Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Any issues with running 2 transducers?

I know this might be an odd question, but let me explain. I recently bought a boat and am in the process of updating it. To that end I bought an HDS live with the 3 in 1 transducer. I had already pulled the wire for the transducer to the console when I ran across a really good deal on a 3D bundle that was new in box for less than half of what they cost new. I really don't think I can pull the 3 in 1 plug back through the wire run, as it was really tight going through, so I thought, why not just mount both, flush under the step. In my mind that would give me the range and power of the 3D transducer for deep water and covering large areas quickly, and then I could switch to the 3 in 1 when the 800 freq might come in handy. Would there be any issues with running this way? Its a Ranger 492vs and my plan was to use stern savers under the step to flush mount both with about a 10-12" gap between them. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    I have 4
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Member
    My Question how do you mount 2 SI transducer that will not block ea other?

4. Member
    Two differant brands?
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

5. Member
    I have a 3n1 on jackplate, I would assume you could mount one on other side of jackplate with no issues. I have a 3n1 on jackplate, a glassed in one, A SI and active target on trolling motor
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    I have a 3n1 on jackplate, I would assume you could mount one on other side of jackplate with no issues. I have a 3n1 on jackplate, a glassed in one, A SI and active target on trolling motor

If I am reading the ops question he wants to mount 2 Side Image transducer AI 3-1 and 3DSS Never work on the jack plate both of them One on the jack plate 3-1 and 3DSS on the bottom of the hull assume he has a ranger where the factory mounts those anyway. There is no way to mount 2 on the transom without blocking the side image on both transducers. You could mount them end to end underneath if there is room I could never bring myself to drill that many holes in a boat but that is me.

7. Member
    If you thought pulling the 3n1 cable in was tight wait until you pull the 2 ended 3D cable thru the boat. You can run both transducers without any problems. I have the SS3D mounted on the bottom of my jackplate and have a 3N1 mounted on the right side of the transom with a stick on mounting pad and it’s works great. I was concerned about the stick on mounting pad but it’s solid and sturdy. I don’t get any interference between the 2 transducers.

8. Member
    I have seen them work myself, but the holes
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    I have seen them work myself, but the holes
    No need for more holes, this is what I used and it’s been fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Stern-Pad-Scr...%2C129&sr=8-25

10. Member
    Nice
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

11. Member
    I appreciate all the responses. That's exactly what I think Im going to do. Had not seen that stick on solution, but I really like it. I was looking at something they have on Amazon called stern saver. More of an epoxy adhesive where the star board gets epoxy'd to the hull and then you drill into that instead of the hull. I hate putting holes in my boat too. Im mounting the Structurescan 3D box in the aft drivers side compartment, so I won't have to pull it at all. Ill just pop through from the battery area. Probably going to run dedicated power to it as well. Really appreciate the feedback. Gives me some confidence that this might actually work really well. I had 3D on my last boat and loved it. Ive heard the 3-in-1 has gotten better, but I tend to stick with things I trust. This way I can play with both and see how they look head to head.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    My Question how do you mount 2 SI transducer that will not block ea other?
    Typically on opposite sides of the transom.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarmstrong View Post
    I appreciate all the responses. That's exactly what I think Im going to do. Had not seen that stick on solution, but I really like it. I was looking at something they have on Amazon called stern saver. More of an epoxy adhesive where the star board gets epoxy'd to the hull and then you drill into that instead of the hull. I hate putting holes in my boat too. Im mounting the Structurescan 3D box in the aft drivers side compartment, so I won't have to pull it at all. I’ll just pop through from the battery area. Probably going to run dedicated power to it as well. Really appreciate the feedback. Gives me some confidence that this might actually work really well. I had 3D on my last boat and loved it. Ive heard the 3-in-1 has gotten better, but I tend to stick with things I trust. This way I can play with both and see how they look head to head.

Which ever stern pad you decide to go with, clean the area well, stick it, let it sit 24-48hrs to cure, go around the edge where the pad meets the transom with some silicone all the way around it so it will keep as much water from the stickem part itself for a extra sealant step and you will be good to go. When you go to stick it where you want it, keep it 12-18 inches apart from your 2nd transducer and try to keep both transducer even horizontally.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Typically on opposite sides of the transom.
    With the rise of the bass boat that rise will block the inside of both transducers. I have never seen a bass boat with 2 Side Image transducers that ever worked. If the OP is mounting 2 Side Image transducers on those glue on transom savers no matter how far apart they are they are in the same line so ea Side Image will block the other and you will not have a complete side image from either transducer. Anyone who says different I would like to see a diagram of how its not going to block. If it could be done I would do it but I am not ready to give up my 3D SS at least yet that could change but one will come off for the other when its time.

With the rise of the bass boat that rise will block the inside of both transducers. I have never seen a bass boat with 2 Side Image transducers that ever worked. If the OP is mounting 2 Side Image transducers on those glue on transom savers no matter how far apart they are they are in the same line so ea Side Image will block the other and you will not have a complete side image from either transducer. Anyone who says different I would like to see a diagram of how its not going to block. If it could be done I would do it but I am not ready to give up my 3D SS at least yet that could change but one will come off for the other when its time.
    Ditto on 3DSS
    2012 Stratos 294 Evolution, Mercury 200 PROXS (1B933452)// HDS live 12, HDS Pro 10 with AT 1, HDS Carbon 12 with SS3D, point 1, sonichub2, Lowrance Ghost, and 3 Ionic lithium batteries.

16. Member
    So the SI transducers shoot straight out to the side? How does the signal ever hit the bottom of it shoots straight out? I would think the design would have the SI signal shooting out and down a few degrees??

17. Member
    I’m no pro at any of this just like all of us on here but mine has been setup like this for over a year now and it’s worked fine. I am going to the lake this Thursday to try to get some bites and I will take a few minutes to take some photos and record video on my phone of some side scanning using each transducer and will even do separate ones on both console units. Back at the end of 2021 I removed my SS3D setup and put the 3N1 on the jackplate and I put the stern pad on for a Humminbird setup I got just to try out to compare the mega imagining to the lowrance. I had a helix 12g4 and the transducer that comes with it. I ran it for not quite a year and never saw that it was that much better so I removed it, sold it and relocated my 3n1 transducer to the pad and put my SS3D setup back on under the jackplate where it was from the beginning. I wasn’t overly impressed with the mega imaging at all, the 800 freq showed as good and some things even better. I still mostly use the 3d for my scanning source.

Here is how both of mine are done. I didn’t take a side pic but they are staggered a few inches front to back due to the jackplate mount being centered or towards the back a little and not flush against the transom.

F4DD684D-70E6-4C9F-BF12-E1EC8E2B4915.jpeg
    Last edited by Sleepy111; 03-20-2023 at 09:13 PM.

18. Member
    I was looking thru some pics and I found some that I had taken to show the difference between the lowrance and the Humminbird and these images where done with the transducer in the locations they are just as I showed in my previous post. Lowrance on the left below and the bird is to the right. I know those are down pics but the bottom one is a side scan, can’t find a bird side scan shot.

I have a sidescan video but don’t know how or can’t get it to post on here.

Attachment 517629 Attachment 517630

A0EE412A-1CC2-4B7E-A71B-A6129CAEC899.jpeg
    Last edited by Sleepy111; 03-20-2023 at 09:33 PM.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    So the SI transducers shoot straight out to the side? How does the signal ever hit the bottom of it shoots straight out? I would think the design would have the SI signal shooting out and down a few degrees??
    Nobody said they do shoot out straight, You don't think those signals will cross in the water.

20. Member
    034743D1-EF9D-485A-962E-49ABADFAD2B9.jpeg

I use the middle one on the JP, I have no blockage from the lss1, that’s on the right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast