Thread: smartcraft

smartcraft

to start 2003 efi 225xl
    serial number 0t794507
    402 hours
    prop cant remember off hand

i have joined bbc board in hopes to get some help, on my issue with smartcraft guages.

Not sure how to add pictures unless i don't have enough posts yet

Issue is the tach works the speedo does not. The tach says fuel and oil fault. with that being said i can not get the fuel and oil level to show on my speed guage any longer. It does show fuel used
    and i believe mpg used.
    the tach itslef works w actual dial and didital in the lcd sceen. Speed does not show either way

any help or direction would be greatly appreciated

2. Member
    digital senders required for operation
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    have the boat now for quite sometime. has worked just as of last year its been an issue. the fuel sending unit and oil tank have power. the guage has worked flawlessly till of late as jist mentioned

4. Member
    not sure what issue could be. batteries are about 1.5 yrs old and i load tested and all check out

5. Member
    I get a oil fault on my '03 225 also. I tracked it down to the sender wiring at the tank. If i get it in the right position the guage will read. For your fuel issue try to remove the wire from the sender at the tank and ground it. See if the fuel goes to full or the fault goes away. If it does then the sender needs servicing. Batteries shouldn't cause this issue.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

6. Member
    so i should look at the wires on oil and fuel tanks to see if the issues lie there, or at a harness or motor side. sorry to aound dumb... i we have some electrical knowledge but better to be sure then not.

thank you for the reply

7. Member
    Yes, both sensors are subject to vibration and wear on the sensor pads themselves. A quick test is to disconnect the wire and ground it. For the oil tank you can also disconnect the wires at the connectors and short them together on the boat side. If the error goes away then you will know your sensors are the issue. I highly doubt it will be the boat wiring itself unless you've had some damage or added something and put a screw through the wiring harness. JMO
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

8. Member
    got it. thanks again. will try this and get back with results.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You shouldn't be checking for "power" at your senders. Especially since these would be 5V (rather than 12V) sensors.

Let's start with something basic- can you verify that the Tachometer is plugged into the TACHOMETER harness, and that the Speedo is plugged into the SPEEDO harness?

Also- please check that the harnesses have GAUGE END and Junction Box End in the correct orientation. It DOES make a difference.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Hi Don and thank you for replying. I've had the boat since 2010 used. All systems worked as they should since roughly around last year. Tach is plugged correctly and junction box. We haven't touched removed or added the system. It came with the boat. Yhe tach works as it should. It shows in digital screen fuel and oil fault. Speedometer does not show speed fuel and oil percentage. It does show fuel used and gph. Hope this helps

Enzo

11. Member
    Also no manuals came with boat regarding the smartcraft guages.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You might want to check the remote (boat) oil tank for two wires- one goes to a harness, the other likely goes to battery ground. The orientation of this cap is extremely critical- make sure it matches the below image:

Here's a link to the manual for your System Tach & Speed (from Mercury's Website): System Tach & Speed, V6.0 and Below

Attached Images Attached Images

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    thanks again. will that cause both issues with fuel and oil or just oil. as for tank its exactly as picture shows. never touched other then to fill

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It would cause oil (only).

If the oil/fuel harness were not properly connected to the engine (specifically the pink w/black stripe, blue with black stripe, and possibly the black w/orange stripe) it would affect BOTH.

Another item that would affect both is if someone held down buttons and entered the calibration settings (and altered settings while tinkering around in there).

15. Member
    okay. will read manual and go from there

16. Member
    So problem has been solved. apparently i must of broke a wire on the plug that is spliced to all 3 sensore. Removed pin solder both sides replaced and plugged back in. All is back to normal. Thanks to everyone that replied with help

Twin 200 2005 Mercury Optimax Engines
    1B191661
    1B160290

18. Member
    Double Trouble. i have been after this for a year. ready to dump money at everything. We Just needed to trust ourselves and take the time to look things over a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gailwarning View Post
    Double Trouble. i have been after this for a year. ready to dump money at everything. We Just needed to trust ourselves and take the time to look things over a few times.
    Happy you found the problem without throwing to much money at it.I am the guy that recommended you to come here the info you can get here is priceless.
    Twin 200 2005 Mercury Optimax Engines
    1B191661
    1B160290

20. Member
    ��