Another RT188 Trailer failure

Well, here’s another failure. The bow roller bracket on my RT188 trailer broke completely off, both sides in the same location. Upon inspection it showed to have been cracked for some time and finally broke off while loading.
    Based on the location of the break, I felt welding was not the best option. In order to strengthen the bracket, I bolted a 2 1/2 X 1 1/2 X 1/4 HRS Angle on each side with grade 8 bolts.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

2. Member
    Do you drive the boat up onto the trailer ? If so, maybe that puts to much shock into the bracket.
    Last edited by Avanti; 03-19-2023 at 12:54 PM.

3. Member
    Yes, it is a poor design. Mine bent a couple years ago and they sent me a new one under warranty. I kept the old one and thought about welding some plates on it and keeping it as a spare. If the trailers were truly Rangertrail and not EZ Loader we may not have had these issues.
    2018 Ranger RT188 Custom Jet
    150/105 Evinrude ETEC Jet

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
    Do you drive the boat up onto the trailer ? If so, maybe that puts too much shock into the bracket.
    Don’t take this the wrong way , but who the heck doesn’t drive their boat on the trailer ?
    2021 rt188p , Mercury 115 Pro XS CT , Croxton Razor 4XLR 22 , Z lock 4” jack plate , 8’ power pole blades

Quote Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
    Do you drive the boat up onto the trailer ? If so, maybe that puts to much shock into the bracket.
    Yes - - I know there are areas where power loading is not allowed but in my world, it is the only way. I launch in all sorts of ramps, some pretty primitive but nothing different than previous boats.
    However, I drove BassCats for 25 years and they make great trailers.

6. Member
    I replaced mine under warranty a few years ago.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeintheshade View Post
    Don’t take this the wrong way , but who the heck doesn’t drive their boat on the trailer ?
    Yes, definitely an incomplete thought. I idle into my trailer which is driving onto it. But slamming the boat up until it bangs the stop is what I meant.

8. Member
    I think driving the boat all the way up and ramming the brace is a mistake and causes problems. I do drive my RT up on the trailer and get it close to the rubber stop BUT I do not ram it home into it. I do not think it is made for that. I crank it up the last 4 or 5 inches. I think that is easier on my equipment.

I back the trailer in too far to wet the bunks, then pull up a little, then drive the boat up close, then crank it the rest of the way. Sometimes I have to back the truck up another foot or so to float the boat better to crank easier.

I have never broken my trailer doing it this way. This is not a $8000 BassCat trailer. All you have to do is look at it and you can tell it is not made to be ramming something into it. I have used mine on a lot of ramps and unimproved ramps and steep ramps in Florida. My trailer has done great. I am just considerate of how to treat it.
    Last edited by FloridaFlyer; 03-19-2023 at 09:49 PM.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    I think driving the boat all the way up and ramming the brace is a mistake and causes problems. I do drive my RT up on the trailer and get it close to the rubber stop BUT I do not ram it home into it. I do not think it is made for that. I crank it up the last 4 or 5 inches. I think that is easier on my equipment.

I back the trailer in too far to wet the bunks, then pull up a little, then drive the boat up close, then crank it the rest of the way. Sometimes I have to back the truck up another foot or so to float the boat better to crank easier.

I have never broken my trailer doing it this way. This is not a $8000 BassCat trailer. All you have to do is look at it and you can tell it is not made to be ramming something into it. I have used mine on a lot of ramps and unimproved ramps and steep ramps in Florida. My trailer has done great. I am just considerate of how to treat it.
    If I ram the boat eye against the bow roller it is unintentional. It happens sometimes, but it is because of some condition I have to deal with and I cringe when it happens. The majority of the time I winch the last few inches.
    There have been many complaints about the winch post in the relatively short history of this trailer, but mine will not break again.

This is my second Ranger Trailer, and is much better designed than the 2014 it replaced, even the part that broke. It was made by EZ-Loader during that short time frame when they were making trailers under contract. I doubt that is pertinent though, as it was made to Ranger specs.

10. Member
    Pretty much just seems is not a matter of if, but when it's going to happen to you, then you get to answer the repeated question of how you broke it. If you've read any of Bill's threads over the many years he's been here, you'll know he takes care of his stuff. I take of my boat. It's a 2016 and my winch stand broke. I beefed mine up, but expect the area where the bow roller bolts to is the next failure point. When/if that happens, I'll be posting pics of the beefiest custom build 188 winch stand you've ever seen.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

11. Member
    Bill I’ve have a 2016 RT188 I bought new. I’ve had my winch stand break at the base and had to replace the springs. I repaired the winch stand and installed a Drotto automatic hitch. I really like the hitch. I always try to be as easy as possible loading as I’m sure you do. I’m also careful to not travel with any more gas in the tank than needed and never with water in the live wells. These trailers have a know history of these failures. I appreciate your upgrade and repair posts. That being said folks just watch for cracks on your winch stand and keep an eye on clearance between the tire and fender. I noticed where the tire had rubbed the bolt head holding the fender on. The springs where losing their arch.

Quote Originally Posted by Snagged View Post
    Bill I’ve have a 2016 RT188 I bought new. I’ve had my winch stand break at the base and had to replace the springs. I repaired the winch stand and installed a Drotto automatic hitch. I really like the hitch. I always try to be as easy as possible loading as I’m sure you do. I’m also careful to not travel with any more gas in the tank than needed and never with water in the live wells. These trailers have a know history of these failures. I appreciate your upgrade and repair posts. That being said folks just watch for cracks on your winch stand and keep an eye on clearance between the tire and fender. I noticed where the tire had rubbed the bolt head holding the fender on. The springs where losing their arch.
    Yep - - my first trailer broke a spring and that led to it being replaced (long story). I bought this trailer new in 2018 and had to have both springs replaced within the first year.

I also had a weird problem with the wiring harness where it was blowing fuses when backing into the water. I won’t bore you with that story but if you have something like that happen, contact me and I can point you in the right direction.

A few months ago someone posted about using a center roller to help lift the bow when loading on steep ramps so I made one from some parts I had laying around. It worked so well I improved it with a centering roller. I don’t remember who posted the idea but would like to thank him for a good idea.

13. Member
    Do you think the roller helps center the boat easier on ramps that aren't steep? Where did you get the roller, I haven't seen one with grooves like that before. Thanks

14. Member
    I think people make loading a RT a lot more complicated than it really is. I cannot remember the last time that I rammed the roller with my boat. If you are careful, it would be hard to do. People get too nervous if there is a line for the ramp trying to hurry and think that they don't need to take the extra time to do it carefully.

With the 115 and the RT188, you would have to shower down pretty hard on the throttle ---- OR you are going TOO FAST to begin with OR the trailer is in too deep. Just take it easy and you will be fine. It's odd that the same people have trailer problems.

I have towed my RT and Ranger trailer virtually thousands of miles. Because of where I am, I fish multiple times every week all year long. Some ramps I use would be called primitive. All you gotta do is SLOW THE #$^# DOWN...

I remember one person complaining about the trailer and they backed it into something in the dark and bent something and blamed the trailer. I bet there are a few hundred RT owners here and MOST do not have a problem.....

I am not saying it is the easiest trailer to load that i ever had... it's not. But you can do it without breaking it.

I like that center roller.
    Last edited by FloridaFlyer; 03-20-2023 at 05:54 PM.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Phalin View Post
    Do you think the roller helps center the boat easier on ramps that aren't steep? Where did you get the roller, I haven't seen one with grooves like that before. Thanks
    I don’t know if it would center up on shallow ramps, it may not even touch. It is a couple inches under the keel.
    On shallow ramps the two outboard bunks do a good job of centering. I idle in slowly until the bow just passes the axle then take it out of gear and let the bunks center the bow then slowly inch it up till the transom touches. I then go to the trailer and winch it up the rest of the way.
    I sometimes get into high winds and have to fight it but I never go in hot.

Here’s the roller.

16. Member
    Trick step even has a disclaimer that it can flex the winch stand.
    Guess mine will snap one day and bust my head on the ramp .
    2021 rt188p , Mercury 115 Pro XS CT , Croxton Razor 4XLR 22 , Z lock 4” jack plate , 8’ power pole blades

17. Member
    Thanks Bill. The problem I run into is ramps with big holes washed away in them and my trailer is crooked and loading is a pain thought it might help to keep it centered. If i drive further in then the whole trailer is under water and if I pull forward then hardly any of the trailer is in the water.

I added a new crossmember and a self centering roller to my Triton trailer. with the boat on the trailer the new crossmember is just back from the where the rake of the bow ends. It made loading my boat easier. I also had to redo the winch/bow roller mount. My boat is an older 1860SC that duck hunters had and they were kinda rough on stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Mar...A3I07C5PD33KVE