Spinning reel trends? Going bigger?

Just curious here; I see a lot of guys like Seth Feider, etc going to strictly 4000 size spinning gear. Who here has made the jump? I need to outfit 4 new spinning rods and I have been annoyed the past couple seasons with my 2500's. Just wondering if the jump from 2500 to 3000 does enough for you, or if going to the 4000 is really that much more beneficial.

2. Member
    I see no reason for any bigger than a 3000 for bass fishing. Any bigger than 8-10 lb test or 20 lb braid I use a baitcaster.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinC View Post
    Just curious here; I see a lot of guys like Seth Feider, etc going to strictly 4000 size spinning gear. Who here has made the jump? I need to outfit 4 new spinning rods and I have been annoyed the past couple seasons with my 2500's. Just wondering if the jump from 2500 to 3000 does enough for you, or if going to the 4000 is really that much more beneficial.
    There's a thread here not too long ago you can peruse - both pros and cons laid out - https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...stripper+guide

Personally I think you choose the reel the rod was designed for, and in most cases the guide train and sizing are chosen with 2500/3000 Shimano/Daiwa reels in mind.

Yes, a handful of American pros are quite vocal about going to 4000 spinners, while Japanese pros (and the companies that make/design those reels) probably think that's nuts lol.

I run 3000 on up to 7-3 rods, and 4000 on 7-6 rods.

The 7-6 rods are mll.....with 10# braid to flouro 7-5lbs.... these rod are primarily Smallmouth oriented. Marabou, ned, okashira, small swim bait. The larger barrel, allows the lighter lures to cast better.
    When making the switch, understand the true speed. The larger reels take up more line, and with many of the light lure techniques they maybe too fast. 3000 is a happy medium size for many rods. The 4000 balances the 7-6 rods nicely.

5. Member
    Also, Daiwa pre-LT sizing, aka Real Four, were larger sized spools per like moniker.

6. Member
    Also to note is that on some brands, going from 2500 to 3000 gives you a deeper spool not a wider spool.

Another thing often forgotten is that the Long Stroke Spool offers more surface area for the same diameter.

7. Member
    People probably went bigger because people were making fun of them for using fairy wands.

8. Member
    Seth went to 4000LT because the prior Real Four 3012 he used prior to the LT models, was essentially the same diameter of an LT5000.

https://daiwafishing.com.au/pages/light-tough

9. Member
    The previously referenced link does have some good discussion, and points for both sizes. Choosing solely from a pro’s “endorsement” instead of trying things first hand makes someone a “wannabe” instead of a “wannado” (in my opinion). You’ve already stated that 2500 reels gives you fits, so that size is simply not working for you even though it’s probably the most popular for bass. I assume you are using high quality reels and setting up correctly with lines? (Low quality really reveals itself in spinning). See if you can borrow someone’s 3000, 3500, or whatever size you’re curious about before making the investment. You might notice other issues, like balance or ergonomics.

10. Member
    Like John said... you seemed to not like your 2500. What kind of annoyances are you experiencing ?

11. Member
    Keep in mind that Daiwa's current "LT" models more closely compares to Shimano's sizing moniker, granted the only difference with Shimano's 2500/3000 is line capacity, whereas there is a diameter difference between a Daiwa LT/Real Four 2500/3000.

IMO, the bigger the diameter, the bigger the first stripper guide should be, and years ago my custom rod builders also shared with me that the first guide should also be further away. There is a formula and IIRC for the stripper guide - it's something like 50% of the diameter of the spool, and then static tests for casting to set the distance.

With factory rods, this is not possible, so it's best to try different combos or take from the data and knowledge of others as to what works and doesn't

This said, some things do help with casting distance aside just the diameter size/stripper guide/distance set to first guide
    ...these have already been noted as various design cues of the spool lip material/design, spool length (long cast design), OG Daiwa reverse taper ABS, Shimano's slow oscillation line lay, etc., and to add different type lines that help with casting distance, as well as the rod.

Regardless of these seemingly endless factors, what is apparent is that you need to test and try out a larger diameter spool than your current "2500", in whatever brand/model/generation threadlines that you are using.

Good luck.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    The previously referenced link does have some good discussion, and points for both sizes. Choosing solely from a pro’s “endorsement” instead of trying things first hand makes someone a “wannabe” instead of a “wannado” (in my opinion). You’ve already stated that 2500 reels gives you fits, so that size is simply not working for you even though it’s probably the most popular for bass. I assume you are using high quality reels and setting up correctly with lines? (Low quality really reveals itself in spinning). See if you can borrow someone’s 3000, 3500, or whatever size you’re curious about before making the investment. You might notice other issues, like balance or ergonomics.
    Yes, I have already ordered, and received a 3000 Twin Power XD, a 3000 Certate, and a 4000 Certate. I am very curious to see the results and what I end up gravitating towards!

13. Member
    Eh really not any difference in a guide train for 3000 vs 4000 size reel. Pull up Fuji's K series calculator and for a 3000 size reel on a 7' rod with a 13 1/2" handle and its a 16H, 8H, 6L, choke guide for a 4000 size reel its 16H, 8H, 5.5M, choke guide (really not a big difference in that 6L vs the 5.5M and then the spacing is the same...20, 8.08, 7.15, 5.98

Granted it's just a starting point but you won't notice a difference...I never start with a 16 anyway, always use a 20, 10, 6 and use cone of flight vs rapid choke but whatever

4000 has a bigger spool, line is going to come off it easier. Weight/balance wise there's a lot of variables reel model, rod length etc...a 3000 Stradic is 7.9oz and a 4000 is 9.9...a Tatula LT 4000 is 7.4oz so a 4000 isn't always heavier.

14. Member
    Yes, I have already ordered, and received a 3000 Twin Power XD, a 3000 Certate, and a 4000 Certate. I am very curious to see the results and what I end up gravitating towards!
    I've never had a Certate but I do have one 3000 Twin Power and it's an unbelievable reel.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Eh really not any difference in a guide train for 3000 vs 4000 size reel. Pull up Fuji's K series calculator and for a 3000 size reel on a 7' rod with a 13 1/2" handle and its a 16H, 8H, 6L, choke guide for a 4000 size reel its 16H, 8H, 5.5M, choke guide (really not a big difference in that 6L vs the 5.5M and then the spacing is the same...20, 8.08, 7.15, 5.98

Granted it's just a starting point but you won't notice a difference...I never start with a 16 anyway, always use a 20, 10, 6 and use cone of flight vs rapid choke but whatever

4000 has a bigger spool, line is going to come off it easier. Weight/balance wise there's a lot of variables reel model, rod length etc...a 3000 Stradic is 7.9oz and a 4000 is 9.9...a Tatula LT 4000 is 7.4oz so a 4000 isn't always heavier.
    Good stuff, thanks for sharing. In regards to 3000/4000 sizes...there is a very big difference between Daiwa prior generation Real Four vs current generation LT. My 2013 Certate 2510-R PE has the same diameter of an LT3000, and a Real Four 3012 is 54 mm, same as an LT5000.

I agree on cone of flight, I'm not so sure rapidly choking the coils coming off a spinning reel would help with better casting distance. Balance of the combo is definitely important to consider, especially with longe rods. Speaking of which, how does the spacing change with longer rods in the 7'6"+ range? I know my Shimano Hard Rocker 83MH has quite a bit different guide set up versus any 7'3" - 7'6" I've owned previously.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Good stuff, thanks for sharing. In regards to 3000/4000 sizes...there is a very big difference between Daiwa prior generation Real Four vs current generation LT. My 2013 Certate 2510-R PE has the same diameter of an LT3000, and a Real Four 3012 is 54 mm, same as an LT5000.

I agree on cone of flight, I'm not so sure rapidly choking the coils coming off a spinning reel would help with better casting distance. Balance of the combo is definitely important to consider, especially with longe rods. Speaking of which, how does the spacing change with longer rods in the 7'6"+ range? I know my Shimano Hard Rocker 83MH has quite a bit different guide set up versus any 7'3" - 7'6" I've owned previously.
    For a 4000 the calculator gives you spacing of 20", 9.04", 8", 6.69" so the reduction train is little more spread out...same guides (16H, 8H, 5.5M)...again I don't follow this but it's what Fuji recommends you start with. I've followed it before and what they suggest for both guide size and spacing doesn't cast as well as how I like to do it.

https://anglersresource.net/kr-guide...ment-software/

17. Big Fish in a Small Pond hoohoorjoo's Avatar
    The purpose of this is to mitigate line coiling off the reel and causing tangles. This is a problem with most fluorocarbon lines, so the larger diameter spool makes looser coils, so less line memory. I use braid to a 5' leader, so a 2500 or even a 2000 size reel is OK for me( I only own 1500 to 2500 size reels).
    The best revenge is to have enough self-worth not to seek it.

18. Member
    4000CXH reels for me. Caldia LT, Luvias Airity, Certate, Procyon LT. My big smallmouth reels! Most of my buddies fish the same size as well. Once you use the size, you'll see the benefit.