Thread: Tire pressure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tire pressure

Got a 15 fx21 skeeter with 14 size tires what tire pressure y'all running

2. Member
    I just recently searched this forum for the same thing and It seems the consensus for trailer tires is to run them at max psi.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

3. Member
    Is there a tag on the trailer? Some manufacturers have that info on the tag.

4. Member
    What ever th I’d plate on trailer says. If it says 50 run 50. The mfg suggestion is at cold tires

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    What ever th I’d plate on trailer says. If it says 50 run 50. The mfg suggestion is at cold tires
    That works if you have the mfg supplied tires. Go by the max cold on the sidewall of the tire.
    Fish have fins, they swim

6. #FRB
    Always at max psi or close to it.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

7. Member
    Look on the tire, it'll tell you how much psi for maximum load, i think most 14" will be 50.

Trailer tires, or passenger car tires? There should be a plate near the front of the trailer on the inside that states recommended tire PSI.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I run what the tire says to run

Some of the tires like the Goodyear Endurance recommend 65psi for highway speeds.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

12. Member
    Tire pressure should be based off load. The general UHP tire that is on my BassCat is 2,271lbs at max 51 psi. So that gives you 9,084lbs max load. Sorry but my Lynx does not weigh 9,000lbs. No reason to run max psi. Proper psi should be determined by proper contact patch of the tread. This can be done by doing a simple chalk test. Over inflated tires will wear the inner portion of the tire. Under inflated it will wear the edges. Again proper psi is dictated by load.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTRCraft View Post
    Tire pressure should be based off load. The general UHP tire that is on my BassCat is 2,271lbs at max 51 psi. So that gives you 9,084lbs max load. Sorry but my Lynx does not weigh 9,000lbs. No reason to run max psi. Proper psi should be determined by proper contact patch of the tread. This can be done by doing a simple chalk test. Over inflated tires will wear the inner portion of the tire. Under inflated it will wear the edges. Again proper psi is dictated by load.
    Unfortunately, no one save a few guys here is going to listen to you although you are obviously correct. In fact, you will be ridiculed for pointing this out. For those that have single axle trailers and larger glass rigs, it may well be that the max psi the tire mfg states to use in the tire might match this best psi for the load. For tandem axle trailers and just about any bass boat, using max psi is WAY more than is required to safely carry the load and will end up with a bouncer ride that puts more stress the tow package.

14. Member

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyred View Post
    Unfortunately, no one save a few guys here is going to listen to you although you are obviously correct. In fact, you will be ridiculed for pointing this out. For those that have single axle trailers and larger glass rigs, it may well be that the max psi the tire mfg states to use in the tire might match this best psi for the load. For tandem axle trailers and just about any bass boat, using max psi is WAY more than is required to safely carry the load and will end up with a bouncer ride that puts more stress the tow package.
    As an auto technician it’s not any easier to convince people to run the tire pressures on their vehicle placard instead of the tires.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

16. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    That works if you have the mfg supplied tires. Go by the max cold on the sidewall of the tire.
    This is the correct answer. I put higher quality tires on my trailer than what the trailer was delivered with. The cold tire pressure on the tires is 60. 10 lbs more than what the trailer says. I go with what is on the tires -5 since the recommended cold pressure is for max load capability. My boat and trailer are no where near max load of the tires capabilities so I run them 5 lbs light. Under inflation of tires is far worse on them than running at a higher max pressure

How many of you run your truck/car tires at max all the time?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadStiK View Post
    This is the correct answer. I put higher quality tires on my trailer than what the trailer was delivered with. The cold tire pressure on the tires is 60. 10 lbs more than what the trailer says. I go with what is on the tires -5 since the recommended cold pressure is for max load capability. My boat and trailer are no where near max load of the tires capabilities so I run them 5 lbs light. Under inflation of tires is far worse on them than running at a higher max pressure
    is it the correct answer?

How do you define “higher quality?”

Did you do the math to decide that -5 psi would be right for your setup? At what point is under inflated far worse for the tires Vs over inflated? Is 10 lbs low worse than 10 lbs over the limit?

I feel like trailer companies probably do just a little bit of R&D on this stuff.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

19. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    I'll try and explain from my experience and reasoning only. Your and others experience and perspective may vary

My tandem axle Rangertrail was delivered from the factory with Load C rating (1870 lb capacity) tires. When I purchased from the original owner he was running Goodyear Marathon Load C tires. The max tire pressure recommendation on the Marathon is 50 psi which matches the rating and pressure on the trailer and is the pressure that I ran in those tires. It is a six ply tire with a max speed rating of 75 mph

When it came time to replace one of the tires due to a sidewall being damaged by road debris I was going to replace it with another Marathon but Goodyear discontinued this tire so the next viable option was to replace it with their Endurance model. I wanted to stay with Goodyear and considered the Endurance a better quality tire due to its specs. The Endurance has a Load D rating of 2270 lb capacity and is an 8 ply tire with a 65 psi max pressure recommendation and a max speed rating of 87 mph.

Even through the remaining three Marathons had plenty of tread life on them they were older tires and I didn't want to run one odd tire with a different load capacity pressure requirement and max speed rating from the others so I replaced all four tires on the ground plus the spare. I run the Endurance at the recommended max pressure rating of 65 but do not have a problem running them at 60 since that seems to be a pressure they all kind of seek depending on ambient temperatures. When I check them which is often they are all usually at 62-64 and I'm fine with that. I have not noticed any difference with excessive "trailer bounce" between the lower and higher pressure tires that others have mentioned.

Having offered all of this, do you feel I should be running my 65 max pressure rated tires at 50 psi as designated on the trailer? If so please explain why because for now I'm topping the tires off per the recommendation of the tire manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post

How do you define “higher quality?”

Did you do the math to decide that -5 psi would be right for your setup? At what point is under inflated far worse for the tires Vs over inflated? Is 10 lbs low worse than 10 lbs over the limit?

I feel like trailer companies probably do just a little bit of R&D on this stuff.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdi View Post
    How many of you run your truck/car tires at max all the time?
    NOT ME…I chalk the tires on the truck in my signature. Sticker says 35psi front/rear. After chalking fronts are at 34 and rears at 30.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs & 4 step Trick Step
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast