Map card for Gen3 units

What is the best map card for the Gen3 units and will work in the newer live units too? Just bought a used boat with Gen3's and do not come with any maps other than whats installed in unit. Wondering which would be the best more detailed card to get that can be used in the current units and later use it when i upgrade units at some point.

2015 Ranger Z119c
    2017 Ranger Z520c
    2007 Ranger Z20
    2006 Ranger Z20

2. Member
    CMap Reveal is a great mapping with Shaded Relief.

https://www.c-map.com/chartexplorer/

You can look at the maps on here and also go to the here to verify which maps work with G3 units https://www.c-map.com/search-charts

Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    CMap Reveal is a great mapping with Shaded Relief.

https://www.c-map.com/chartexplorer/

You can look at the maps on here and also go to the here to verify which maps work with G3 units https://www.c-map.com/search-charts
    Thanks for the links and the C-Maps Reveal do work with the Gen3's but looking at the bottom link maps with shading in Louisiana and Texas don't seem to be as accurate as what I see from Navionics. I guess I can look at the Navionics Platinum Plus as it does the shading like the CMap. I see that CMap will sell chips for various states but didn't see one for Texas or Louisiana...just for N & S Carolina, Tenn, and Alabama.

2015 Ranger Z119c
    2017 Ranger Z520c
    2007 Ranger Z20
    2006 Ranger Z20

4. Member
    CMap has a far superior Depth Shading than Navionics. You buy a regional map from CMAP which includes the Precision data from the individual States. What does "Don't seem to be as accurate compared to Navionics" what does this mean? First there is no Depth Shading on the maps, Those are standard map colors that can be changed in your unit along with the Depth Shading. Does the Gen 3 even have shading available in the menu? It has presentation which is what the maps online show.

5. Member
    This shows Texas and Louisiana. US LAKES SOUTH CENTRAL. SKU: M-NA-Y215-MS |: REVEAL | SIZE: Lakes Regional
    Last edited by raven7usa; 03-21-2023 at 09:59 AM.
    2016 ZX250

6. Member
    Custom depth shading and contour shading are two different things. I do depth shading with my C-Map Reveal and download the contour shading for my Navionics Platinum for whatever area I fish the most.
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    CMap has a far superior Depth Shading than Navionics. You buy a regional map from CMAP which includes the Precision data from the individual States. What does "Don't seem to be as accurate compared to Navionics" what does this mean? First there is no Depth Shading on the maps, Those are standard map colors that can be changed in your unit along with the Depth Shading. Does the Gen 3 even have shading available in the menu? It has presentation which is what the maps online show.
    This is difference between the CMAP of a spot on Toledo Bend that I've fished many times and wore them out. I know relief shading is available on this lake with Navionics Platinum Plus chip just can't access it to get a snippet of this area. The Navionics is alot more accurate than the CMap contour wise as shown in this snippet. Now compare the contours which shows the correct contours on navionics but not so on CMap. I just can't compare the relief shading of the navionics.
    navionics.JPGcmap.JPG

2015 Ranger Z119c
    2017 Ranger Z520c
    2007 Ranger Z20
    2006 Ranger Z20

8. Member
    So, yes you are showing the Shaded Relief. The custom depth shading is where you set specific color for specific depths. Navionics does not have that feature. They both have Shaded Relief but it may be called different things between the two companies. I went through hell to get shaded relief on my Navioncis card. Eventually the tech and I wiped the card, we downloaded the mapping info, and then I was able to download the shaded relief for the region I wanted. It takes a LONG time to download so the smaller the area you select the easier. You can easily overwrite that data if you decide to go somewhere else. You do have to keep your subscription up to date to access that feature.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

i was trying to decide on whether to buy a used Navionics Platinum Plus of the south card that still has about 10 months of subscription left or go with the lesser navionics plus card. i'll probably get the platinum cuz he selling it a good cost. My cousin who fishes Toledo and Sam Rayburn all the time swears the Lakemaster chip is far superior but unfortunately i don't currently have birds. I'm also in need of SI, and DI as the previous boat owner did not have it, he only used 2D on his 12" and 7" gen3's.

2015 Ranger Z119c
    2017 Ranger Z520c
    2007 Ranger Z20
    2006 Ranger Z20