn's gives you the best bang and choices for the money. I am very partial to the extreme or above but that is just me. You can cover every technique with their rods.

18. Member
    With your discount, I'd definitely go dobyns. I don't know if a manufacturer has as many blanks to choose from at a wide variety of price points.

That said, any reason why you dislike a mismatch of different rods? I don't think I could ever stick with one brand
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

19. Member
    Dobyns for sure

20. Member
    Over the last few years, all of my rod purchases have been Dobyns and ALX and plan to continue to do so. I like both for different things.