Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MB Magdraft6 rod recommendations?

Decided to purchases a few 6" Magdrafts for my upcoming smallmouth season. I've viewed all the YouTube videos all mostly saying any MH/H jig or flipping stick will do or Orochi XX Perfect pitch is the ONE. Looking for dedicated rod for both 5 and 6" something with some length to bomb cast, open water no docks your usual pre-post spawn fishing 14/15lb flouro. Looking for something mod/fast eyeing a Expride 7'7" heavy or Poison Adrena 7'4" heavy, like to hear some recommendations from experience magdraft users. Thanks

FYI, my heaviest rod I own is NRX+ 873cr which is fine for 5 but not risking snapping tossing the 6.

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    You need a rod with a minimum 2 oz lure rating. I was using a Perfect Pitch until I got a P5 Tequila Baccarac (up to 4 oz). I much prefer the Tequila Baccarac. It's a pricey rod to be sure but I bought it to throw a variety of "big baits" in Texas and it does a really nice job of that but feels a bit overloaded with the 3+ oz 8" Magdraft.

A Tatula TTU731HRB-SB is a fairly popular swimbait rod and would be a less expensive option than the 2 rods you mentioned for the 6" Magdraft.

I use 20 lb fluoro and a 5.5:1 reel for Magdrafts.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Thanks, just watch Matt @tacticalbassin last spring use 7ft MH regular taper 12lb fluoro catching some nice smallies with the magdraft 6. Guess my 873crr could indeed handle that bait.

4. Member
    I use a G. Loomis E6X 884 C (7 foot 4) swimbait rod with a Conquest baitcaster for these kind of baits.

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phippy View Post
    Thanks, just watch Matt @tacticalbassin last spring use 7ft MH regular taper 12lb fluoro catching some nice smallies with the magdraft 6. Guess my 873crr could indeed handle that bait.
    Not sure what rod he was using but a 873CRR is rated to 3/4 oz. A 6" Magdraft weighs 1.25 oz. I'll go out on a limb and say you won't be doing any "bomb casts" with an 873CRR.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    I agree with BoatBuggy regarding the Megabass Tequila Baccarac being a great rod for the 6" Magdraft. However, it's a 7' rod and it sounds like you want something longer. I have no experience with this rod, but Ben at The HookUp Tackle has been singing the praises of the Megabass BMG being a phenomenal Magdraft rod. It's 7'5" so it offers more length than the TB.

7. Member
    That 7’4” poison adrena is perfect. I throw the magdraft a lot and on a lot of different rods. I actually prefer it over the tequila baccarat. That tequila is indeed a special rod, but it pulls full-time duty with a 6” burrito for me. For what it’s worth, I love throwing it on my first GEN perfect pitch, especially when target casting the freestyle rigged weedless around cover.
    -Matt

8. Scraps
    I don't think you need to have a super special rod to throw these. I use a Powell Endurance 765sbr, tagged as a swimbait rod and rated up to 3oz. I can't see throwing anything up to 3oz on this rod. I use it as an all around rod, both shallow and deep fishing, has a moderate taper. But I use it for throwing jigs, swim jigs, swimbaits, glides, big spinnerbaits in open water, etc.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I agree with BoatBuggy regarding the Megabass Tequila Baccarac being a great rod for the 6" Magdraft. However, it's a 7' rod and it sounds like you want something longer. I have no experience with this rod, but Ben at The HookUp Tackle has been singing the praises of the Megabass BMG being a phenomenal Magdraft rod. It's 7'5" so it offers more length than the TB.
    A bit hesitant with some of the breakage issues I had with US Destroyers and P5's but that BMG could be one. Its versatility from deep water jigs to swingheads gets my attention. But dam I promised myself no more MB rods. LOL

I was fishing the 6" Magdraft on the then new P5 BMG today. It's in the zone with a 6" Madgraft. Yes, the TB will get the job done, but it's shorter and "almost" too much rod for what I like when tossing a 6" Magdraft...

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    I was fishing the 6" Magdraft on the then new P5 BMG today. It's in the zone with a 6" Madgraft. Yes, the TB will get the job done, but it's shorter and "almost" too much rod for what I like when tossing a 6" Magdraft...

This.

12. Member
    I use the Megabass P5 Tequila Baccarac and the Megabass XXX Destruction.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I don't think you need to have a super special rod to throw these. I use a Powell Endurance 765sbr, tagged as a swimbait rod and rated up to 3oz. I can't see throwing anything up to 3oz on this rod. I use it as an all around rod, both shallow and deep fishing, has a moderate taper. But I use it for throwing jigs, swim jigs, swimbaits, glides, big spinnerbaits in open water, etc.
    This same rod is the Powell Max series looks to be a lot of rod for the moolah.

I have the 7'7" Expride A and it works great with the Magdraft. In the Spring I use the normal Magdraft up shallow. in the Summer I mostly fish the Freestyle on a 1 1/2 or 2 oz jighead and it bomb casts the Magdraft. It's also my A-rig rod in the Winter and my "Big" rod in the Summer...big worm, big jig, big scrounger, big spinnerbait,big paddle tail also Tiny Klash,small rats and glides. I have plenty of other swimbait rods that I could use but the 7'7" Expride is so versatile that it almost always has something tied on.
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

15. Member
    Thanks for all the feedback. Guess I'm prefer a rod that's almost at its limits with the magdraft6 but very capable and sensitive enough for 3/4oz swingheads and 1/2oz+ football jigs in 30fow+ in the summer. The Expride B 7'7" heavy is also on my radar.
    '

16. Member
    905 Conquest

17. Member
    Threw one yesterday on a Tatula Elite 7'1" Rod that was made for skipping jigs. Had the perfect tip action for underhand tossing that magdraft in tight spaces between bushes. Very pleased. You can look and find those rods for around $125.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phippy View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. Guess I'm prefer a rod that's almost at its limits with the magdraft6 but very capable and sensitive enough for 3/4oz swingheads and 1/2oz+ football jigs in 30fow+ in the summer. The Expride B 7'7" heavy is also on my radar.
    '
    If you are truly seeking rods that can meet these disparate fishing presentations and provide a high degree of sensitivity, I can recommend two rods from my JDM casting rod inventory.

Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare C71-MH Super Stallion GT2RS

• Perhaps the most flexible and capable JDM casting rod I own, fully capable of effortlessly presenting a 1.25oz Megabass MagDraft 6" of swimbait, a 3/4oz Ryugi Swinging TG Football head, and the sensitivity required to detect light bites when presenting 1/2oz OSP Hunts Football Jigs in deep water when the smallmouth bass move out onto expanse rock structures in search of crayfish in the summertime.

Evergreen Orion OCSC-71H+ Black Rose

• I have only had one season of fishing with the new EG Orion Black Rose, but my on-the-water experience points to this casting rod exceeding the already high degree of sensitivity found on the EG Super Stallion GT2RS and the true test of this rod will come later this year when Evergreen International debuts the new EG Super Stallion GT3RS casting rod. In short, the EG Orion Black Rose is lighter, more powerful, and more sensitive than the existing EG Super Stallion GT2RS rod model all at a price point that is typically ~$100 less than the older EG Super Stallion GT2RS casting rod.

Good luck with your rod search!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    Threw one yesterday on a Tatula Elite 7'1" Rod that was made for skipping jigs. Had the perfect tip action for underhand tossing that magdraft in tight spaces between bushes. Very pleased. You can look and find those rods for around $125.
    Glad you like It! I think you got a good deal
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    Glad you like It! I think you got a good deal
    Ha. Wait til my check bounces. Thanks for the easy transaction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast