Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skeeter ZX200 ride

I’ve been looking at the zx200 bass rigs and had a salesman actually tell me that the zx200 is the only new model that a customer actually turned down after the ride, customer thought the ride should be smoother and would lightly porpoise at low on plane speeds, now I don’t know anything about the setup or the person driving the boat but I assumed that they had a dealer in the boat trying to diagnose the issue….. anyone got any knowledge of this issue with the zx200 model… 200 sho on back…. Why the salesman told me this I’m not sure unless they didn’t want another ordered boat turned down before the paperwork was done and was trying to get me to order another model, they were really pushing the zxr model while I was there..

2. Scraps
    Definitely need some real world feedback. Never ridden in one but assuming the ride is not bad and they may have been trying to push you to the new screen which………is the absolute BEST riding 19er on the market!
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    I can’t speak to that exact model but quite a few Skeeters are known to porpoise a little at low plane speeds. It’s also easy to learn to drive/trim out of with a little practice.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I can’t speak to that exact model but quite a few Skeeters are known to porpoise a little at low plane speeds. It’s also easy to learn to drive/trim out of with a little practice.
    Exactly

5. Member
    I'm running a 2020 ZX 200. Ran a 2002 before that. Ran it for 18 years before I wrecked it. Loved it. They are 19'-5 boats. Never going to ride like a 21 footer. That said, it's a great boat. All boats have their own unique handling styles, a lot depending on how it's loaded and how it's driven. Skeeters no different. I don't have an issue with porpoising. That's why boats have power trim.

Maybe that particular boat had an issue. A competent dealer would know the difference between an inexperienced driver and boat that had a problem.

I'd buy another ZX200 tomorrow. If a 19'-5 boat suits your needs, go for it.

Standard Rant:

There is no such thing as a good riding bass boat. Just bad riding bass boats, and real bad riding bass boats.

I have a 2011 and love it. Yes it does porpoise at low speed but a little blip of the throttle will get it back up on plain. The ride is smooth and it handles great. That being said I don't try to run on top of big waves but easy to surf them. I have zero complaints.

---------------------------------------
    2011 Skeeter ZX200 w/SHO 200.

7. Member
    I got a 1998 zx202 and I will porpoise a little at slower speeds. Honestly it’s no big deal at all though to me.

8. Member
    Ride is all in the eye of the beholder and the driver behind the wheel. What is a good ride for one person could be terrible for the other. I could give you a ride in my zxr20 in 3 footers that would beat you to death and then go back out and give you a ride that would make you think it was the holy grail of boats based on the first ride.

9. Member
    Porpoising is no big deal, heck mine has zero hook in hull, I have no trouble
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

10. Member
    My 2018 ZX200 was stable but did take a little tweaking of the jack plate height to stop the bouncing. The best thing about the ZX models is the fact that you can take your hand off the wheel at pretty much any speed and water conditions and the boat will always track straight.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

My tournament partner has a pretty new ZX200. We have used it quite a bit. Damn nice boat and rides just fine. 8ve never felt limited in it in any way or that it was a subpar ridem we have fished several tournaments out of it. It's been a lucky boat. He as well as we have done well fishing out of it.

12. Member
    I watch skeeters porpoising all over the lakes I fish every time. It’s pretty funny. I don’t blame the boats though. I think too many people have no idea how to drive them.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    I watch skeeters porpoising all over the lakes I fish every time. It’s pretty funny. I don’t blame the boats though. I think too many people have no idea how to drive them.
    I like to make my skeeter porpoise when I pass buy tin boats. It like to watch their owners hold on when the wake hits their little tin boats.

hey…wait….was the owner of the skeeter porpoising laughing? It might have been me.

14. Member
    I had a 2017 that I sold recently because I was never thrilled by the ride. It was fine on smooth days but if you were in chop it was more of a thud instead of a softer landing. I had a Caracal before and got spoiled by the ride. Recently purchased a ZX250 and very happy with the ride.

15. Member
    The ole Skeeter Slap

16. Member
    I have a 2020 zx200. Rides fine. Not 21ft fine but good. It fishes as good or better than many other boats I’ve owned.

17. Member
    say goodbye to your kidneys if you buy a Skeeter !…

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper920 View Post
    I mean seriously!
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper920 View Post
    More lake say goodbye to your kidneys if you buy a bassboat and the wind blow 30.

20. Member
    Yep, once that wind gets up and the waves get big, your kidneys will suffer no matter what brand you drive.

It's 90% driver as to how bad the pain is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast