ultrex steering asist motor

Any one know of a source for the steering asist motor. buying a complete steering module does not make much sense to me if you have bad motor
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I checked Trollingmotorparts.com and eBay and did not find a listing for Ultrex. I wonder if a Terrova motor is the same?

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I checked Trollingmotorparts.com and eBay and did not find a listing for Ultrex. I wonder if a Terrova motor is the same?
    The whole Ultrex assembly is listed on trollingmotorparts.com but it's a chore chasing the menus around to get to it.
    Minn Kota Ultrex Steering Motor Housing - Trollingmotorparts.com
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    You will wate more time looking for a motor then it will take you to buy a whole unit and install it. If ou ad touble with the steer motor you may have blown the main board too

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    You will wate more time looking for a motor then it will take you to buy a whole unit and install it. If ou ad touble with the steer motor you may have blown the main board too
    I suspect a problem with brushes or armature. Sometimes the pedal locks motor will not turn ,even with the remote, reach down and turn the head a little and it returns to normal operation. Last two trips out happened once each time, a month ago happened several times in one day. Can not duplicate this in the shop to accurately diagnose.
    Not real happy with this motor, has not had heavy use by any means. In three years it has had a complete lower replaced, two steering sensors (has the updated one now) and one control board.
    A cost of a thousand dollars a year including purchase price is insane for a trolling motor, about ready to go back to old motor guides that I never had failures of any kind.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    You will have to buy a complete steering module. No parts are available. Fix it asap and don’t use it till you do. Put 3amp fuses in the leads to it to prevent control board failure in the future if you don’t have it already. The plastic gears in the module wear and cause a high amp draw from the steering module mtr. When this happens it blows the control board with it. Place in Michigan sells the brand new module for around 300 I believe. If you don’t fix it now you will be paying around 600 to get it going again IF you can do it yourself. I say if cause some aren’t mechanically inclined.

7. Member
    Always have a back up trolling motor so you can still fish thats why I have 112 ultrex/fortrex both completely rebuilt.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    I suspect a problem with brushes or armature. Sometimes the pedal locks motor will not turn ,even with the remote, reach down and turn the head a little and it returns to normal operation. Last two trips out happened once each time, a month ago happened several times in one day. Can not duplicate this in the shop to accurately diagnose.
    Not real happy with this motor, has not had heavy use by any means. In three years it has had a complete lower replaced, two steering sensors (has the updated one now) and one control board.
    A cost of a thousand dollars a year including purchase price is insane for a trolling motor, about ready to go back to old motor guides that I never had failures of any kind.
    Mine did this. Once in a while it would lock up. It was the small wire that goes to the motor. I soldered a new wire on the motor to the plug under the trap door and it has been good.

9. Member
    Open the small trap door and get the plug connector out. Wiggle the plug around and you may be able to duplicate what is going on. Mine would lock up once a day and I could wiggle the large wiring harness going into the motor and it would start working. It got worse and worse. Finally I took it apart and changed the wire and plug about a year ago and it hasn't done it since.