Adding/Extending Trim button

Several pros/boat YT vids lately showing either a 2nd trim button somewhere on the bow, or at miniumum an UP button... due to graphs blocking the oem button location.

The factory button is still there of course, and works. I assume they are just jumping wires off the oem switch to the new switch - but not sure how to do it. Blue Sea has a mometary switch both single (ie up only) and double (up and down) that would probably work fine, just need to understand how to make the connections to the main switch... I read in another post at the oem switch the connections would be red for power, blue for up/green for down (same as motor I guess). So could I just "jump" the blue and green to terminals on the additional momentary switch?

Yes. It could be as easy as replacing the spade connector on the existing wire with a piggy back spade connector on each wire you need to “jumper” to give you an attachment point.
    As for existing wiring, you should see a red wire on the common terminal of the switch, a blue (up) on one and a green (down) on the other. All three of these wires have to be jumped to the new switch. This places the new switch in parallel with the old one.

Edit: Duh - - I was not thinking clearly. Put the piggy back connector on the wire you are adding then you can jump it into the circuit without modifying any existing wiring.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 03-20-2023 at 05:52 AM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

I completed this the other day - still haven't picked up any piggyback connectors (they are not that common at places like HD, etc, so will have to order online I guess). But, since I had bow apart for some other things i basically just created some extension wires with spade connector for the three trim wires and moved the connection off the stock switch and ran them to a new switch that I can reach with my toe, mounted under my bow units... more of a test really than anything - nothing modified yet so I could set it all back to stock easily. But, I'll grab some piggybacks and incorporate the oem switch back into the circuit as well.

Well I tried/tested this out this weekend, and it works fine, but it sort of feels... fragile, for lack of a better work. Since I can't really see it unless I step back a bit, I'm just poking my foot up and going by feel. It almost feels like I could snap it off if not careful. May replace it with a step on type ie the Bobs Machine, but haven't decided.

<EDIT> I installed the Bob's foot trim button today, essentially the same type of unit you see from TH Marines, etc. Haven't decided where to mount it yet, so have it attached to the side of BBT bracket for now. Easy to reach with foot, and still have the factory switch wired in as well. But if I decide this is the one, then will likely screw it down to the deck next to the PP stomp button shown above.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 05-01-2023 at 12:42 PM.