Installing Ghost and Lowrance Graphs...

I switched from an Ultrex and Humminbird graphs to a Ghost and all Lowrance Graphs. The Ghost came with a puck, but I also have a Lowrance Point-1 GPS/Heading Antenna. So, two pucks. I've read a little that I need to install both of these pucks, but it was an old post. Do I need to install both pucks to get the most out of my Ghost and Lowrance electronic units? Up at the bow I have an HDS 12 Live and a Elite 9 with Active Target. At the console I have an HDS Live 12. I'll be setting the network up in the next couple days, but for now just need to know if I need to install both pucks and where would be the ideal place for the puck that comes with the ghost and where would be the ideal place for the Lowrance Point-1 GPS/Heading Antenna puck. Thank you.

2. Member
    Those pucks are different and you have to install both.

The Ghosts pick needs to be near the ghost. The installation instructions provide the details on where. Mine is a few inches behind the base.

The point 1 can be anywhere, but it’s common to mount it near the console unit. Mine is mounted near the starboard gunwale, right behind the driver seat. That way it’s close to the console unit where I’m more often marking waypoints.

Good luck

3. Member
    As mentioned both need to be installed. In a perfect world mount the point-1 closest to the transducer which is used most frequently when prospecting and marking waypoints. The depth and structure which we may wish to identify with a waypoint is most accurately recorded when the transducer and gps antenna are close to each other. This of course is starting to split hairs but the length of a boat could be the difference of catching fish or cleaning lures. There are a number of systems that incorporate a point-1 at the bow near the tm transducer and another mounted at the stern.

The ghost can't use a point one?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tr196 View Post
    Those pucks are different and you have to install both.

The Ghosts pick needs to be near the ghost. The installation instructions provide the details on where. Mine is a few inches behind the base.

The point 1 can be anywhere, but it’s common to mount it near the console unit. Mine is mounted near the starboard gunwale, right behind the driver seat. That way it’s close to the console unit where I’m more often marking waypoints.

Good luck
    Thanks!

6. Member
    The Point-1 isn't needed for the Ghost, I wouldn't be without it though.
    Last edited by mikeky; 03-19-2023 at 02:16 PM.

7. Member
    The Ghost cannot use the Point 1 as a heading sensor. It comes with its own called the TMC-1; Trolling Motor Compass. Only needed if you utilize the jog feature while in Anchor Mode. The actual GPS receiver is in the head of the motor.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Point -1 need to be as close to the rear transducer as possible without getting Magnetic inference from the engine so that you will be more ACCURATE with Waypoints.

9. Member
    I'll probably mount the Point-1 right behind and on the side of my seat at the console. And, I'll mount the TMC puck probably right where I used to have my puck for my ultrex (on the carpet tight up against the nose fiberglass). Thanks.

10. Member
    Worth the read before you mount your Point-1:
    How a Point-1 Can Help You
    https://storage.westernbass.com/mag_...ge6/index.html
    ciao,
    Marc

11. Member
    The Ghost puck...TMC-1 (trolling motor compas) is for the GPS inside the Ghost. It is the only thing that tells the Ghost where to anchor at. That is all it is used for.

12. Member
    This not correct. The TMC-1 is not used for Anchoring. Try it without the TMC-1 connected. It will Anchor Lock fine as the actual GPS and waypoint memory are in the head of the Ghost. The TMC-1 is only used for the jog feature while anchored. If you never use Jog, the TMC-1 is not even needed. However, Jog can be useful in certain situations.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

13. Member
    There are several advantages to the point 1. I would recommend finding a mounting location as close to your rear transducer as possible. You can then set your unit at the console to use it for GPS lcoation and compass bearing. On your units at the bow you can set them to use their internal GPS for location and the point 1 for only compass bearing. This will give more accuracy to your waypoints at the rear of your boat. Think how far your point 1 or console unit install location is from the rear transdcuer. That is how far off your waypoints are from what you actually set a waypoint on.