250 Pro Xs realiabiltiy

I have found a boat with a 2021 Mercury 250 Pro XS, never had a four stroke always had 2 strokes, what are opinions on the 4 strokes and how long are they lasting if taken care of(hours)?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Overall, expect them to be more reliable in the long-term than previous 2-stroke models. Good idea to locate the serial number of the engine you're looking at.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Overall, expect them to be more reliable in the long-term than previous 2-stroke models. Good idea to locate the serial number of the engine you're looking at.
    Some to stay away from?

You will love it. I would never go back to 2s if given a choice
    Cant give ya a long term report myself, only around 60hrs on mine

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nix03 View Post
    Some to stay away from?
    Only broken or abused ones.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    305 hrs on mine no issues serviced regularly.

7. Member
    2019 250 pro xs v8 with 150 hrs knock on wood so far so good. Runs like a top.