Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2014 250 Pro XS 5K RPM limit

Long post but I want to make sure all the details are there so I can get the best possible answers! I purchased a 2009 Triton 21X3 with a 250 Pro XS (SN 2B114981). The day I water tested the rig it was miserable, high winds and the lake was full of trash from heavy storms the two days prior. It started right up and idled great. I found a somewhat clear area to give it a little run and it did great, came right up on plane and accelerated just fine. The tach was obviously off but I got up to mid 50s speed wise with little effort and decided that was fine given the conditions. Owner said the boat was not very fast (60-62 gps) at WOT but he'd never really worried about it since the boat had primarily been used for his daughter in high school fishing. It had obviously been well cared for and came with loads of extras so I bought it. After getting it home I started looking into getting some additional speed out of it as I thought it should be a high 60s/low 70s boat. The prop that was on there was a Fury 26 3 blade and the engine looked really low. I took it out a couple of days later when conditions had improved and got 58 mph @ 5k RPMs. Water pressure was nearly 30 psi. I raised the engine about 1 inch and swapped to a 27P Tempest Plus that he threw in (both props look new BTW). Speed improved to 62 MPH but RPMs stayed right around 5K, water pressure was 25 psi. I unbolted the engine from the JP and put it as high as I could (I was maxed out after the previous adjustment) then lowered the JP to be 1/2" higher PTP than before. No change in speed or RPMs but water pressure dropped to 22 psi. I found a 25P Tempest Plus close by and picked it up this morning. Swapped in on the engine and hit the lake...was pretty surprised to see roughly 5k max RPMs and 54 MPH top speed. For a brief second the RPMs went up to ~5300 but quickly settled back to 5k. RPMs are read on my Vessel View Mobile, so I trust they are correct (factory tach runs up to 3500 and stops, seems to read 1500 RPMs low across the board). Decided to swap the 27P Tempest back on and figured something has to be wrong with the engine (my luck with Mercury engines has been so bad the last 3 years after nearly 20 years of great service). As I was taking the prop off I noticed a piece of metal that looked out of place in the cavity behind the prop. I tried to work it out of there to see what it was but I couldn't maneuver it around enough to get it out. I think it might be part of the exhaust tuner or something as it would have had to have fallen down from above. I'm guessing this could be causing the rev limit effect? I had a Phoenix with a 175 Pro XS that the tuner fell off. It idled fine but couldn't get enough revs to get on plane. If the tuner is broke, is there any risk in using the boat until I can get it repaired? I'm sure my mechanic is swamped right now and it'll be 2-3 weeks before he can take a look at it. I might put it on the hose tomorrow after church and pull one coil at a time to see if all the cylinders seem to be working properly. Like I said before, it idles perfect, accelerates strong and sounds/feels great right up to 5k then everything just levels off. I've made a couple of runs held at WOT and there does seem to be a little "skip" every now and again (totally random not like a regular miss) but I can back off to just below WOT and it'll hum right along with no complaints. If the tuner is broke, any ideas on repair cost? The 175 Pro XS repair was $1600 but that also included new reeds.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

2. Member
    I have had similar issues before and it turned out to be a collapsed fuel line. New hose and cleaned out the vst and was good to go again.

25 fury prop, will not get 5900 rpm with a 26
    start with the basics
    Scan computer history and faults
    fuel/air presure test including leakdown rates
    inspect compressor belt and check tensioner spring, minimum 70 in lbs to rotate before it reaches the stop
    compression test
    use a bore camera to check for turned sleeves
    replace fuel lines and primer bulb
    rebuild pulse pump
    wet test plug wires for leaks
    kv test all coils for output
    have injectors flow tested and cleaned
    replace fuel filter and all three oil filters
    water pump and gear lube and clean strainer
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    need a pic of debri in exhaust cavity
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Yup turned sleeves is a very good possibility if fuel isn't issue
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

6. Member
    It was really cold today so I didn't get anything done. Will probably try to get it in to my mechanic this week.
    Joe54 - I tried to get a pic of the piece of metal but I couldn't get it to turn out. It looks like a thin piece of cast metal. I can't tell the shape.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

7. Member
    DewRonInc - how big of a deal are turned sleeves? I've heard that and I think I understand what it is but no idea how involved it would be. I wouldn't attempt the repair, just trying to learn a little.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

8. Member
    Lpugh - the guy I use is pretty thorough but it's good to have some things to ask about. Thanks for the list of possibilities!
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

9. Member
    if it is a spun sleeve its very entailed must be torn down to bare block and repaired
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    if it is a spun sleeve its very entailed must be torn down to bare block and repaired
    Awesome... hopefully it's not that!
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattVT18 View Post
    DewRonInc - how big of a deal are turned sleeves? I've heard that and I think I understand what it is but no idea how involved it would be. I wouldn't attempt the repair, just trying to learn a little.
    Rebuild engine unfortunately
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

12. Member
    Got my rig back from the mechanic Friday. He said compression was good and other than some trash in the thermostats everything was in order. He determined the piece of metal was indeed the divider for the exhaust tuner. He wanted me to take it out for a test run to see what I thought. Ran excellent, 5960 RPMs. I thought everything was great. Fish a tourney Saturday out of it and it did fine. Took it out today to see how it would do with a 27P Tempest + and it could only turn it to 4900 RPMs. I wouldn't have thought going from a 25 to a 27 would make that big of a difference. Gonna put the 25 back on in a couple of days and see if RPMs are back up. The speed is kinda low with the 25, so I might need to find a 26P.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

13. Member
    Should like 26 is best idea
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

14. Member
    prop it for loaded like you use it in extreme heat , humidity 5960 now is perfect , never pull a 26 or for sure a 27 loaded

25 fury 3 first choice, 26 tempest second choice.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You need to drop the gearcase and extract the broken piece of the exhaust tuner. Once confirmed to be the case, the tuner should be REPLACED.

THEN, after that is addressed, start working on props (something in the 25P Fury range is a good starting point for this setup).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Member
    Forgot to update:
    I put the 25 back on and can spin it to upper 5900s. I've lowered the engine via jackplate some and that has improved speed a little. This boat is kinda strange how it behaves, seems like I have to get to full speed trimmed all the down then start trimming up for it to work right. If I get in a boat wake or heavy chop sometimes it will drop the RPMs back down to 5k or so. I can stop, trim all the way down and start over and it like nothing happened. The 25 Fury or 26 Tempest should be just about perfect. Yesterday I was running 66+ mph at 5980 RPMs. I'm a little leary of Fury props due to several guys I know slinging blades.

Don - the broken part was removed and appeared to be from a previous repair before I owned the boat. My guy didn't say anything about the current tuner being damaged.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

18. Member
    still sounds too high to me , digital or analog tach ????

^^^^^^^^^^Yep
    Thank You Leon Pugh

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Matt: Drop that gearcase and snap a picture up inside the exhaust tuner. Odds are pretty high it's a piece from YOUR tuner.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast