APEX BAD TRANSDUCER

I bought a new bay boat last spring and outfitted it with an APEX 19" HDSI/DI. The past few times I have been out on it the right side(starboard) side image is darker than the left side and does not seem to be reading as well. I thought maybe it was just the bottom but when I turn around and go back thru the same area in the opposite direction the picture on the left side reads the bottom that was dark just fine. It is nice and bright and clear and the right side is again dark where it was bright going the other way. Also the water temp is reading over 125 degrees so I know it isn't working. Is the transducer just going bad? Is the lifespan shorter on these larger models?

2. Member
    Anything can go bad. Call HB and tell them your story, they are usually very helpful
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    There is a SI Imaging Offset setting... While on a SI pane, press the upper left SI Menu area, scroll to the bottom and select SI Settings, then the setting is near the bottom of the options.

It will raise + or Lower - the strength of the left side of the SI return so that both are equal as you go down a shoreline with a deep drop-off. Make sure this setting hasn't been set to a minus number. The default is zero but it could have inadvertently been changed. If that isn't the case, then either the Apex or the transducer could have an issue.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member
    I had never come across that option! I would have assumed the transducer was not level to the water. That might be easier to do than mess with the transducer. I will have to try that out. Thanks. SI sensitivity offset.
    Last edited by bobcoy; 03-20-2023 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I had never come across that option! I would have assumed the transducer was not level to the water. That might be easier to do than mess with the transducer. I will have to try that out. Thanks. SI sensitivity offset.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Thanks I saw that in the Apex manual after looking it up. How long has that been an option? Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Thanks I saw that in the Apex manual after looking it up. How long has that been an option? Bob
    Several years prior to the APEX. May go back as far as when ONIX and SOLIX were compatible.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    So I don’t know everything? I guess I need to study harder. Thanks Wayne
    Looks like 2018 for sensitivity offset. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...yTtYzH6NYcQHsq
    Last edited by bobcoy; 03-20-2023 at 08:57 PM.

9. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Yea, SI Sensitivity Offset has been around a long time. Since my home lake is deep (up to 150') with steep banks, it really helps to keep a consistent brightness on both the shallow side and deep side when traveling parallel with a shoreline.

The other setting I use a lot is the Water Column Sensitivity. That one is a more recent addition to Solix but has been on Apex from day one. With it, you can really make things in the water column pop... or disappear.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

10. Member
    I never have issues seeing fish in open water trolling. On the dam end of the lake is well over 200’ I set my si range out till I see the bottom and back it off 20’ or so.(all open water). Contrast alone is enough to see fish. I tend to stop reading when I can do what I want.But I think that SI sensitvity offset might benefit to reach out on the left side when fishing closer to the right and peeking out deep with SI to look for open water cruisers. Something new to play with along with Mega Live.