Thread: Tire pressure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
    NOT ME…I chalk the tires on the truck in my signature. Sticker says 35psi front/rear. After chalking fronts are at 34 and rears at 30.
    Thats my point MAX is just for a full load weight. If you have the right trailer it is not at MAX load.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadStiK View Post
    I'll try and explain from my experience and reasoning only. Your and others experience and perspective may vary

My tandem axle Rangertrail was delivered from the factory with Load C rating (1870 lb capacity) tires. When I purchased from the original owner he was running Goodyear Marathon Load C tires. The max tire pressure recommendation on the Marathon is 50 psi which matches the rating and pressure on the trailer and is the pressure that I ran in those tires. It is a six ply tire with a max speed rating of 75 mph

When it came time to replace one of the tires due to a sidewall being damaged by road debris I was going to replace it with another Marathon but Goodyear discontinued this tire so the next viable option was to replace it with their Endurance model. I wanted to stay with Goodyear and considered the Endurance a better quality tire due to its specs. The Endurance has a Load D rating of 2270 lb capacity and is an 8 ply tire with a 65 psi max pressure recommendation and a max speed rating of 87 mph.

Even through the remaining three Marathons had plenty of tread life on them they were older tires and I didn't want to run one odd tire with a different load capacity pressure requirement and max speed rating from the others so I replaced all four tires on the ground plus the spare. I run the Endurance at the recommended max pressure rating of 65 but do not have a problem running them at 60 since that seems to be a pressure they all kind of seek depending on ambient temperatures. When I check them which is often they are all usually at 62-64 and I'm fine with that. I have not noticed any difference with excessive "trailer bounce" between the lower and higher pressure tires that others have mentioned.

Having offered all of this, do you feel I should be running my 65 max pressure rated tires at 50 psi as designated on the trailer? If so please explain why because for now I'm topping the tires off per the recommendation of the tire manufacturer.
    So I would agree that those tires are indeed higher quality by the tire specs.

I would tend to go with the trailer sticker even with the tire upgrade. I understand that the max psi is higher now. So is the speed rating. To say it simply I would say now you can run 87 mph, so should you go that fast every time you get on the highway? The weight of the boat and trailer have not changed, just your tires ability to handle the load. I would run them at 50, but I would also check/chalk them and see how they wear and roll. I really do not feel like that is "under inflated" at all. Again I believe that trailer and vehicle manufacturers go thru a lot of work to figure out what works best, I tend to think they know best. Its very hard to prove them wrong. The tire manufacturer simply makes tires to fit on multitudes of vehicles, trailers, and makes the specs broad enough to work. So if you had a trailer that weighed twice as much you cold still have that same tire and be within specs because it can be inflated to 65 psi, where your old tires for example would not be good enough to use.

All that said I am not saying the way your doing it is unsafe, or even going to cause any kind of issues at all. I just believe that the trailer setup knows what it wants. The tires are just a tool on the trailer, not what dictates how it should be ran.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

3. Scraps
    When I had my C-rated tires I never varied from the trailer sticker of 50psi. Replaced those with D-rated tires and now keep those at 60psi. This was recommended to keep the sidewall heat and wear down. Going by the max on the tire, I don't think that is the correct advice.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    You don't inflate your truck tires to the maximum shown on the sidewall. Why would you inflate your trailer tires to max?

The max on the sidewalls on my Silverado is 44PSI. Can you imagine driving a Silverado 1500 at 44 PSI?

Chevrolet says 32/38. That's what I run. Boat trailer says 50. Guess what I run.

5. Member
    2016 Nitro Z18 175 ProXS Atlas 8" 24 Fury

Quote Originally Posted by gdi View Post
    How many of you run your truck/car tires at max all the time?
    I run Michelin Defender LTX M/S at 35 PSI year round whether towing or empty. Anything over that and the truck rides like a log wagon + there’s no advantage whatsoever to running them any higher.

As for trailer tires, the BassCat has P215/55R15 Cobra Radial GT passenger car tires on it. 44 PSI as recommended on the trailer tag from BCB.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

7. Member

8. Member
    Trailer tires about 5 psi below max. Truck I run 65 in front 70 in rears.

9. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadStiK View Post
    This is the correct answer. I put higher quality tires on my trailer than what the trailer was delivered with. The cold tire pressure on the tires is 60. 10 lbs more than what the trailer says. I go with what is on the tires -5 since the recommended cold pressure is for max load capability. My boat and trailer are no where near max load of the tires capabilities so I run them 5 lbs light. Under inflation of tires is far worse on them than running at a higher max pressure
    Those aren't "recommended" pressures, those are the design pressures. For an auto, the recommended pressure is the one on the door post. Somewhere during the vehicle design some smart engineer designed the suspension system assuming tires with 35psi pressure. That's why they put it on the vehicle to avoid incorrectly using the pressures on the tire.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

So, my old trailer has a sticker that says 36 PSI and I now have GY Endurance tires that say in BOLD-- 65 PSI
    Think I'll run 65 PSI

I don't know about your trailer but mine on my Phoenix has recommended tire pressure of 50psi marked right on trailer. The manufacturer usually knows better than we do. Lol. I wouldn't run max pressure that is marked on the tire. Pressure will rise 1 pound for every 10 degrees in temperature change. As tires heat up it will go above max rating.
    2019 PHEONIX 921 WITH SUZUKI 250SS

Quote Originally Posted by ampdreamer1 View Post
    I don't know about your trailer but mine on my Phoenix has recommended tire pressure of 50psi marked right on trailer. The manufacturer usually knows better than we do. Lol. I wouldn't run max pressure that is marked on the tire. Pressure will rise 1 pound for every 10 degrees in temperature change. As tires heat up it will go above max rating.
    Yes sir the TIRE manufacture --all the trailer manufacturers know is what tire THEY put on it. What if I put a 10 ply trailer tire that is rated for over 100 PSI ??
    As for the ambient air temp going up --Thats why they say 65 PSI (COLD) I figure the tire maker knows about these things.

13. Member
    The trailer manufacturer just like automobiles put on tires that are appropriate for the weight of the trailer and load it’s designed to carry. THEY put on the appropriate tire for their design. Just because you put on 10 ply 100 psi tires does not mean you have improved or upgraded the characteristics of the trailer/vehicle. If you want to put on an overkill tire like that you certainly can, but the max tire psi is just that, max. The reason they use max is because it’s the only absolute number they have. The tire will work for multiple applications, Skeeter might want 40 psi, Ranger 45, Nitro 30, etc etc. I have a 1/2 ton pickup, and because of my lift kit I end up running an E rated tire. Still run them at 35 psi, the weight of the truck hasn’t changed.

I don't know what truck you drive but the sticker on mine shows the ORIGINAL tire size and PSI for THAT tire.

One thing for certain---------I've NEVER ruined a tire that was OVER inflated. Have ruined several that were UNDER inflated.

15. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I don't know what truck you drive but the sticker on mine shows the ORIGINAL tire size and PSI for THAT tire.

One thing for certain---------I've NEVER ruined a tire that was OVER inflated. Have ruined several that were UNDER inflated.
    ^^^^

16. Member
    Well I guess we will simply agree to disagree But hey we did it like adults. We are probably gonna get banned lmao.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

18. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    You don't inflate your truck tires to the maximum shown on the sidewall. Why would you inflate your trailer tires to max?

The max on the sidewalls on my Silverado is 44PSI. Can you imagine driving a Silverado 1500 at 44 PSI?

Chevrolet says 32/38. That's what I run. Boat trailer says 50. Guess what I run.
    Did your boat trailer come with load range C tires? I switched to load range D tires and my single axle pulls way better with them at 65psi than it did with the original C-rated tires at 50psi. I bring them back up to 65psi about twice a year and they're never below 55. Sticker on my Ram says 40 and that seems to be the happy place for most tires I've run on the 3 4th gen Rams I've owned. One set the truck did best at around 44psi in the tires. In other words, it depends...I do like stiffer tires on a fullsize truck.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

The school of hard knocks is a rough way to be educated!

19. Banned
    youtube video's.... Millions of people trying to take new credit for old ideas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12