Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

T-H Marine G-Force Trolling Motor cable

I was wondering if this is an upgrade over the stock Ultrex pull cable? I know the handle is, but is the cable significantly thicker?
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    I bought the exact same trolling motor cable when I purchased my boat (that came with an Ultrex) in 2019 thinking/hoping it would be an upgrade. Since the cables seemed to be very similar, I decided not to swap the stock Ultrex cable out but kept the T-H Marine G-Force cable as a back up. Four years later, still have not had to swap them out.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twise7 View Post
    I bought the exact same trolling motor cable when I purchased my boat (that came with an Ultrex) in 2019 thinking/hoping it would be an upgrade. Since the cables seemed to be very similar, I decided not to swap the stock Ultrex cable out but kept the T-H Marine G-Force cable as a back up. Four years later, still have not had to swap them out.
    I got 4 years service out of mine. You might want perform a comprehensive inspection.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    I swapped my Ultrex handle/cable out for the Bob's Machine Shop "Big D" trolling motor handle but I can't recall if it was a larger cable.

5. Member
    I know the early ultrex cables were not very good, but if you have anything newer then it is probably about the same. I use a G-Force cable for the handle on my ultrex
    2017 Phoenix 721 Pro XP
    2017 Mercury 250 Pro XS

6. Member
    It's the same thing. I have had them both fail. The g-force cable the clamp in the handle usually comes undone. But I have fixed that on the water by tying a knot in the cable
    Fish have fins, they swim

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    It's the same thing. I have had them both fail. The g-force cable the clamp in the handle usually comes undone. But I have fixed that on the water by tying a knot in the cable
    That doesn't surprise me, all of the direct tension will be right at that point.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    I literally just broke my G Force cable in the middle of the cable. I'm going to try and take the handle off and attach it to my remaining cable.

9. Member
    Not impressed with either so I made my own. You can buy coated cable and a D handle at any hardware store. I beefed mine up.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

10. Banned
    Tone-

i got years and years out of this one:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GOOD-VIBRAT...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

It is $8.00 at HarborFreight™ but can't link the ad for some reason..

Then go by Chinamart™ and grab 50' of Paracord for $5.00

11. Member
    As an added measure of safety I inserted my cable inside a slightly larger diameter section of rubber/ plastic tubing.

12. Member
    I advise anyone with an Ultrex to buy and install the Red One stainless steel sleeve. I wish I had known about this years ago.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Member
    Can’t speak for the ultrex but I quickly replaced my new ghost handle with the G-force. That’s what I was used to with my previous fortrex. Other handle just seemed less stout and fit me better

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    Not impressed with either so I made my own. You can buy coated cable and a D handle at any hardware store. I beefed mine up.
    Made mine with some cable from the big home improvement store, about 15 years ago. Still working.

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115

Snowmobile pull start handle is even stronger. That was my option when the red handle broke in Canada a couple years back. Made my own cable.

2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    what did you use to secure the end of the cable so it wouldn't pull out? I ended up ordering a new G Force but will do what you recommended as a backup plan, in case this one goes to hell, too.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by morrcat33 View Post
    what did you use to secure the end of the cable so it wouldn't pull out? I ended up ordering a new G Force but will do what you recommended as a backup plan, in case this one goes to hell, too.
    Double set screw collar to fit the larger cable.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

18. Member
    My G-force cable broke this winter .. maybe 3 yrs old.

19. Member
    I’m not impressed handle broke on the gforce cable. I got a piece of closet dowel today cut it down, drilled a hole in the dowel. Ran the cable through put a cable crimp on. Been good for a year now. Fixed for now I guess. Guess I should have painted my make shift handle so I could look cooler though

20. Member
    [QUOTE=drainplug;12949289]Snowmobile pull start handle is even stronger. That was my option when the red handle broke in Canada a couple years back. Made my own cable.

When I replaced the pull cord on my Fortrex with 550 paracord (made in USA), I also replaced the OEM handle with a Honda snowblower pull handle, its been 5 years and both are working great !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast