Starboard Head Overheat

Engine Serial Number: 1B809127
    Year/Make/Model: 2011/Mercury/225 ProXS
    Prop you are Running: Tempest Plus 25P
    Current Maximum RPM: 6000
    Idle and WOT Water Pressure Readings: Don't know
    Smartcraft or Analog Instruments?: Smartcraft

When I start and idle the engine at the beginning of a the day, the smartcraft alarm sounds with a continuous beep and STBD HEAD OVERHEAT appears. The engine temp spikes (around 155, I believe). Once I get above idle, the temp drops and the alarm goes and warning stops. It doesn't happen again for the rest of the day. This has happened on the last several trips. I replaced the poppet valve and I'm confident that I seated it properly, but it did not resolve the issue.

Any advice on a possible cause would be appreciated.

got to know what the pressure is
    Replace water pump
    clean strainer
    test thermostats in hot water to be sure they do open at 130 degrees
    may have power head gasket failure, leaking at rear of motor to adaptor plate, may be visible with cowlings off, may be leaking into exhaust and not visible, low water pressure at idle with a known good new pump is a sure sign of this
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    ^^^^ check thermostats closely
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Swap thermostats from one side to the other, if problem moves to port it is your thermostats.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Folks: ANYTIME you have a COOLING SYSTEM PROBLEM or Overheating, you should ALWAYS, ALWAYS Start at the SOURCE: The Water Pump.

ONLY after this has been done, and problems PERSIST is it appropriate to start looking at other causes.

Note: Water Pump is an ANNUAL Maintenance item on this engine (once every 364.99 days, or 100 hours of operation, whichever occurs FIRST).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Yup, I always swap mine about every two years or so, seems they always kinda stick after a bit. New ones, no more sticking, plus a new water pump yearly or more
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823