live well question

I'm trying to figure out the plumbing on the 201D cobra boat livewell system, as I am getting paranoid that, due to the age of it, there might be a leak somewhere which will then flood and sink my boat. I can't understand how the water fills the livewell when the boat is on the water, and then doesn't keep flowing to overflow and flood the boat. It seems if there is entry way to the livewell, the water should keep coming in, like it would if there was any sort of hole in the hull. Any help in understanding this would be appreciated.

2. Member
    Mine has recirc, empty, auto. When I’m running on the lake and want the livewells empty I set it to recirc. It’s keeps most of the water out. To fill them I set them on auto and tun my pumps on, when they are filling set it back to recirc. If I want fresh water I put it on auto and they will “empty” while on plane and start to refill when boat stops. Once I put boat out I set the livewells to empty to drain and air out.

you have an overflow hose at the very top of the livewells. If you have a leak, it’s probably from a cracked housing on your pumps. I replaced all my livewell pumps and bilge pumps when I purchased my boat, also rebuilt the valves.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cane72 View Post
    Mine has recirc, empty, auto. When I’m running on the lake and want the livewells empty I set it to recirc. It’s keeps most of the water out. To fill them I set them on auto and tun my pumps on, when they are filling set it back to recirc. If I want fresh water I put it on auto and they will “empty” while on plane and start to refill when boat stops. Once I put boat out I set the livewells to empty to drain and air out.

you have an overflow hose at the very top of the livewells. If you have a leak, it’s probably from a cracked housing on your pumps. I replaced all my livewell pumps and bilge pumps when I purchased my boat, also rebuilt the valves.
    Hey Cane,
    did you take any pictures of the plumbing set up when you did all the work? It would be great that if you did, please post them you we can see the lay out.
    Thank you much
    Frank

4. Member
    IMG_5965.jpgIMG_5983.jpgIMG_5985.jpgIMG_5986.jpg
    Here are the pictures that I have. I replaced the canisters and pumps from the yellow ones to the the updated red ones. I ordered them on amazon.

5. Member
    IMG_5965.jpgIMG_5983.jpgIMG_5985.jpgIMG_5986.jpg
    Here are the pictures that I have. I replaced the canisters and pumps from the yellow ones to the the updated red ones. I ordered them on amazon.
    Cane72
    Thank you so much for the pics and information. Do you by chance have the part numbers for the pumps. I am surprised that the diverters were not leaking being of the same age.
    In my case, even if I set the diverter to ' Recirculate', my livewells partially fill with water, which makes me wonder if they are the issue in my case.
    What problem were you having that made you change the pumps?

Thank you so very much
    Frank

6. Member
    Here are the pumps I purchased for my livewells.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001F...b_b_asin_title
    I updated my pumps because the housing was cracked and it was just time. They were leaking and filling my bilge pump area.

I still get some water in my livewells even if I’m on recirculate. My guess is you need to replace the valves in on your control valve or replace your control balance completely. I rebuild mine when I bought my boat. Rebuilding was east, taking them out was the biggest pain. You can buy a rebuild kit or a new control valve.
    https://store.flow-rite.com/products/marine/valves.html

7. Member
    Here are the pumps I purchased for my livewells.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001F...b_b_asin_title
    I updated my pumps because the housing was cracked and it was just time. They were leaking and filling my bilge pump area.

I still get some water in my livewells even if I’m on recirculate. My guess is you need to replace the valves in on your control valve or replace your control balance completely. I rebuild mine when I bought my boat. Rebuilding was east, taking them out was the biggest pain. You can buy a rebuild kit or a new control valve.
    https://store.flow-rite.com/products/marine/valves.html
    Thank you for all the links and information. I believe that I may need to do everything since they are 20yrs old. I believe that the valves are not holding out the water properly, and like you said, if the pumps are cracked than the water is going right into the bilge.
    I have no complains though, since I got that much time out of them, so it's just time.
    Thank you so much again,
    Frank