Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    Trolling motor batteries made more since to me. I had 2 traditional batteries go out about the same time. They were going to be $350 each to replace and were 4yrs old. I bought 1 36v Impulse lithium, new charger and charge on the run charger for less than $1500. It wasnt “cheaper” but it took right at 200lbs out if my boat (new chargers are much smaller and lighter also) which improved my holeshot AND fuel mileage. So far I like everything about how its went changing over.
    are you really that easily fooled??????

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

2. Member
    I bought 2 100ah trollers and a 125ah starter from ionic. 2k I think? To replace what I had was gonna be 1000. So twice cost, more warranty, lighter, bluetooth. Can fish days without needing charge. Im on 6 months and so far so good.

3. Member
    A 10 year warranty means absolutely NOTHING, unless the company that offers it is still in business.

4. Banned
    I can buy several batteries for the price of one lithium and on the fence about them now myself. I also get the longer time between charges but who can't charge between fishing days? And just how often does your battery go dead on the water? Is it really that big of deal? I get the weight thing also but I rather kick out my partner or dump a bunch of unneeded gear than to spend 2K plus! How many batteries do you buy in 10 years? The money does not compute Will!

will.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by morrcat33 View Post
    A 10 year warranty means absolutely NOTHING, unless the company that offers it is still in business.
    Also a lot of people don't keep a boat 10 years. Even if you swap them into a new boat you might still end up having to buy a set of conventionals to sell with the boat.

6. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    some of you guys are seriously inflating your prices of conventional batteries,,

if ya like lithium that is great but don't try to snow job numbers to those investigating just to make yourself feel better
    you can buy 12v deep cycle conventional batteries all day long for 150 or less,, mine are going on their 5th year and as of now are just dandy..

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

7. Member
    Initially, the price vs what I get out of lead was my concern, but I also do not have a heated garage. Keep boat covered outside. From what I have been reading when the temperature drops below 34*-36*, they won't charge. Can anyone share first hand experience with this?

8. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    I can buy several batteries for the price of one lithium and on the fence about them now myself. I also get the longer time between charges but who can't charge between fishing days? And just how often does your battery go dead on the water? Is it really that big of deal? I get the weight thing also but I rather kick out my partner or dump a bunch of unneeded gear than to spend 2K plus! How many batteries do you buy in 10 years? The money does not compute Will!
    yea that 1 mile an hour will cost em hundreds of thousands,,,,

You can find lots of people that have never used lithium batteries trying to justify not buying them.

Extremely rare to find an example where a buyer is regretting the purchase.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post
    Seems an all out swap from lead acid/agm ,,, to all lithium would be less headache and work , compared to just lithium for a cranking battery or just lithium for troll motor.

Doing one or the other would require two different chargers, right?

I have a 4 bank onboard charger.
    My troll motor batteries are begging to be changed out.
    If I were to go lithium for the 36v troll motor, I’d have to add another charger and be left with my 4 bank onboard charger and an agm cranking battery.

How do y’all mix and match this crap without a bilge compartment cluster.
    Newer chargers (like Noco) you can set each bank to whatever type you want to charge. There are settings for lead acid, AGM, and lithium on each bank. So no issue to mix types.
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

11. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    You can find lots of people that have never used lithium batteries trying to justify not buying them.

Extremely rare to find and example where a buyer is regretting the purchase.
    also extremely rare for someone that seriously over pays for something new and exciting to say "wish I hadn't done that"
    you know, like the people that bought the first VCR's

12. Member
    I went with 3 100 AH Ionics for my troller 2 years ago. I also bought a charger that will charge lithium and wet cell. I'm running 3 lithiums and 2 wet cell. I'm satisfied. Deep cycle wet cell batteries in the $150 price range only last me 2 years. The lithiums cost a good chunk up front but I think the pricing is competitive with wet cell on average. When my X2 craps I will replace it with Lithium. Same for my wet cell for my electronics. I think the market price has adjusted for the most part and prices won't be dropping much IMO. The weight savings for me is noticeable.
    GETFISHED !!!

13. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Best decision I've made. I have Ionics, two 125ah parallel for cranking and electronics and three 100ah for the Ultrex.

I had five X2 31 series AGM's before and I would get below 12v before the end of the day with my setup. With the Ionics I can go almost two days straight without charging and not go below 12.4v.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

14. Member
    Just keep in mind that lead has not been mined in this country in many years. That means that the quality of our current lead acid batteries will not improve on quality and will probably suffer in the coming years. Hopefully the quality of the lithium batteries improves in that time.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    also extremely rare for someone that seriously over pays for something new and exciting to say "wish I hadn't done that"
    you know, like the people that bought the first VCR's
    Maybe you're not honest with yourself. However, I am. The time to buy lithium batteries is now, just as it was five years ago.

All I know is that I bought new deep cycles for my boat every 3 years. They always gave up the ghost in the middle of the afternoon of some fishing trip, and after pulling the boat, a 35-mile trip to buy new ones was in order.

Lithiums for about $1500 in 2018, they're still going strong as they ever were, and the user profile is way better than lead acid batteries. One more season, and the investment will break even. I have no doubt it will happen.

You do the math, and while you're at it, figure out why those electric vehicles you rave about use lithium batteries and not lead acid batteries.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post
    Seems an all out swap from lead acid/agm ,,, to all lithium would be less headache and work , compared to just lithium for a cranking battery or just lithium for troll motor.

Doing one or the other would require two different chargers, right?

I have a 4 bank onboard charger.
    My troll motor batteries are begging to be changed out.
    If I were to go lithium for the 36v troll motor, I’d have to add another charger and be left with my 4 bank onboard charger and an agm cranking battery.

How do y’all mix and match this crap without a bilge compartment cluster.

Exactly my scenario. Loose the 4 bank. Go to 1 charger and a charge on the run and 1 36v lithium and your done. Took me 30 mins to change out. Call Bill at Impulse he will explain. GREAT customer service. And sell your 4 bank to someone that needs it and recover some money if you want. My TM has more power. Boat has more hole shot. Picked up a lil top end too. Or buy three new batteries.

17. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    Its not being fooled. Its the price of the batteries I wanted if I stayed with traditional batteries. Got tired of replacing them. Same batteries that were going out again…. Clearly you are not a lithium fan. Hope the best for you.
    actually I have zero issues with lithium,, I think they are great batteries but don't try to make your case by trying to fool people by being made to believe a good conventional battery will cost 350 bucks.. if you were gonna spend 350 because they were the "I wanted" then that's on you,, there are options out there for most people..

18. Member
    My old gambler (wish I still had it) actually ran a little slow and porpoised a lot more when I went to lithium trolling batteries. Recharge time was impressive though.

19. Member
    I have a john boat and a bass boat that I just swap out the 36 volt lithium trolling motor battery purchased from monster marine and was actually cheaper then buying 6 sams 31 agms or x2's. Sure as heck was not going to swap out those batteries to either boat if only purchased 3.

20. Member
    Not until I understand the mining and supply chain impacts.
    Sam

2022 Falcon F20 TE Hybrid - 250 Mercury Pro XS
    Not a pro - barely an average Joe!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast