Thread: AR upper builds

AR upper builds

I’ve got the itch to put together an AR upper in 204. It would be my first and I’m looking for any input y’all are willing to share.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

2. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar
    Regardless of what brands parts you decide to run, don't skimp on tools. The right punches, vice blocks, wrenches, etc will make the difference in putting together a dinged up piece of iron or a nice looking end result. Are you wanting to do a 100% build or just bolt complete upper and lowers together? What brands are you looking at?
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by cmclairday2 View Post
    Regardless of what brands parts you decide to run, don't skimp on tools. The right punches, vice blocks, wrenches, etc will make the difference in putting together a dinged up piece of iron or a nice looking end result. Are you wanting to do a 100% build or just bolt complete upper and lowers together? What brands are you looking at?
    I'm lacking in the tooling for sure which which would make the first build a little pricey. Only looking at upper build at the moment and then probably put a lower together at some point to have another complete piece. Open to recommendations on brands but so far I'm surfing Aero Precision and a few other sites. I'm probably going to have to have the barrel made since I've not found one available yet.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

Aero is great for the price and I'd recommend checking out the M4E1 lower when you get around to it. The last one I did was all Aero parts (with that lower) with the exception of a PSA premium lpk and bcg. Turned out nicely and has been a good shooter. Keep an eye on PSA for their daily deals. Brownells, Aim Surplus, Primary Arms are a few other sites I've ordered from and they've been great. Budget would largely determine other brand recommendations. The sky is the limit with these things and it's addictive.

A small thing that'll make life easier is a 1/4" clevis pin. It will come in handy when installing the takedown pin detents. That part can be a real pain otherwise and I launched a couple of detents into the stratosphere on my first build.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 481VSangler View Post
    Aero is great for the price and I'd recommend checking out the M4E1 lower when you get around to it. The last one I did was all Aero parts (with that lower) with the exception of a PSA premium lpk and bcg. Turned out nicely and has been a good shooter. Keep an eye on PSA for their daily deals. Brownells, Aim Surplus, Primary Arms are a few other sites I've ordered from and they've been great. Budget would largely determine other brand recommendations. The sky is the limit with these things and it's addictive.

A small thing that'll make life easier is a 1/4" clevis pin. It will come in handy when installing the takedown pin detents. That part can be a real pain otherwise and I launched a couple of detents into the stratosphere on my first build.
    HAHAHAHAHAH Those springs and detents im pretty sure are faster than these hypersonic missels I hear Russia has.

If you havent aready lookup FU kits. Come with the basic parts like detents springs and I think a couple other things that you can lose during builds. Pretty cheap as well.

As mentioned PSA can have some good deals. Ive built several lowers but have been wanting to get after an upper. Just been fooling with other stuff at the moment.

Tool wise harbor Freight is your friend.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    I'm lacking in the tooling for sure which which would make the first build a little pricey. Only looking at upper build at the moment and then probably put a lower together at some point to have another complete piece. Open to recommendations on brands but so far I'm surfing Aero Precision and a few other sites. I'm probably going to have to have the barrel made since I've not found one available yet.
    Check Wilson Combat for the barrel. Might not be the cheapest place around but I have two of their barrels (one in .204) and have been happy with them. I've found that even when listed as out of stock they are quick to tool up and make one when ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by SSComanche View Post
    Check Wilson Combat for the barrel. Might not be the cheapest place around but I have two of their barrels (one in .204) and have been happy with them. I've found that even when listed as out of stock they are quick to tool up and make one when ordered.
    Big fan of Wilson Combat parts. Currently have three of their barrels in use and all shoot great. Not terribly expensive either.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

I can't speak about the .204 but a have a few I put together of all Aero and some with Aero lowers with strike industries triggers and PSA uppers and all are good shooters.
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

9. Member
    I have a DPMS in a 204 with a heavy fluted barrel. It will shoot as good as I can hold it. Normally about 1/2” if the wind cooperates. Built it for prairie dogs and coyotes. Has killed many of each. It is pretty heavy so I don’t carry it far.

They are addictive for sure. YouTube is your friend and I found instructions and printed them off and makes it easy until you do a few. I honestly have not found a bad shooting barrel. Have built 204, 223, 350, 6.8. Have fun!

11. Member
    I would not have thought someone with the screenname Stoner would be on here asking these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I would not have thought someone with the screenname Stoner would be on here asking these questions.
    I guess thinking isn’t your strong suit!

For those that offered your thoughts I appreciate them. I can see Wilson and areo are going to get into my wallet
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

Lol^ i see it both ways but is an amusing large contrast between viewpoints

I think Transom was referencing the point that Eugene Stoner was the person that developed the AR15/M16 platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    I think Transom was referencing the point that Eugene Stoner was the person that developed the AR15/M16 platform.
    ^ lol apparently a third way to me then.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    Good point, my apologies to Transome just don’t always know what others are referencing.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

17. BBC SPONSOR
    I have a .204 with DPMS uppers with the stainless fluted bull barrel with mag pull lower. It is an awesome gun and a tack driver, but as Alanhore mentioned above, it's heavy to carry. It too has killed it's share of coyotes in several states. Mine likes the Hornady .32 grain bullets out of it. I also have a CZ bolt action that likes the .40 grain bullets better. The .204 is a fun little round to shoot and is wicked on coyotes and bobcats.