Old Ranger - do or don't

There's a 89 363V with a Johnson 150 GT that I may go look at. Owner hasn't used it in 3 yrs, says it runs, no leaks, one livewell pump and one bilge pump don't work. Says the center deck floor is soft. For something to kick around in tough places, I was thinking about it. What do you Ranger guys think?
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

2. Member
    Trim the outboard up and lift the lower unit like a fulcrum and see if there's any flex in the transom.If the center deck floor is soft,you can bet the transom is too.Cartridge pumps are easy to change,but a floor or a transom is going to be time consuming and costly.

3. Member
    Might be worth a look. I would tend to think if you want a boat for tough places though there would be better options. I would think something tin or flat bottom type. Unless you want it to be a bass boat still, which I can respect. Just pondering out loud.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

4. Member
    My only concern would be the softening of the deck. Agree you need to check the transom stability. However, I purchased a 99 374 v with a 175 intruder. Once my mechanic dialed in the Intruder that boat was awesome and exactly what you say you want for tight spaces. I often describe it like driving a go cart. I overpowered the TM and that was key. I could go anyplace I wanted, Great shallow water boat and wasn;t bad in rough water.

5. Member
    Should have a fiberglass transom

6. Member
    I'm not a hater - pretty close to the boat in my sig. I also picked up a GT150 for a project boat. I wonder what parts availability will be like for the motor?

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

7. Member
    Really depends on if you got the tenacity to get her in shape and keep it up.

If you ain't got the shop, tools and know how, it could prove to be an expensive endeavor.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

8. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    I’d say you have the perfect boat to kick around in tough places in. 17 foot aluminum is perfect.

Parts for that motor isn’t a problem and probably won’t be for some time yet. There are still a bunch of those engines pushing boats. They sold the crud outa those engines. For good reason. They are better than anything out there today.

9. Member
    The soft spot on the deck would not scare me as much as the transom if it were soft. I have an retired carpenter who can cut that type of detail to replace the deck but a transom is a different story.

I'm always looking for these kinds of boats to purchase but no deals ever pop up. If the engines runs and the transom is solid i'd buy it without a doubt. Those boats are built like tanks and last forever.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Member
    I didn’t see haul away for free. I’m out.
    92 492vs. 92 Suzuki 225 EFI