2014 Mercury Pro XS 250 starting issue

I have a 2014 Mercury Pro XS 250 Model 1251P73BD Serial Number 2B020826 that always fires up on a cold start - never a problem. But every once in a while last year, after having used the motor to go to 2 or 3 different fishing spots, it will only crank and not fire up again. If I wait for 45 minutes to an hour, it fires up again once more. Whenever the engine is fired up, it always runs like a champ and there are no issues there. I have eliminated fuel being an issue as I have tested for spark when this happens and there is no spark. There are no fault codes on the computer, but it sounds just like it would if the kill switch was tripped. It is not the kill switch either as we bypasses that switch for a while and this issue still occurred. Is anyone able to help with suggestions on what to look for? I'm currently considering changing out the computer but that's pricy especially if it does not solve the problem.

any key on beep and do you hear fuel pumps run for 5 seconds when it is a no start
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    The fuel pump runs and the only beep is the regular "all systems good to go" single beep

4. Member
    check and clean all grnd wires on coil plate you could possibly have a crank position sensor acting goofy
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Another STRONG possibility is Low Battery Voltage. If you have a marginal battery, it may be able to start after sitting idle for 45 minutes, but unable to maintain adequate voltage while the starter spins on a "hot" engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor