Jerkbait Setup Questions

I haven't thrown a jerkbait much and would like to try this spring. Fishing northern smallmouth in clear lakes so thinking of going with a spinning setup. Not sure if I need a new rod though. The only rods I have under 7' are a bps carbonlite 6'6" mh/f rod with a president reel or a custom 6'10 ml/XF that I use for fishing a ned rig with a Daiwa Fuego reel. Just not sure if the mh is too much and the ml too light or if I need to find something in a medium-fast. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    2021 Vexus AVX 181, Mercury 60CT 4S, MK Ultrex, HB Helix 7 MSI and MDI

What size jerkbaits are you intending to use? I’d be concerned that the MH rod is a bit much for standard sized JBs like the 110, although I really comes down to how the rod loads under stress. The ML rod might work but hard to say without actually examining it.

3. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar
    I just never could get into throwing a jb with a spinning rig, and I tried it for a while but it always felt awkward. 6'6" to 6'8" Medium casting is my go to.
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by Runsome View Post
    What size jerkbaits are you intending to use? I’d be concerned that the MH rod is a bit much for standard sized JBs like the 110, although I really comes down to how the rod loads under stress. The ML rod might work but hard to say without actually examining it.
    I was wrong. I went out the barn where the boat is stored and look at the carbonlite and it is a mf not a mhf. I think I will start with that and go from there. With that setup would you recommend braid with a flouro leader or straight flouro/co-poly?
    2021 Vexus AVX 181, Mercury 60CT 4S, MK Ultrex, HB Helix 7 MSI and MDI

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos92 View Post
    I was wrong. I went out the barn where the boat is stored and look at the carbonlite and it is a mf not a mhf. I think I will start with that and go from there. With that setup would you recommend braid with a flouro leader or straight flouro/co-poly?
    As a medium/fast rod, that Carbonlite could be a really nice set-up for you. As for the line, it’s really just a matter of personal preference, and I think there was recently another thread with some really good perspectives on this. I generally prefer braid with a long leader (20-30’). The thinner-diameter braid makes for longer casts. Also the braid just makes the line a little more manageable over the course of a day. Straight fluoro will kink from the twitching and pausing - but with a leader, it’s easy and cheaper to just tie on a new one.
    Last edited by Runsome; 03-22-2023 at 03:44 AM.

6. Member
    Last season was the first season I really started throwing a jerkbait. I was unsure where to start so used a 7' med spinning off rod and did not like the way I could work the bait with it. I decided to get a budget rod to try. Went with a Shimano slx 6'10" medium Combo casting setup and it made a world of difference for me. It is now one of my favorite techniques to throw. I have since upgraded to a expride 6'10" med with a curado reel. It's an amazing jerkbait combo. I run 20 lb 832 braid and start with a 10' 10 lb fluro leader and has worked extremely well for me.
    Skip Bogert-- Kempton, Pa
    2019 Ranger Rt 188 ( fusion )-115 Pro XS- MK ultrex

Some good discussion on jerkbait setups in a recent thread: https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1216152

As I mentioned in that thread, I personally like throwing them on braid to a leader with a rod that's a little more moderate in action. I use a BFS style reel and really wouldn't think of throwing them on spinning gear after going that route, it's just a lot more efficient and the line twist and management issues you get with spinning gear are gone. Before that, I only used spinning gear for the really small jerkbaits I couldn't physically cast on casting gear. Different strokes for different folks, though!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Some good discussion on jerkbait setups in a recent thread: https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1216152

As I mentioned in that thread, I personally like throwing them on braid to a leader with a rod that's a little more moderate in action. I use a BFS style reel and really wouldn't think of throwing them on spinning gear after going that route, it's just a lot more efficient and the line twist and management issues you get with spinning gear are gone. Before that, I only used spinning gear for the really small jerkbaits I couldn't physically cast on casting gear. Different strokes for different folks, though!
    Drew - I just got my 1st BFS set-up because I’m much more comfortable using baitcasting gear for jerkbaits. Quick question: is there generally a weight/size limit where you won’t use the BFS and instead use your regular JB set-up? I’m trying to figure out if, for example, I can use the BFS set-up effectively for Pointer 78’s and Nanahans. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Runsome View Post
    Drew - I just got my 1st BFS set-up because I’m much more comfortable using baitcasting gear for jerkbaits. Quick question: is there generally a weight/size limit where you won’t use the BFS and instead use your regular JB set-up? I’m trying to figure out if, for example, I can use the BFS set-up effectively for Pointer 78’s and Nanahans. Thanks!
    I throw everything on mine. The one issue I ran into—and one I think that could be somewhat common—is that I was spooling (or at least coming close to spooling) the reel with baits I was able to throw well on “normal” casting gear. I went to a lighter braid mainline and tied it straight to the honeycomb on the spool (removing the mono backing I usually use) for the extra capacity.

Pretty sure I settled on 24 lb Gliss eventually as it casts amazingly due to its smoothness, and has a bit of stiffness which helps reduce tip wraps and keep the line going onto the reel a little more nicely when reeled under no tension, something that’s really helpful for jerkbait fishing. Don’t let the lb test rating fool you…the stuff is insanely thin at 0.174 mm diameter, something I think gave the line a bad name due to people buying line that’s too light due to its lb test ratings. I’d never use anything lighter than 24 lb Gliss in any bass fishing application, for what it’s worth.

On that note, with something that light you’ve definitely got to watch the section just above above the leader knot. It will eventually start to fray due to all the repeated shocks, and I think Gliss frays a little more quickly than standard braid due to how fine all of the individual “stands” are that make it up. I lost an absolute monster in a tourney when I was on a great jerkbait bite and was too amped up to retie. It was sickening seeing my leader knot go flying off through the water when it happened, though I digress. Still ended up with the win, so I suppose the lesson was learned with the least amount of repercussion.

The reel I’m using is a Daiwa SS Air, if that’s helpful. It’s a JDM-only model with listed capacity of 55 yards of 0.235mm line.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

10. Member
    I have a 6'9 dobyns sierra spinning rod for jerkbaits with tatula 3000 reel.

Drew - thanks so much! That is great information. Can’t wait to test mine out. And nice job pulling out the win even with the lost fish!

12. Member
    I made the switch to spinning rod for jerkbaits a few years back. Posted a few threads on it. Get yourself a Dobyns Colt spinning 693. Its $80 and is GREAT. I hear lotsa opens pros use the Colt 734 for spook rods. They have a little fiberglass in that rod series. I chose a spinning rod for jerkbaits to take some stress off my left wrist and use my right. Now, I switch back and forth depending on the day. I use 10-12 Flouro leader 10'-12'.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.